Moderator: Site Admin

fender
US Army

Introduction

Post by fender »

Name: Michael XXXX
MOS: 35F
Unit: HHC, 25th CAB

I have visited this site a few times just to browse around and have decided to register.

I would love to attend Ranger School but I feel that I have some what been "cheated" by the army in BCT and AIT. While reading certain criteria that is covered at Ranger School, I realized that I am not proficient in anything that has to do with small unit tactics; simply because we only did it one time in BCT and my current unit has extremely poor training goals. However, I do have the good fortune of having a Ranger CPT in my S2 shop who has personally offered his services in mentoring me up to standard by the end of this deployment. Aside from learning the Ranger Handbook down to every last excruciating detail, I don't have too many opportunities to physically practice its contents.

I am aware of the "Pre-Ranger" School that most Divisions will put you through, but is that an actual learning period/enviornment, or is it a test of what you already know?

I have a lot of time to prepare; has anybody else been to Ranger School that was in the same dilemma as myself?
(Please if you are going to reply to this telling me how I am not the soldier you are, because the Army doesn't train new recruits as well, keep it to yourself. I am already aware, and very frustrated at this fact)

Thanks for all the information that I have already been able to gather through this site!
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction

Post by Jim »

Michael, please take the time to read a number of the threads that talk about the Ranger school experience. It will answer most of your questions. As I probably graduated from the course well before you were born (as are a number of the members of this site), I feel safe in telling you that Ranger school simply makes a good leader stronger. We have a number of members here that are non-combat arms soldiers and the impression I get from them reinforces my comment. Do not feel that you were somehow cheated because your training is somehow deficient. IET is just what the name implies, Initial Entry Training. When you get to your unit you begin to learn what your job is and how you do it. The Ranger Handbook is a great learning tool. I see that you are already deployed, and I suspect you have some spare time on your hands. Take advantage of this opportunity to expand on your training, emulate good leaders and prepare yourself for the next step in life. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Welcome and best of luck to you in reaching your goals, with "luck" meaning preparedness meeting opportunity. Take up the S-2 on his offer to help you prepare and then find the opportunity. Make your own good luck.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Welcome
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com and thanks for your service to our great country!
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
fender
US Army

Post by fender »

So, I know as a member of the U.S. Army I am already expected to meet/exceed the standard.
However, I am just like the other future soldiers in my aspirations to become a Ranger, so I thought I might post up some results just for the feedback.

Just did a self-assessment because we have an APFT coming up.

PU: 103
SU: 108
2MI: 12:34
Pull-ups: 9
I was pretty syked because this is far better than I have ever performed, being a fatty and all.
(Just a note, I tookd the self assessment with a Ranger, so he made sure everything was to standard, reflected by the pull up score)

I realize I'm a little pull up bitch, so I've been working on those as of recently IOT exceed the Ranger standard.
I don't want to say I'm "set" for PT, but I realize I am fairly well off and should focus most of my extra time on rucking.

Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks Rangers!

Return to “Introduction Archive”