13F Option 40 question

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Re: 13F Option 40 question

Post by K.Ingraham »

This is addressed all over this site - use the weekend wisely to seek it out.
The 13F brings down the big stuff - gunships, helos, mortars - all sorts of fun things. You have to be sharp and able to think of several things at once and in your head. You also get to haul a heavier ruck full of radios - but that means you'll always know what's going on.
13F slots are very hard to score, you might be real lucky right now.
Last edited by K.Ingraham on January 30th, 2010, 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

wcwilliam7 wrote:I went to meps with the idea that i would not settle for anything less other than an 11x option 40. After getting through all the medical business and finally getting to sit down with the counsellor, I was ready to walk out of his office with nothing to show. I have read a few places on here, and the general consensus is that, do not settle. I did not settle, I told the counsellor i wanted an 11x with an opt 40. He said it was not going to happen. I walked out. He called me back in and called the ROC. The ROC couldn't find one, so I walked out. I walked to the front desk after waiting some time for my recruiter to get there, and i got a message on the paging system, that i was wanted by the guidance counsellor. I went back in to see what they had to offer. The ROC called the Department of the Army, and from what he "says", is that the 11x opt 40's are going to be booked for quite a while.

He said the ROC did come up with a 25C with an opt 40, and a 13F with an opt 40. I told him that it was not good enough, that i wanted the 11x option 40 and nothing else. The counsellor called in a 1SG to have a talk with me. I knew the 13F was a forward observer, but i didn't really know their role within the 75th and the little fine points of the MOS. I ended up putting in a temporary reservation for the 13F opt 40, and go back this Monday to finish up the security clearance and sign the papers (If the 13F is what i want). If the 13F doesn't sound very promising, ill just be bullheaded and piss the fat guidance counsellor off a little more by telling him i changed my mind.

And now, finally my question. How does a 13F fit in with the 75th? I mean, does the 13F always go out with the unit he is embedded with?, or does he only go out on certain missions. I don't know if a 13F always sticks with the unit even in an urban environment, since an air strike or artillery strike will probably flatten a few houses with some civilians inside. But it seems the more i find out about the 13F, and the more i think about it (from my limited knowledge on the matter), i grow increasingly enthusiastic about it.

Thank you to those Rangers and other service members who will help me sort this confusion out.
Quite possibly, the best job in the Regiment bud.
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

I'm remiss in not having reinforced success: Good job there in hanging tough for what you want. Firm but polite is the way to go and you are proof that it can work.
You might not have gotten the 11B, but you got the hard part offered, the Opt.40.
I know Rangers need to eat too, but whatever you do, don't settle for "cook/opt40". :)

RS 9-76

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
FO4LIFE
Embryo

Post by FO4LIFE »

Well i can tell you , quite possibly 13f is the best job of all time . I thought like you for awhile ,before i really knew what my job ment . Now i cant say anything about being a FO in the 75th, but training and such with a infantry unit , we are the " Costco " of destruction . My radio can destroy more men than anything . If you did choose the 13f with Option 40 you wont be disappointed .
Kuster
HHC 2/16 IN
2008- Present
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

13F! Congrats on a good start for a doubly challenging profession!
You have a rare opportunity - do not waste the slot you hold. Use the short time you have to get in shape - work your core, no "pretty boy" weightlifting. You need to strengthen your core, toughen your feet and get into the best possible aerobic shape you can. Train for the maximum scores on the army PT tests, you will not succeed if you just try to 'meet standards'. Read the PT forums here, lots of knowledge..
And most of all, no matter what: Never, never quit.
The Army has just given you the opportunity, the rest is now up to you.

RS 9-76

al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Congratulations on your contract. In Vietnam our FO's nickname was "Killer" for all of the death and destruction he had at his beck and call.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

wcw,
Being an F.O. in the Regiment is fun.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

Return to “Recruitment Process”