What type of leader are you?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Silverback
Ranger

Re: What type of leader are you?

Post by Silverback »

Strykerguy56 wrote:I swear that wasn't by design either, it just worked out that way haha
Patton...seems to be a trend.

I myself would rather be compared to a contemporary leader. Maybe David Koresh or somebody equally dynamic.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

Silverback wrote: I myself would rather be compared to a contemporary leader. Maybe David Koresh or somebody equally dynamic.
Les Aspin?
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Silverback wrote:
Strykerguy56 wrote:I swear that wasn't by design either, it just worked out that way haha
Patton...seems to be a trend.

I myself would rather be compared to a contemporary leader. Maybe David Koresh or somebody equally dynamic.

Marshall Applewhite.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Slobodan Milosevic
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

John Galt.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
WF5
Ranger

Post by WF5 »

William Tecumseh Sherman
1BCT, 82nd 2006-2013
OIF 2007-2008, 2009-2010
OEF 2012
RS 10-06
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

PocketKings wrote:John Galt.
Who is John Galt? :wink:
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

rgrokelley wrote:
He is the mystery worker.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

I know some of you like to write of leaders like Sherman, just to push folk's buttons. This would be akin to someone 100 years from now talking about how great a leader Timothy McVeigh was, because of what he did at Oklahoma City, and all he inspired. However, Rangers, let’s take a historical look at Sherman’s leadership.

At Shiloh Grant and Sherman totally underestimated the ability of Albert Sydney Johnston. Johnston was able to cross miles of swamp land, and arrive behind Sherman’s camp, hitting it early in the morning with massive force. Though it was mainly Grant’s fuckup, Sherman was almost killed in the surprise because the guards he had up were only minimal, and he didn’t have any patrols out in that area. He thought the Confederates would be defensive and not attack. Some historians agree that the only thing that spared both Sherman and Grant was the death of Johnston.

Moving forwards to what made him famous, the march to the sea, Sherman decided to not go after Hood after he captured Atlanta. This was a good tactical decision. Sherman then decided to vanish from the battlefield, and took his whole army, marching from Atlanta to Savannah, destroying an area about 70 miles wide the entire way there. During this march he learned of all the Union prisoners at Andersonville. The Confederate garrison at Andersonville was unable to feed the thousands that had become prisoners and requested that Sherman send soldiers to get the prisoners. Sherman refused, therefore leaving a fallen comrade to fall into the hands of the enemy. Why did Sherman ignore the POWs? The city of Savannah was too inviting, and was loaded with goods and plunder. When Sherman did arrive at Savannah the city fathers were able to convince Sherman to not destroy the city in return for tribute and goods. The POWs in Andersonville continued to die, with no relief in site.

OK, so Sherman is pretty good at destruction when there is no organized force that can resist him. However once Sherman entered North Carolina the remnants of Hood’s army, under the command of Johnson, attacked Sherman at Averasboro and Bentonville (about 30 minutes outside of Fort Bragg). Though the Confederates were outnumbered 3 to 1, they stopped Sherman’s army for three days. There is a chance they would have made Sherman’s force retreat back to Fayetteville, if it wasn’t due to one of the worst commanders in the Civil War, Braxton Bragg, arriving and fucking up the Confederate attack (yes, Fort Bragg is named after that huge screwup).

Sherman after the war brought his style of warfare against the plains Indians, which today is looked down upon and is considered by some as atrocities.

So, Rangers, if your style of leadership means that you don’t do any reconnaissance, don’t post guards, do not rescue fallen comrades, annihilate civilian targets and fall back from a force that you outnumber with overwhelming odds, then more power to you.

Me, I think I’ll stick with leaders that have more sound Ranger principles.
RS - DHG 5-85
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

rgrokelley wrote:
You gotta read more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Galt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

George Washington

Biography:
George Washington was not only the first president but also an accomplished general. Against daunting odds, Washington launched a guerrilla war that lasted for six years and ultimately drove the British from the colonies. At many points during the conflict, the army was close to disintegrating. But through Washington's force of leadership, the colonists succeeded and he established a model for future American military leaders to follow.

Leadership Attributes:
General Washington was known for his cautious, measured, and highly successful generalship. Understanding that conventional war against the British was useless, he waged a well-planned guerilla campaign. He was also skilled in diplomacy, both as a politician and in his military career. He elicited French help in forcing the surrender of Cornwallis at Yorktown. Also, he deftly negotiated the relations between military and civilian authority. Personally, the first President was reserved. But he won the love and respects of his troops — and nation.
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

Silverback wrote:
rgrokelley wrote:
You gotta read more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Galt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You gotta read more. In the book the phrase "who is John Galt" keeps popping up as grafitti, like "Kilroy" in WWII
RS - DHG 5-85
Boudicca
Tadpole

Post by Boudicca »

William C. Westmoreland

Biography:
Born on March 26, 1914 into a wealthy family of textile manufacturers, William Westmoreland led a life of leadership. He graduated from West Point with many awards, including the Pershing Award for leadership. He commanded artillery units in North Africa and Sicily in World War II. During the Korean War, Westmoreland commanded an airborne brigade, and later he commanded the 101st Airborne Division. He later became the youngest major general and the second youngest superintendent (after MacArthur) of West Point. Westmoreland is best known for commanding the war effort in Vietnam.

Leadership Attributes:
General Westmoreland was generally a careful strategist. In Vietnam, he followed a conservative strategy, advocating a war of attrition against the Viet Cong. Westmoreland normally allowed no operations by units smaller than the battalion, and he insisted on strong artillery support. Westmoreland was more a warrior than diplomat. He found it difficult to tread the fine line of public ambivalence to the Vietnam War. Personally, Westmoreland was brave in battle. During World War II, he often scouted ahead of the guns; while doing so in Sicily, his jeep was hit but he escaped injury.
To be loved is to be fortunate, but to be hated is to achieve distinction.
<2> Ranger Mom
RIP 10-08 & RS 10-09
289sotherhalf
Supreme Goddess of Drive On/Moderator

Post by 289sotherhalf »

George S. Patton

Biography:
Born in San Gabriel, California, Patton was a descendant of an old Virginia family. He attended West Point, and he placed fifth in the military pentathlon in the 1912 Olympics. He fought well in World War I, leading a tank brigade, and he became an advocate of this new weapon. He became a household name in World War II. In October 1942, Patton directed the amphibious landings near Casablanca and the North African campaign. He also commanded the U.S. Seventh Army in the Allied invasion of Sicily.

Leadership Attributes:
Patton was an innovative commander from the start. He learned how to use the tank – a new weapon – from the French and British during World War I. He considered it the weapon of the future before others appreciated its potential. He liked to lead from the front, and he first distinguished himself on the battlefield by leading a tank brigade in WWI. He was more of a warrior than diplomat. In an infamous incident that almost cost him his career, he verbally abused two sick soldiers, even slapping one. After the German surrender, he argued for political taboos: a combined Allied-German campaign against the Soviet Union and using ex-Nazi intelligence personnel. Personally, he was known for racy language and flamboyance.
~Ranger Wife~

"Love your enemies...it pisses them off!"

"Be careful whose toes you step on today because they might be connected to the foot that kicks your ass tomorrow."

"Behind every damsel is a fire breathing dragon."

Return to “The Mosh Pit”