Doctor Entering Army

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Conack
Embryo

Re: Doctor Entering Army

Post by Conack »

Well, again, I can't speak for any situation you may or may not find yourself in future service, and I don't know if similar positions exist within the US Army, but as for MY unit, should the paramedic to whom the doctor is paired be wounded, the doctor would immediately begin his role as primary caregiver to the wounded, and along with the medical fireteam, they would remove the wounded from immediate danger and begin administering aid/declare death (which only the doc or paramedic can do, which allows for aid to be ceased). The doctor would become a third 'buddy' of another pair who were assigned to that role. Keep in mind the doctor doesn't go into the field when there are small-team operations, only in multiple team missions, and that is part of the reason. Even when we were out-numbered and out-gunned in a small Hezbollah stronghold in Southern Lebanon, the doctor was kept out of the fight and away from enemy fire. (And we annihilated them)

He does have the ability to do basic soldiering, and thats why he spends time at the CT course, but he isn't tested on his abilities as a soldier, and has no mandatory scores he needs to receive, just approval from the unit commander who checks to see if he is able to keep up with us in training. He's brought to a level at which he can defend himself, but whether or not he can actively participate in an assault isn't ever tested because thats not why he's there and its a waste of his training time to keep him at that level. Its better that he know what to do instantly in even the most obscure medical emergency, like say how to manage the treatment of multiple casualties with different wounds during a chemical attack far behind enemy lines, and being able to do that means constant training of all possible scenarios. If he trains full SF as well, there really won't be anything making him better than the paramedic. (In Israeli SF a Paramedic is first SF qualified, then is trained for 12 months EMT training, spends a 1-2 months gaining experience working with civilian paramedics then returns to the unit to train with us and get back into operational level. A Medic goes to a 4.5 month medical course and then enters SF training.)

There is no doubt that going to Ranger School would improve your character and make you a better person as it would anyone, but I'm just concerned that considering your role as a medical officer, the benefit would be primarily yours personally and little to the Army. I am of course not qualified to say either way having not attend US Ranger School myself. I did find the following online, which might help: http://usmilitary.about.com/od/armytrng ... combat.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Doc,

Listen to your heart and go where life takes you. Just don't forget that care of your Rangers comes before a tab on your shoulder. If you can do both equally well, then by all means go to Ranger School. If you have to choose between a 2 month combat trauma course and Ranger School, well, you'll have to do what's best for your mission. Only you will know and only you will live with the consequences of your decisions.

We're here to help you and to motivate you. I'm glad you want to serve with the best light infantry (well it used to be light infantry) unit in the World!
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Terrible Ted
Ranger

Post by Terrible Ted »

Hopeful, check your email/PM's.
A Co 1/75 1991-1995
1/75 2006-2009
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

Hopeful, do yourself the favor and us the courtesy of capitalizing the R in Ranger.

Return to “Recruitment Process”