Any insight?

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Kynetik
Egg

Any insight?

Post by Kynetik »

I am currently in the process of being approved by MEPS. As of now I have been medically disqualified by the MEPS medical people due to "past psychological problems". According to my recruiter that is an automated response, though, and currently my paperwork is being reviewed by the Surgeron General and I should be able to expect a solid answer within a week or so.
The problem I am having is that during early June, of this year, I went to a psychologist for TWO sessions (mom begged me to go) and when I started the recruitment process they required a letter stating what that had been all about. So! I asked the psychologist to send my recruiter a letter and she sent the worst thing she could possibly come up with. The reason I had gone to a psychologist was that earlier this past year I had been dragged along for six months by a girl who loved me when it was convienent for her. That compounded with arguing with my stepmother every day made me a pretty depressed kid. I felt like sometimes it would just be easier to die, but that was just a fleeting feeling..I never planned any suicide or wanted to die..I guess I was just just a pissed off teenager, anyway..
The psychologist sent a letter stating that I had suicidal ideation with no intent or planning (not true..I was just a pissed off teenager going through a rough spot), that I hurt myself (shot myself with a BB gun to see if it hurt, friend wanted to see how sharp his Ka-bar was so I let him cut me....stupid guy stuff), and that I had a psychological disorder called dysthymia (she never brought this up in our sessions). Now, aside from her just making pretty normal teenage things sound awful, this poor diagnosis impeding me joining the military. Yes, I suffered from a bit of depression, but in my opinion (and the opinion of a follow-up psychologist I went to see based on the recruiter's request) I was just going through a rough time and am (and was) perfectly healthy. The second psychologist said that diagnosing dysthymia after only two sessions is extremely unorthodox and just flat out wrong, in my case.
So my question is, based on the false diagnosis of dysthymia..and only having seen me for two sessions..would it be possible to get this letter qualified as a mis-diagnosis? Or waived (in the event the Surgeon General says no)?

Sorry for the length of all that, and I deeply appreciate any response!!
Kynetik
Egg

Re: Any insight?

Post by Kynetik »

Ranger 3rd Plt Ninja I am not exactly sure what you are implying, so please forgive me if I misunderstand. I didn't really mean "insight" as in for someone to look in to my situation, personally. I meant it to mean advice or a deeper understanding of the situation. I am sorry for the confusion. I noted my difficulties in getting approved for MEPS in my introduction and Ranger Bill suggested I bring up my issues in the medical forum. I was hoping someone may have gone through a similar situation or had some advice on how to get this diagnosis waived (or deleted). I don't think waived is the correct word to use in this situation as I would like to remove the diagnosis from consideration, all together. Absolutely no disrespect intended, and again, I am sorry if I misunderstood your post! Thank you!

Return to “Medical Issues”