Army OKs Sikh Doc to Wear Beard, Turban

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Army OKs Sikh Doc to Wear Beard, Turban

Post by BruteForce »

NEW YORK -- The U.S. Army will make an exception to a decades-old rule and allow a Sikh doctor to serve without removing his turban and cutting his hair, an advocacy group said Friday.

Capt. Kamaljeet Singh Kalsi is the first Sikh to be allowed to go on active duty with a turban, beard and unshorn hair in more than 20 years, according to the New York-based Sikh Coalition.

The decision does not overturn an Army policy from the 1980s that regulates the wearing of religious items, Acting Deputy Chief of Staff Maj. Gen. Gina Farrisee wrote in a letter to Kalsi dated Thursday and posted online by the Sikh Coalition.

More Follows

------------
What's next, transgender males wearing female uniforms? When you sign-up and pledge the oath, you do it knowing there are certain grooming and uniform expectations..
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
IntelToad
Ranger

Re: Army OKs Sikh Doc to Wear Beard, Turban

Post by IntelToad »

I once read that the Indian Army actually has modified jump helmets for Sikhs that serve in their airborne units so they can wear their turbans when they jump.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

This is going to set a bad precedence.
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

You know, in an environment where all elements are intended to seamlessly work as one, going to great lengths to stand out is going to do nothing for your cause.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

BruteForce wrote: What's next, transgender males wearing female uniforms?
It's fucking coming for sure........
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Aw, come on... It's change... It's all good...
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
CloakAndDagger
US Army Veteran

Post by CloakAndDagger »

If he's the first to have this approved in twenty years, the not -one-, but -two- Sikhs in my reserve unit when I joined in '97 must have had at least 8 years time-in-service. They both wore beards, turbans, and (reputedly) concealed daggers. One of the two was our battalion commander.
another damn texan
Ranger

Post by another damn texan »

Nomad wrote:This is going to set a bad precedence.
I couldn't agree more.
Bco 3/75 1993-1996
RS 1-95
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

And if he passes ROP does he earn a tan turban?

:evil:
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
ma91c1an
Triple Canopy

Post by ma91c1an »

One of the "five K" precepts of the Sikh faith is that they must also carry a kirpan or "strapped sword" on their person. Many "modern" Sikhs often carry a small, notional, symbolic dagger. Old-style Sikhs carry a real-deal blade.

They are a warrior faith. They have a tradition of serving as bodyguards to the Indian head-of-state. Even after they assassinated Indira Gandhi.

I have known observant Sikhs, and I liked them immensely.
-------
Classes 12, 13, and 14-81.
Company A, 2d Battalion (Ranger), 1st Platoon, "Bad 'Muthers," 1980-1984;
SFQC 4-84.
Company B, 2d Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne), ODA 151, 1984-1986.
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

I think some of y'all need to do a bit of research. Back in the draft Army this was allowed. Crack one of the old AR-670-1s from the time and you'll see drawings of Sikh with turban and beard. This continued until the 1980s. Sikhs tend to be the bad-asses of India. Not as bad-ass as Ghurkas, but pretty close.

If y'all judge, based upon hair length and beards, then the Special Forces of Vietnam and the Rangers of Grenada should have a conniption looking at the long-haired Rangers, and beard wearing SF of today.

So, are they any less warriors due to their appearance?
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

I was going to post yesterday but didn't feel like getting into an interweb fracas. But, I personally have no issue with them wearing this stuff. They're not 'on the line' where (purportedly) hair length/grooming is more a requirement of function versus looking good. I've always thought the Army makes too big a deal out of hair and clothes at the expense of common sense and mission needs, but that's an arguement that I'm gonna lose against a bunch of guys who wore high and tights as the standard. I get it if there's an NBC threat and everyone needs to wear a p-mask. I get it if it's 120 degrees and turbans would prevent effective patrolling or wear of a Kevlar. I get it if dude's in the old guard and his look would detract from the ceremony. I don't get it if he's in a hospital and we need his skill sets.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03

Return to “The News Dump”