GPS at Ranger School

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
missmouse97
Embryo

GPS at Ranger School

Post by missmouse97 »

Hello Rangers,

My name is Tarah. My fiance will be going to Ranger School in February, and I saw on the "Optional Items" part of the packing list that students can have a hand held GPS device (Simple, non-mapping, no wrist style). I used the search option on the site, and saw some posts about GPS, but they all referenced mapping types. I am wondering if anyone has knowledge of what brand/model would be the best for me to purchase for RS. Thank you all for your service and I would appreciate anyone pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks!
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Re: GPS at Ranger School

Post by rgrokelley »

Oh you fookin' sissies! A GPS!! Did you bring enough for everyone in the class!!! :roll:

Back when I went through you had to magentize a needle and put it in a Copenhagen can! (hey, this is no shit... I really did have to do that in ILRRPs winter survival course in Germany)

What's next? An IPhone with an app to tell you what OPFOR has MRE leftovers in his pocket?!!
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

POST DELETED BY ADMIN
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

We issued a shit load of wrist GPS's to my Bn.

Why not ?....they are going to use it in combat ....I am sure everyone freaked out when the first ranger class carried PRC 110's
or got all upset at them with a PRC 126 at the squad level....

I am surprised they havent incorperated mounted patrols in Ranger school .....and a street level engagement with locals ....or working out of a FOB instead of a Patrol base ....no camoflage paint and a KBR chow hall ....train as you fight ?....right?...

The Tab is a school after all .....
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Ranger uses GPS now. Land Nav is still in effect for testing and, depending on the RI, GPS in FTX is limited. On the plus side, they're invaluable for emergencies. At PRC we don't allow stud to have a GPS at all although it's on the packing list. Being caught with one is SOR on the spot.

Have him invest in a Garmin E-Trex that can aquire sattelites quickly. I recommend a used one as there is no sense in paying for top-line gadgets that are going to be hammered to shit anyway.

Since he cannot use one at PRC I cannot stress enough that he should focus on pure Land Navigation.

Besides, all it takes is for the CSM to get pissy and they're back to no more GPS.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
missmouse97
Embryo

Post by missmouse97 »

Thank you Ranger Kilted Heathen. I will look into those. I was wanting to purchase on for him for Christmas, so I just want to make sure I am buying one that will meet the restrictions in place. Thanks!
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

rgrpuck wrote:We issued a shit load of wrist GPS's to my Bn.

Why not ?....they are going to use it in combat ....I am sure everyone freaked out when the first ranger class carried PRC 110's
or got all upset at them with a PRC 126 at the squad level....

I am surprised they havent incorperated mounted patrols in Ranger school .....and a street level engagement with locals ....or working out of a FOB instead of a Patrol base ....no camoflage paint and a KBR chow hall ....train as you fight ?....right?...

The Tab is a school after all .....
Actually Sarn't Major Ranger has recently been doing more vehicle movement annexes there is some level of FOB incorporation and bay planning with the usual Patrol Base and field planning. Ranger actually doesn't fucking wear camo paint anymore.

Before you thumb yourself in the eye, the course still sucks and the new CSM is...awkward.

There's still hope.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

missmouse97 wrote:Thank you Ranger Kilted Heathen. I will look into those. I was wanting to purchase on for him for Christmas, so I just want to make sure I am buying one that will meet the restrictions in place. Thanks!
Since it's christmas it'll have to be new. I wouldn't spend more than 100-150 bucks. He just needs the basics and don't get him shit with sexy apps and internet crap, that's a NOGO.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

Phantom
Ranger

Post by Phantom »

Ranger School is a joke...it's in need of a MAJOR overhaul which isn't going to happen anytime soon. Advocating the use of a GPS with the reasoning that it's done overseas is about as narrow-minded as you can get.

Wait until we go to war in triple canopy jungle again. Everyone will be wondering why our Ranger qualified leaders can't find an objective or an LZ.

We are teaching warfare, and it's terrain based for a reason. If we are not going to teach it that way just move entire god-damn school to Ft Bliss and reactivate 7th RTB.
Last edited by Phantom on December 12th, 2009, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
missmouse97
Embryo

Post by missmouse97 »

Rangers,

Thank you for the replies. I am really just looking for a good Christmas present, and thought that might be helpful in RS. I have read many of your posts and have read to use whatever advantages you can to get through. I found it odd that they were allowed to bring one too!

Tarah

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”