Other (please explain)
13%

Total votes: 30

Nomad
Ranger

Re: What's your take on North Korea?

Post by Nomad »

You're absolutely right and therein lies the problem:

Everyone knows he, Kim Jong Il, is capable of invading at a moments notice. His decisions completely mirror those of the SH regime in IZ. Nothing has nor will stop him, even if he is given a stern lecture by China. He is a classic psychopath. Now he is one with nuclear capabilities and he'll see how far he can push the envelope. NOBODY should wait to find out.
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Kim Jong-Il & his daddy already starved a quarter of his population to death, he doesn't fear our attack. The historical lesson NK is built upon is that they can ride out our attack, they have once already - the country has been rebuilt with Round II in mind. Remember, we totally obliterated everything north of the MLR in '50-'53, including every single possible civilian target, once the military variety became impossible to destroy or was beyond the reach of the B-29s. The bastard has sustainable evidence that he can get away with it, even assuming that he believes that we'll react strongly to any provocation - IraqII aside, there is little evidence that we would.
Seven million South Koreans & most of that nation's wealth is hostage to 8,000+ tubes and launchers already in place.
NK can destroy Seoul and much of the Republic's infrastructure from a standing start from the current depositions of their artillery - indeed, the NK military has been located in the jump off points for years.
Fortunately, the NK army is manned by North Koreans who've never had a square meal in their lives, so we can hope that they pass out from exhaustion in the first 700 meters of the movement to contact :lol:

Seriously, after the non-response of the west & the Obamanation to the missle launch at Japan a few weeks ago, I'm sure KJI is quaking in his slippers at the threat of the really, really severe adjectives that Hillery&Co will be hurling in his general direction in coming weeks.
At least we have won back the respect of the French :roll:
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Who knows. Everytime the world attention focuses on something other than him he starts his tyrades, threats, and "focus on me" shit. He wants to be feared and considered a world power. It makes you wonder. Why is it that his inner circle doesnt just cap his ass and move on. If he had or NK had 1/8th the industrial might of SK, they would in fact, be a scarey force. Both economically and militarily. But, sustainment will always be an NK problem in conventional terms as well as a Nuclear exchange. His vision is limited to his nose.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
173dave
Embryo

Post by 173dave »

I say nuke em but Obama dosnt have the balls.
It's better to be pissed off than pissed on!
173rd Airborne, Vietnam 6/70 to 1/71
Ranger175csar
Ranger

Post by Ranger175csar »

Thats ok.. Obama now feels Ack-ma-did-a-dude and his Iranian Country of houlagans is in need of Nuclear Power for energy... And may advocate for it if he promises it is all used for peaceful purposes.

No im not spell chekcing.. i'm drinking and lazy tonight
Collins

1/75 HHC 94-96 S-4
RIP CLASS 7-94

Fuck em if they cant take a joke.....
Rangertab1
Tadpole

Post by Rangertab1 »

Time will tell, but each day that goes by, pressure rises. His son will be an interesting player in Eastern politics, if he gets that far. China uses them like a dog on a chain tied to the tree out in the front yard. Keeps them feed just enough to stay alive and growl, bark and maybe bite anyone that gets close enough.

Since oil and it's byproducts are the most important resource on the global market, take a look at the top 3 refineries in the world. #2 and #3 are on the southern part of the K. peninsula. They are part of all strategic conversations, both ours and theirs.
Outstanding! I get to lead my family through humanity's next mass die-off. -Me

Commissioned, Lamar University - 19 December 1992
Ranger School Class 10-93
S4 RSE PL, 2/75 93-94
DrD
Tadpole

Post by DrD »

TC204 wrote:
So you feel he'll risk his whole country just to be a tough guy for a few minutes? Because a few minutes is all that country will have if they launch a nuke against us or our allies.
If they launch a slightly forward cyber attack, they could easily disrupt our response capabilities. I have been watching most of our infrastructure, business, and military networks being systematically tested. China says they will have full cyber war capability in 5 years (no shots fired), but the folks I run with agree it will be in a year, 2 at the most. Anyway, I agree with Ranger Rangertab1... NK is a dog on a leash, and China is holding that leash. They will attack if they are told to, as part of a broader multi-nation attack. But, man, that guy is crazy. Crazy people are tough as shit to predict. :lol:

DrD
~Black Raven~
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

DrD is correct, but the DPRK has already gone to cyberwar. They are constantly probing western systems and exploiting where they can.

