Re-test of the APFT

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Dan B 3/75
Ranger

Re: Re-test of the APFT

Post by Dan B 3/75 »

Ask any competitive runner, and they will tell you that being able to establish and maintain an appropriate pace for your particular run distance is crucial to achieving good times.

This is an often overlooked aspect of the APFT. Most Joe's have never run as do competitors, myself included. Soldiers fail to properly establish proper pacing during the APFT run, and either burn themselves out too soon, or fail to push themselves when appropriate to obtain the best score they are capable of given their condition.

Do some research on running technique, and how to set an appropriate pace. My technique involved a warm up pace for about a half mile or so, a faster "sustain" pace in the middle, and an even faster "kicker" pace at the end.

Techniques I have used to increase speed:

1. Interval training.
-Using a standar 1/4 mile track
-Using on the spot designated reference points along any running route ( ie, telephone poles, stop signs etc...)
-Using time ( ie, pick up the pace for a period of time)

2. Hill training
-Find a good hill, and simply run up and down that bitch for your designated training time.

3. Stair training
-Pretty much the same concept as hill training. Stadiums are excellent for this technique.

4. Pace training
-Timed 2 mile runs that allow you to experiment with pacing in order to identify the right pace you need to get the best times possible.

5. Equipment runs
-ie, running in armor, with a weapon, etc...

Physical condition and technique go a long way, however, always remember that intestinal fortitude will allow you to do more than what you believe you are capable of, ie, run faster. Without intestinal fortitude, you will quit like a pussy when things get uncomfortable, and if you are doing it right, things WILL get uncomfortable. Suck it up, don't quit, and the next time it will be easier.

Return to “About Army Physical Training”