Grappling

Hand to Hand, Combative Skills, etc...
Bell

Post by Bell »

Fellas, I won King of the Pit in Ranger School. I was state champion in wrestling. I got golden glove in college. The army gave me a weapon and the only way I'll grapple with the enemy is after I run out of rounds and then I'll beat the shit out of him with that empty weapon. I don't wanna touch the bastards. They just might hurt me. My confidence isn't lacking, I prefer safe.

RLTW
Bell
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

Personally, my thoughts on the switch to grappling was that, at the time, it was a very trendy fighting system. It does have merits, but at the same time it was never practiced in full combat gear. BN seemed at that point to fall into a mentallity of,"If it looks high-speed, then it must be..." This was the same trend with equipment as well. We HAD to use EVERY piece of gear, regardless of its practicality, and it rarely seemed to meet METT-T. Even if its flaws were pointed out, the catch phrase was always, "BN has spent a lot of money on _____, and you WILL use it even if it is unsafe in this situation".
Boattail173
Ranger

Post by Boattail173 »

I went through a Combat Combatives Intructors Course and it was great. The course was taught by some nameless men and everything they taught us had combat value to it. After we learned a certain technique, we put on Kpots, LCE and rucks and did it again. We fought on hills, in sand, and water. Every day for 8-10hrs for 3wks I got my ass kick (I even had to go to the hospital) and it was great, one of the best schools Ive ever been to.
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

Mr. Chin ring a bell?
Boattail173
Ranger

Post by Boattail173 »

Yeah...lol Mr Chin, those guys from Atlanta PD and that big ass MST SGT...that was a great school
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

Pepper Spray is FUN.... :lol:
Bell

Post by Bell »

Charlie wrote:What I was taught and believe is that if you're skilled enough, you won't need to get on the ground or grapple. In the worst case scenario, a guy comes at you looking for a fight or worse, with the proper footwork and novice education in hitting, your opposition should be maimed, k.o., or dead within 3 or 4 hastily exectuted moves. gracie bjj is too formulaic, and sports oriented. if you're going in the ring, with a ref, gracie is the best training. but if there is no rules, fight ruthlessly with simple techniques and you'll be alive after the deed. if i'm not being specific enough, just tell me, and i'll explain myself further.
You are definitely speaking of ideal situations. When you go up against another "expert" it will usually wind up on the ground.

You come on down to Texas and I'll show you what fighting is all about. Fuck that formalistic training and that religion of a certain style. When you go head to head with a rounder you wind up on the ground. Kicking and gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer is a true statement.

Ideally, we'd all love to hit a guy once and watch him go down. Doesn't happen. Usually pisses him off. 3 or 4 hastily executed moves and he's down? I wish. Saw an Australian friend of mine beat the pure shit out of a karate expert with a pool stick. When the fight was over my friend leaned over and told him you may know karate but you don't know shit about fighting.

RLTW
Bell
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Bell wrote:
Charlie wrote:What I was taught and believe is that if you're skilled enough, you won't need to get on the ground or grapple. In the worst case scenario, a guy comes at you looking for a fight or worse, with the proper footwork and novice education in hitting, your opposition should be maimed, k.o., or dead within 3 or 4 hastily exectuted moves. gracie bjj is too formulaic, and sports oriented. if you're going in the ring, with a ref, gracie is the best training. but if there is no rules, fight ruthlessly with simple techniques and you'll be alive after the deed. if i'm not being specific enough, just tell me, and i'll explain myself further.
You are definitely speaking of ideal situations. When you go up against another "expert" it will usually wind up on the ground.

You come on down to Texas and I'll show you what fighting is all about. Fuck that formalistic training and that religion of a certain style. When you go head to head with a rounder you wind up on the ground. Kicking and gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer is a true statement.

Ideally, we'd all love to hit a guy once and watch him go down. Doesn't happen. Usually pisses him off. 3 or 4 hastily executed moves and he's down? I wish. Saw an Australian friend of mine beat the pure shit out of a karate expert with a pool stick. When the fight was over my friend leaned over and told him you may know karate but you don't know shit about fighting.

RLTW
Bell
This is more like what I've seen in my experiences!
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
warrior
Embryo

Post by warrior »

If you would allow me Rangers. All I can say is based on my experience as a fighter and student of combat. The best attribute to win a fight is what everybody calls the killer Instinct: seeing your salvation through the destruction of the threat no matter what, you have to get that tunnel vision to be sadistically ready to inflict destruction and overcome pain. Once you have that instinct and the heart to carry it to fighting, a mastery (yes, efficient execution) of simple skills (in H2H survival combat (streets,....): mainly striking, and some basic grappling techniques to go back to striking ASAP) is all is needed with some solid physical conditioning. Grappling will force you to commit too much attention and time to one threat (then you can be surprised by other standing attackers) and to be pinned down on the ground (and you won't be able to avoid the attacks with manoeuver or just "get the hell out".There is a difference between an athlete and a fighter. An athlete's primary concerns are physical, a fighter's primary concerns are mental.
I may be wrong, but I was only trying to bring in some inputs.
Dublo
Ranger

Post by Dublo »

Nike Cat wrote:where can I get some of that killer Instinct?
Dollar General dumbass. If you don't have it already, you won't.
I was in 2/75 from 97 to 00. 5-99

"He only loved people, he thought, who had fought or been mutilated. Other people were fine and you liked them and were good friends; but you only felt true tenderness and love for those who had been there and had received the castigation that everyone receives who goes there long enough." Ernest Hemingway

Return to “Close Combat”