On another front, the US has prepared our response! (I'm not sure the source)

Obama: We are Prepared to Consult Thesaurus
One day after North Korea launched a successful test of a nuclear weapon, President Obama said that the United States was prepared to respond to the threat with "the strongest possible adjectives."
In remarks to reporters at the White House, Mr. Obama said that North Korea should fear the "full force and might of the United States' arsenal of adjectives" and called the missile test "reckless, reprehensible, objectionable, senseless, egregious and condemnable."
Standing at the President's side, Vice President Joseph Biden weighed in with some tough adjectives of his own, branding North Korean President Kim Jong-Il "totally wack and illin'."
Later in the day, Defense Secretary Robert Gates called the North Korean nuclear test "supercilious and jejune," leading some in diplomatic circles to worry that the U.S. might be running out of appropriate adjectives with which to craft its response.
But President Obama attempted to calm those fears, saying that the United States was prepared to "scour the thesaurus" to come up with additional adjectives and was "prepared to use adverbs" if necessary.
"Let's be clear: we are not taking adverbs off the table," Mr. Obama said. "If the need arises, we will use them forcefully, aggressively, swiftly, overwhelmingly and commandingly."

RS 9-76

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Making sure our view is distracted while the son is installed as the next "Great Leader."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/ju ... im-jong-il" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Serious post now. Some of the analysis from NPR last night suggests the possibility that the military is not behind #3 Son. Could a power struggle be in the offing?
Last edited by K.Ingraham on June 4th, 2009, 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

RS 9-76

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

K.Ingraham wrote:Serious post now. Some of the analysis from NPR last night suggests the possibility that the military os not behind #3 Son. Could a power struggle be in the offing?
My point, exactly.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
DrD
Tadpole

Post by DrD »

K.Ingraham wrote:DrD is correct, but the DPRK has already gone to cyberwar. They are constantly probing western systems and exploiting where they can.

On another front, the US has prepared our response! (I'm not sure the source)

Obama: We are Prepared to Consult Thesaurus
One day after North Korea launched a successful test of a nuclear weapon, President Obama said that the United States was prepared to respond to the threat with "the strongest possible adjectives."
In remarks to reporters at the White House, Mr. Obama said that North Korea should fear the "full force and might of the United States' arsenal of adjectives" and called the missile test "reckless, reprehensible, objectionable, senseless, egregious and condemnable."
Standing at the President's side, Vice President Joseph Biden weighed in with some tough adjectives of his own, branding North Korean President Kim Jong-Il "totally wack and illin'."
Later in the day, Defense Secretary Robert Gates called the North Korean nuclear test "supercilious and jejune," leading some in diplomatic circles to worry that the U.S. might be running out of appropriate adjectives with which to craft its response.
But President Obama attempted to calm those fears, saying that the United States was prepared to "scour the thesaurus" to come up with additional adjectives and was "prepared to use adverbs" if necessary.
"Let's be clear: we are not taking adverbs off the table," Mr. Obama said. "If the need arises, we will use them forcefully, aggressively, swiftly, overwhelmingly and commandingly."
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That is truly funny, Ranger K.Ingraham!!!!

I am sorry about the confusion on the cyber war definition. There are so many definitions and perspectives out there, it is crazy!! (although not nearly as many as the cyber psychological warfare, which I do love...) So, I should have been more explicit. To me, probing and penetration testing is just play... You know... boys and their toys. They try to find our sweet spots, we try to get to theirs... They own some of our stuff, we own some of theirs. They exploit us, but we also honeypot them and counter. I see warfare (defined) as when we put it all together for an all encompassing take down attempt.

Best;
DrD
~Black Raven~
Rangertab1
Tadpole

Post by Rangertab1 »

My point, exactly.
Mine to Jim. There is more than meets the eye and more flies inside the pie. :shock:
Outstanding! I get to lead my family through humanity's next mass die-off. -Me

Commissioned, Lamar University - 19 December 1992
Ranger School Class 10-93
S4 RSE PL, 2/75 93-94
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

Nomad wrote:*Other Option*

The nuclear capability is evident. They know nobody, including the US, is going to stop them. China will look the other way, they can all but decimate the South, Japan is a declawed Tiger and regional instability is just what they need. The PDRK is going through another economic disaster, by even their scale, and the "dear Leader" wants to continue the Family Dynasty. His health has been failing and swimming with the sharks around him, he knows it has to be his son who takes over to guarantee a modicum of safety to his acquired lifestyle.

He will go to war with anyone, especially the ROK, to remain in power. I view this as an incredibly dangerous unfolding of events.
You make a good point howerver...

If the PDRK goes to war their economy, which is in shambles and people, are starving literally would implode. There is another scenario that I’m thinking about.

Once upon a time on a thread regarding China and it’s unemployment, which would be steadily rising as the world’s economy is in crisis, would love to be in a war. (My opinion)

So by using the PDRK as a trigger and subsequently “supporting” it’s poor neighbour, would draw Korea, Japan and their ultimate target Taiwan into a war. End result they would take the oil field under Taiwan. The PDRK would take the brunt of the retaliation until China stepped in. Resulting in a huge war in the Far East.

Speculation at it’s best….
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton

Return to “The Mosh Pit”