Blackhawk Down Paper Assignment

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

mr02060
Tadpole

Blackhawk Down Paper Assignment

Post by mr02060 »

Hello Rangers,
I have a question regarding a paper that I have to write over the book "Blackhawk Down" for my military history class this summer. My instructor is an ROTC instructor who is training at Ft. Rucker this summer and is difficult to get into contact with. This is my paper assignment,

1.Throughout the book there are several incidents that show the complexities and confusion of an asymmetrical battlefield. When the U.N. Armored Personnel Carriers (APC) arrived on National Street, Harrell said, “I thought everyone was loaded.” Who was he talking about? Name two other incidents in the book where the leadership either failed to lead or failed to properly coordinate and what negative impacts did it have on the mission?

I was wondering what an asymmetrical battlefield was. The paper has to be 5 pages long (which seems kinda long considering he is only asking a.) who Harrell was referring to and b.) two incidents of failed leadership.)

Any further input would be appreciated. I understand that this book is based on Rangers and other personnel that roam these forums.
"Know What Right Looks Like"
PT Scores:
63 PU's
54 SU's
15:14 2mile
rgrwest
Ranger

Re: Blackhawk Down Paper Assignment

Post by rgrwest »

Just a hint....asymetric means no front lines. There are no divisions between the enemy, local populace and the US Forces. Does that help a bit?
Rgrwest
RC 13-87
C Co, 1-504 PIR, 84-89
B Co, 5th RTB, 89-92
A, 1-501 (ABN), 93-95
C, 2-11 INF (IOBC), 95-98
HHC, 1-509 PIR, 98-02
USASMA, 02- Instructor
OIF I - Feb 03-Jul 03 (Attached OPS SGM)
USASMA, 04 - Student
HHC, 1-30 INF, 3-3 ID, 04-06 (OPS SGM)
OPSGRP, JRTC, 06-07 (TF SGM)
G3, SETAF (Vicenza, Italy) 07-09 (G3 SGM)
mr02060
Tadpole

Post by mr02060 »

Roger rgrwest. Thanks for the clarification.
PT Scores:
63 PU's
54 SU's
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Five pages is a gift for such a complex subject. Focus early and narrowly.
Read some of the other sources out there, Bowden isn't the only reference.
BHD93.com is another place to try & reach Somalia vets, but since you'll be the #5,458,368th one to ask much the same thing, they'll be unlikely to reply, and as those are by & large the same men as here, unless you strike someone's "he seems like a nice lad" button, you'll likely be limited to print resources. Look for Eversman's book for a primary resource. Then come back with specific questions. The men who were there might be more inclined to answer specific informed questions (yes, that's oxymoronic but it works).
Also, get the director's cut DVD of BHD. One of the tracks is the movie, but the soundtrack is a voiceover discussion between several of the vets who were technical advisors to the film. The PBS & HIstory Channel documentaries are also on that DVD set.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
mr02060
Tadpole

Post by mr02060 »

Roger Ranger K.Ingraham, with the sources you've provided anything but an A on this paper will be unsatisfactory.
PT Scores:
63 PU's
54 SU's
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Don't forget the greatest leadership failure of all was when Clinton did not authorize Spectre Gunships and Armor in the first place!

And if it wasn't Clinton, then find out who it was and fry them in your paper! Freakin Armchair Combat Leaders! GRRRRRRRRRR!
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

I'm interested to see what you find on failed leadership and the situations you thought where the leadership either failed to lead or failed to properly coordinate.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
mr02060
Tadpole

Post by mr02060 »

Haha Ranger panthersix I'll be sure to mention that.

Ranger Bravo57 I'll pm you a copy of my finished paper. I'm not too fond of the subject, I'd rather have the option of writing about something a little more positive. However, orders are orders.
PT Scores:
63 PU's
54 SU's
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

so what's not positive about it?

I'd like to know what you think is not positive and if there were positives to be found there.

additionally, why don't you want to deal with it?
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
mr02060
Tadpole

Post by mr02060 »

Ranger KW Driver I thought that the subject of trying to find where leadership failed was not a positive one. But with hopes of becoming an officer one day, learning about failed leadership may be a good thing. I don't mind dealing with the subject at all.
PT Scores:
63 PU's
54 SU's
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

...I am interested in what your instructor would diffine as a leadership failure.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Dan B 3/75
Ranger

Post by Dan B 3/75 »

learning about failed leadership may be a good thing. I don't mind dealing with the subject at all.
Leadership at all levels make mistakes, however, mistakes can not be confused with "failed" leadership.

"Failed" leadership is leadership that fails to recognize mistakes, and pursues a course of action that has been proven to be unsuccessful, or unworthy of the cost expenditure in lives and or assets.

Tactical commanders, and leaders, tend to learn from their mistakes more so than leaders outside of that realm, as they see the immediate consequence and effect of their decisions, and can evaluate information first hand and undistorted by a faulty communication process.

Leaders outside of the tactical realm must either personally confirm or deny a given situation (the preferred technique), or rely on information that may be biased for one reason or another. Often times, commanders will be told what their subordinates think they want to hear due to a lack of intestinal fortitude, personal ambition, or simple ignorance. What separates the good leaders from those unworthy is the acceptance of the truth, be it good or bad, and the willingness to adapt to the truth if it means changing a course of action.

In our history, we have had military leadership at the tactical level that has been very adaptive, flexible, and willing to learn from the battlefield environment. However, we have suffered significantly from CIVILIAN leadership that has REFUSED to accept or understand what it takes to complete a given mission, and has been DISMAL in identifying and issuing quantifiable missions and objectives.

Post WW II, our civilian leadership has insisted our military take actions WITHOUT garnering the support of our citizens, WITHOUT properly resourcing the force, and WITHOUT having the intestinal fortitude to STAND BEHIND THEIR DECISIONS. Our military has been consistently resourced to win the battle, however, we almost always get short changed in being able to win the war. This is due to our civilian leadership. PERIOD.

The battle of Mogadishu is an example of an assigned mission without the support requested or needed. The commanders on the ground KNEW the potential capabilities of the enemy, however, they were denied requested assets to support their contingencies, ie, air assets and armor. The battle of Mogadishu was WON by U.S. forces. PERIOD. Despite an overwhelming advantage in force size, the ground force COMPLETED their assigned mission, and successfully completed a contingency mission to recover a downed aircraft, AND, they conducted an exfil from the objective. While the ground force sustained casualties, the enemy was inflicted a significantly greater number of casualties.

Bottom line: Just because leaders make mistakes, does not mean they have failed. Failure occurs when leaders keep making the SAME mistakes.
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

panthersix wrote:Don't forget the greatest leadership failure of all was when Clinton did not authorize Spectre Gunships and Armor in the first place!

And if it wasn't Clinton, then find out who it was and fry them in your paper! Freakin Armchair Combat Leaders! GRRRRRRRRRR!
Suggestion: Who was Les Aspin? Did he affect the pre-conflict situation?
How? Was his influence on the situation in Mogadishu positive or negative? Why or why not?
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Danny McKnight says the book BHD is about 90% accurate. He has a book "In the Streets of Mogadishu" that will be coming out soon. In Mike Durrant's book "In The Company of Heroes" he clearly places the issue of failed leadership on the Clinton Administration. And so does McKnight. Both of these men have been speakers at 75th RRA reunions and I had the opportunity to spend some private time with both of them. They make no attempt to veil the contempt they have for the Administration's decisions.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

damn Dan, you threw him a whole meal, and not just some free chicken. I was kinda hoping he could apply some critical thinking skills (being in college and all) and get there himself.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long

Return to “The Mosh Pit”