This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

snafu
Ranger

Re: Hi and thanks for a great site!!!

Post by snafu »

VeteranVixen wrote:
snafu wrote:
VeteranVixen wrote: Airborne School then to 3 weeks of RIP and his first duty assignment is listed as Ranger School.

Welcome to the site, Candee. Your husband should double check his orders...this doesn't sound right.
Do you mind telling me in what manner this doesn't sound correct? I'm pretty sure that's what they say - I had him read them to me (I'm currently out of town) so that I could plug some dates into the calendar. I may be wring in calling it RIP as I read that it is RASP (I think) now. His recruiters haven't been much help with telling us about Ranger stuff as none of them even have the tab.

I figured you meant RASP...but what I meant was that if he's going to RASP then he shouldn't be going to Ranger School or RTB to be their rigger as his duty assignment. He'll be in the 75th....so that was my confusion. Not sharpshooting you, just looking out for your husband so he's not sold down the river.....
RSD, HHC 75th RHQ Dec 04-Oct 07
RCC, RSTB 75th Rgr Rgt. Oct 07-Feb 09
1/3 SFG (A) SigDet, Dec 09-May 12
RS 02-06

team 3 best team.
VeteranVixen
US Army Veteran

Post by VeteranVixen »

Oh wait I realize I left out Rigger school - he's off to rigger school prior to Ranger school.
AFN Uijongbu Falling Water South Korea 1998-1999
AFN Vicenza Caserma Ederle Italy 1999-2001
VeteranVixen
US Army Veteran

Post by VeteranVixen »

And no worries about sharpshooting - I'll take all the help I can get. We really have no idea and are happy to learn as much as possible. His recruiter did say that the coding on his contract meant he would be in the 75th after going through and passing Ranger School. We are thinking it's him having the opportunity to go right into Special Ops.
snafu
Ranger

Post by snafu »

Ok, I think you're confusing Ranger School with RASP. He's gonna go Basic, AIT, Airborne, RASP. Then he'll be in the 75th and wear the Scroll (not the Tab..yet) which is separate from Ranger School...they have nothing to do with each other. After he proves himself there, he'll get his shot to go to Ranger School and get his Tab.

Hope that clears it up a little....or maybe I made it worse!
RS 02-06

team 3 best team.
VeteranVixen
US Army Veteran

Post by VeteranVixen »

Here's what his contract says.

Title - Parachute Rigger 92R1O00YY
Title - US Army Airborne Ranger
Option 40
-assoc option 747
1st unit of assignment RGV4
-type BT location Jackson start 2010 07 19
-type PREREQ Jackson start 2010 09 24
-type PREREQ Benning 2010 10 15
-type AIT Jackson 2010 11 08

So does this mean he goes to the 75th first as a rigger and when they decide he's worthy send him to get his Ranger tab?
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

I think you need a little clarification.

RASP is a a vehicle by which men are physically pushed to a point that only those that are physically and mentally tough can complete the tasks set for them. Physical fitness is not enough to survive and excel through this training, mental toughness is a more rare thing to find and is a necessary trait. . You will see it stated here many times; Never Never Quit. Serving in the 75th Ranger Regiment is living the life of a Ranger every moment of every day. With this service comes the wearing of the Ranger Scroll which is the Unit Identifier of a serving Ranger.

Ranger School is leadership school that tries and tests your ability to lead and make good decisions when you are both physically and mentally beyond where most can even function. Successful completion earns the Ranger Tab Award.

Both the serving in a Ranger Unit and the successful completion of Ranger School earns the right to appellation of Ranger. Hope this helps.

I am a Tabbed Ranger and would trade it without a doubt to have served with a Ranger Unit.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
VeteranVixen
US Army Veteran

Post by VeteranVixen »

Hi Ranger al_2ndWolfhounds

I understand everything you wrote. It is very clear thank you for that. What I don't understand is what my husband's contract means. Specifically what is PREREQ at Jackson is that RASP? What is the PREREQ at Benning? Is that Airborne School? Then after he goes to rigger school where is he going? Is he going to rig for the 75th then get tapped to get his tab in Ranger School?

I only want to know so that I know where my son and I will be living. I realize that he has got to get through the mental and physical rigors of the intense training - The clarification I need is about the logistics. I've searched - that's all I've been doing ever since he signed. The recruiters aren't familiar with the ways of the Rangers and my Dad's SF experience doesn't help me either.

I appreciate all the help the Rangers on the site can give.
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

VeteranVixen wrote: does this mean he goes to the 75th first as a rigger and when they decide he's worthy send him to get his Ranger tab?
Yes.
He attempts to pass RASP. If successful he enters the 75thRR. In good time, or maybe not, he'll probably get a chance at Ranger School for his tab.

Thank you for supporting a soldier!
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
RANGER513
Ranger

Post by RANGER513 »

Welcome to our site, Ma'am.
C Co 2/75
1986 - 1992
RS Class 9-87

RLTW

" The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena............ "
snafu
Ranger

Post by snafu »

correction: He'll be going to Airborne before he goes to actual rigger AIT. It's a little different for riggers. Don't know about the Prereq at Jackson but the Benning part is Airborne. RASP is at Benning too, fyi...

My advice for you and your man is to just stay put while he's in the pipeline. Then, once he gets to his final duty station, move there. Unless his training (AIT) is long enough to be considered a PCS move, which I don't think it is, you might not be able to stay with him at Jackson unless it's on your dime.
RS 02-06

team 3 best team.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

excerpt of VeteranVixen wrote:Hi Ranger al_2ndWolfhounds
VeteranVixen, since you yourself are a Veteran of our military you are not required to preface Ranger names such as you have done in the quote above. It is our thanks to you, you earned it, to drop this requirement. However, some of our members have the word Ranger preceeding/following their name, e.i., Ranger Bill or RangerRon & as XRanger . In these cases just the way their name is read - you would write/say it.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Warriorwife
DSOTYR - Ranger Wife

Post by Warriorwife »

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com VeteranVixen
Always great to have another wife aboard.
One of the ladies should be along shortly to offer you keys to the ladies secret squirrel forums, where you will find the wives forum. Many answers to your questions you will find there, and if not, well thats what were here for. Looking foward to getting to know you better on the ladies side of the house.
Thanks for supporting you warrior, and for your service.
VeteranVixen
US Army Veteran

Post by VeteranVixen »

Here's a pic of me that someone (or two) asked about.

So my husband leaves in about 40 days. We're excited to get the adventure started.

Happy Memorial Day, Rangers and all troops past, present and future.

Return to “Introduction Archive”