Creeping Death

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
pjd
Ranger

Post by pjd »

Saw a few familiar names and figured I jump in. I was in 2nd Squad, 1st Plt, A/1/75 in 96-97. Meglan was a SSG then, and Weapons SL, as has already been stated. He left to be an RI right about the time I left Batt. I'll never forget, I had broken my back on a jump and had the dreaded profile, which put me into a tail-spin with depression and on the booze. I got in trouble and SSG Meglan called me a "shit-bag." :D I'll never forget b/c even as I was stepping on my junk and getting in trouble, my SL (SSG Roberts) still called me a "model Ranger," yet Meglan called it like he saw it, which opened my eyes to how bad I was screwing up. Thanks to his verbal kick in the pants, I pulled my head out of my fourth point of contact and, even though my broken back eventually led to a discharge, I spent the remainder of my time out of trouble and actually excelling at what I was doing, although not in a Rgr Batt. Also had the pleasure of having him teach me EPW searches on an O3 from 82nd - there's something about watching a Ranger NCO "thump" an officers eye that brings a smile to my face.

If you get Outdoor Living Network (OLN) on cable, there is a show called Best of the Best, about Best Ranger a couple years back, they still show it about once a month. I'm pretty sure Meglan is one of the Rangers doing the Ranger Creed. Its a profile shot, so I cant be postitive, but it looks and sounds just like him.
mtn-rgr
Ranger

Post by mtn-rgr »

Creeping Death & Vega... who are you guys? I'm 1SG (ret) Tompkins. Was WSL & PSG of A 1/75 from 87-91. My 1st Squad called themselves creeping death. Are you some of those guys?

mtn-rgr
It's only 300 more meters men...

A 1/75
5th RTB
RTB OPS
4th RTB
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

mtn-rgr wrote:Creeping Death & Vega... who are you guys? I'm 1SG (ret) Tompkins. Was WSL & PSG of A 1/75 from 87-91. My 1st Squad called themselves creeping death. Are you some of those guys?

mtn-rgr
1SG,

This is your 4th post on this board without the required introduction, please make one ASAP and before you post again.

Thanks
ma91c1an
Triple Canopy

Post by ma91c1an »

mtn-rgr wrote:Creeping Death & Vega... who are you guys? I'm 1SG (ret) Tompkins. Was WSL & PSG of A 1/75 from 87-91. My 1st Squad called themselves creeping death. Are you some of those guys?

mtn-rgr
Welcome, 1SG.

Please enter the wire through the correct access point by posting an introduction.

Thanks.
-------
Classes 12, 13, and 14-81.
Company A, 2d Battalion (Ranger), 1st Platoon, "Bad 'Muthers," 1980-1984;
SFQC 4-84.
Company B, 2d Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne), ODA 151, 1984-1986.
basicload
Ranger

Re: Creeping Death

Post by basicload »

I was the SL for "Creeping Death" as well as the Platoon Sergeant for that platoon. I still have a going away plaque that has creeping death on it.

I told LTC (now General) Votel that Creeping Death was the "point squad for the 75th Ranger Regt". If you placed the ENTIRE Regt in a movement to contact (approach march technique), A-1-1 would be on point for the entire REGT.

Since a good A-team leader makes a squad really run, I would tell my ATL's during counseling that they were the point man for the entire REGT. The TL for the lead team, of the lead squad, of the lead Platoon, of the lead company, of the lead Ranger Bn, of the entire REGT.

Several no-shit war Heros have held the title of Creeping Death Squad leader.
Cco 1/75 91-95
RTD RIP/PRE RANGER CADRE 95-97
Aco 3/75 97
Aco 1/75 00-03
RIP Class 6-91
Hooah School class 6-92

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”