Intro

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Astinos
Embryo

Intro

Post by Astinos »

Hi,

My name is Phil, I am currently a ROTC Cadet at Cornell University but I have started the disenrollment process to follow through with something I wanted to do since I was a kid. Once I get my orders to see a recruiter I will be requesting a 11x Option 40 contract.

Back in 2004 I enlisted Army Reserves in their DEP in 11th Grade. I went to Ft. Knox to complete BASIC and did so. Unfortunatly I didn't finish high school on time so they discharged me. After that I got my GED and took a year off before I went onto college which I have been in since. After 2 1/2 years I have decided to go Active Duty and tryout for Ranger School so that one day when/if I become an Officer I can do so knowing that I have something more then just 4 years of college under my belt.

My ROTC instructor told me today that it should only be around 30 days until I will ship out, he said its a pretty hasty process and I should have no problem getting the option 40 contract. Either way I'm crossing my fingers and PT'ing like crazy.

Sorry if I missed anything.
"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"
-Edmund Burke
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Re: Intro

Post by Disinfertention »

Welcome to the site.

Why do you not want to finish college? If you don't finish it now you'll have to finish it while on duty before you can attend the Officer Candidate School. I mention this because you said you would like to be an Officer someday.

If you just want to try out Ranger School stay in ROTC. Once you commission you should be able to find yourself an oppertunity to attend Ranger school.

Judging by your post I think your priorities may be a bit off. Joining the 75th is not just about getting to Ranger school to help advance your career as an officer. You should want to serve in the 75th for better reasons than that.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

By complete college I mean you need to have a BA.

Opportunity*
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Astinos
Embryo

Post by Astinos »

Ranger Disinfertention,

I totally agree that being in the 75th means way more than furthering my officer career. I haven't decided yet if I want to be an officer in the future but I'm choosing not to finish school now because of circumstances that aren't in my control. I had been thinking about going Active Duty rather than finish ROTC for a little while but at the start of this semester I got extremely sick and missed the majority of the first 6 weeks. At that point it was beyond catching up so it pretty much decided for me. But I am not upset about the situation in the least, in fact it has gotten me pumped and I can't wait to leave. I think that this situation is the best for me in my career.

I've wanted to be a Ranger since 10th grade of high school. Now I'm just hoping to get my chance. My highest respect goes out to everyone in the 75th. I won't stop for anything, not until I graduate and become a Ranger.
-Edmund Burke
Astinos
Embryo

Post by Astinos »

Ranger Zonk 1/75,

I can see what you're saying, school was never a strong suite for me. Struggled in school my entire time in.
The main reason I started college was a favor to my parents at the time, looking back I realize I should have taken my own path.

Going through BASIC in 04 was the best experience in my life thus far. When I was there it really showed me it was what I wanted to do with myself. Whatever comes my way during OSUT/Airborne/RIP/Ranger School, I will keep my head up and storm through.
-Edmund Burke
Astinos
Embryo

Post by Astinos »

Rangers,

Met with my ROTC instructor last Friday, signed the last of my papers, he told me I will be getting orders to see a recruiter within the next couple weeks. I already started talking to one and we are getting all the paperwork that I need done so that there will be less time dealing with the small stuff.

I am PTing everyday, running a minimum of 2 miles a day and hitting the weights as well.

Can't wait to receive my orders.
-Edmund Burke
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Keep us informed of progress with your recruiter.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Phil, you failed to indicate what MOS you will train for. Please explain a little more about yourself and where you are going. If you want to earn a place inthe 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Astinos
Embryo

Post by Astinos »

Ranger Bill - Will do.

Ranger Jim - I'm going for 11x Option 40 for sure.

Will keep an update on what happens next.
-Edmund Burke
Astinos
Embryo

Post by Astinos »

P.S.

I just bought a copy of the July 2006 Rangers Handbook. I will be reading/studying this as much as possible.
-Edmund Burke
Astinos
Embryo

Post by Astinos »

Received my Ranger Handbook, I bought 2 copies so when I go through I might hook someone else with a Option 40 contract that doesn't have one so they can get a head start as well.

Haven't received my orders yet to see a recruiter but I am hoping they come very soon.

I also just finished reading "This Mans Army" by CPT Andrew Exum. I thought it was a great read and a good motivator for me. Now I am starting "No Excuse Leadership: Lessons from the U.S. Army's Elite Rangers" by Brace E. Barber.
-Edmund Burke
Astinos
Embryo

Post by Astinos »

I also purchased this yesterday hoping that it will give a boost to my workout:

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3107651" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any thoughts?
-Edmund Burke
Astinos
Embryo

Post by Astinos »

Rangers,

Ran my first 5 mile today, been working up to it, ran it at the gym on the treadmill.

My time was 39:46, just under the 40 minutes, need to work on that.

Have to be honest, I haven't worked on push-ups/sit-ups much, mostly have been running and lifting. Need to start working on the rest, but I definitely notice a difference strength wise. I go to the gym 6 days a week, do at least 2 miles and up to 4 miles all six days, then alternate days for upper and lower body exercises/lifting.

Still waiting on my orders to go get a Active contract. I really just want to start my training.

Recruiter told me I will probably have to go to the Warriors Transition Course and then AIT because I already did BASIC back in 2004.
-Edmund Burke

Return to “Introduction Archive”