Heat Casualty

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Heat Casualty

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

I wanted to tell a little story about yesterday:

Here goes:

The FL Trail, starting at Juniper Springs and going to FR-10. The naked people were still at Hidden Pond, but clothed this time. I think they live there.

21.45 miles of SUCK. I was a heat casualty for the first time in my f*cking life, an actual heat casualty...as in, seizure and maybe death was very close. This sh!t happened at around mile 15 or so, in a 45 minute time span.

Both calves locked in the foot pointed down position and continued to tighten beyond the point that my feet could no longer tilt downward. I fall over, and it hurts severely. My pulse gets faster and faster, and I start to fade out. I'm out of the 1.5 gallons of water and electrolyte mix and food I brought and still have 6 miles to get back to my vehicle. I roll over on my back and try to control my breathing to relax my pulse for about 30 minutes; it doesn't work. My arms start tingling bad and start to curl up; I can't move my hands more than about 6". I jerk my body as hard as I can and knock my pack over, and shimmy up to it and miracle my cell out and holy jesus I have signal. I'm almost totally incoherent, and can barely speak at this point. I call my Mom and ask her to call Juniper Springs and tell them that I'm not going to make the 5:00 closing deadline. At least, that's what I was trying to say. She calls 911. I call her back to tell here my coordinates, and they come out all f*ucked up. I am now lying on my back again and throw up everything I've eaten all damn day all over myself, in my hat...everywhere. I continue to dry heave for about 3 more hours. It's the only thing that kept me conscious, even though I couldn't form sentences or move.

911 calls me and has me call them back so they can get a fix on my cell, and I stay on the phone with 911 for 4 more hours or so. During this time, after 2 hours, my legs and arms start to work again. I move on down the trail, cross the creek, walk some more and collapse. I move down the trail some more, and this is where I remain until the Sheriff's helicopter finds me, which took a long time. It took even longer for the Medics to walk to me, once they realized they couldn't land the helicopter or drive anything to me. By this time, I've had a little water and am feeling mobile, and we all walk out, at night, blazing our own trail through the woods like bulls in a china shop. The blazing the trail part I thought was stupid; I told the deputy I would stick to the trail because I know it, if it were me.

21.45 miles from Juniper Springs to FR-10 to the Sinkhole back to FR-10 and Juniper Springs. I had originally intended to just og to Hidden Pond and back, ~12 miles; but no, I pushed on, and on, and finally made it to FR-10 when I saw a sign for a sinkhole. I just had to go see the Sinkhole, which added about 1.5 hours of hiking, which made me late. I was moving at 5-6mph pace for over an hour without any water when my body said, "I'm done."

My new motto: You're not pushing it until you need to be medivaced out of the woods and walk out instead.

All joking aside, the Sheriff's Office, the Fire Rescue, and the park personnel went above and beyond to take care of me. I feel like a total asshole for being a heat casualty pussy and wasting a crap load of county money; but I respect the guys that came to my aide even more than I did before.

The good news out of this, is I'm improving for Bataan in March, and haven't died yet. :D Some things I've learned about my body/mind: There's nothing I can do when my body just totally stops working; other than that, I have full control and have no issue pushing through pain and weakness. The bad news is, I have to experience something before I can fully understand it; an unfortunately being a heat casualty was one of those things that's never happened before, so...
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
RRDTm3
Ranger

Re: Heat Casualty

Post by RRDTm3 »

hahahahahaha, you feel out of your own movement....................................................BTDT :?

DRINK WATER
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

That had to suck!
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
dbmtrman
Ranger

Post by dbmtrman »

Sounds like LE put a lot of resources into saving your ass. Hope you don't get billed for all the time and money it took to get you out.
RLTW!
RS 4/85
B Co. 1/75 84-86, HAAF
HQ 11 SFG (USAR) 86-87

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel
ma91c1an
Triple Canopy

Post by ma91c1an »

Bro, you need to get some blood work done, and some urinalysis.

No shit.

This is not a trivial matter.

You need to ensure that your body is recovered before you put yourself into that situation again. You also need to remember that once you are a heat casualty, that you can go down faster and easier a second time.

You really need to keep tabs on yourself.
-------
Classes 12, 13, and 14-81.
Company A, 2d Battalion (Ranger), 1st Platoon, "Bad 'Muthers," 1980-1984;
SFQC 4-84.
Company B, 2d Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne), ODA 151, 1984-1986.
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Thanks for the replies, Rangers. I didn't think about getting labs tested for any issues. I've called the VA and am awaiting a return call to schedule an apt. I would have gone right back out there once feeling better.

When I'm gtg, I'm moving my training area to one of the main forest roads. It has tons of sand and some elevation change, not much, but this is FL. It's easily accessible for a truck or 4wd vehicle. I'm also starting small and incrementing gradually instead of just going until I fall out.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Also, my lower left leg is pretty sore, and stiff as hell in the morning. I feel a little weak still; but am walking around and eating and trying to replenish nutrients. Hopefully, the labs will come back with good news.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

The Army now requires a minimum one year Profile for a heat Casualty. Then you have to be reevaled for a MED Bd.

Majic man is correct this is nothing to fuck with and will effect you for months ....possibly years to come.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Well, any of you Docs can refute this if you want however....once you have had a heat related injury it will always be a risk factor for you and you will be more at risk. Rangers, athletes, doesnt matter. Heat kills and they know it. Tough is nice but death sucks.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

Rock Island Ranger wrote:Well, any of you Docs can refute this if you want however....once you have had a heat related injury it will always be a risk factor for you and you will be more at risk. Rangers, athletes, doesnt matter. Heat kills and they know it. Tough is nice but death sucks.
Why is that? I've always wondered why heat, and cold, injuries are easily repeated. Does anyone know why the body does that?
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Sorry Bro! Doesn't sound fun. You have already gotten the good advise so I will just PAY ATTENTION TO 'EM!
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

rgrokelley wrote:
Rock Island Ranger wrote:Well, any of you Docs can refute this if you want however....once you have had a heat related injury it will always be a risk factor for you and you will be more at risk. Rangers, athletes, doesnt matter. Heat kills and they know it. Tough is nice but death sucks.
Why is that? I've always wondered why heat, and cold, injuries are easily repeated. Does anyone know why the body does that?

kinda like the 1/75 guys, sucka dick once......................
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

RRDTm3 wrote:
rgrokelley wrote:

kinda like the 1/75 guys, sucka dick once......................
Right....similar to weight control. Once you get chubby, it sticks like super glue. Oh, Im sorry fatty....you were sayin?
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

wow
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )

Return to “Medical Issues”