Visa Denial Puts Heroic Iraqi Translator in the Crosshairs

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
Nomad
Ranger

Re: Visa Denial Puts Heroic Iraqi Translator in the Crosshairs

Post by Nomad »

Redrose100 wrote:An Iraqi translator who has earned commendations for risking his life repeatedly to save the lives of many American soldiers in combat has been denied a visa to live in the United States because of nonviolent actions he took to overthrow Saddam Hussein — at the same time the U.S. government was calling for regime change in Iraq.... But the State Department has denied Jasim a visa because he was arrested in 1996 for actions against the Saddam dictatorship.
Unreal. I am not surprised that it's becoming a tougher sell for us to the locals of oppressed regimes that "..we'll help you if you help us out!".
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Visa Denial Puts Heroic Iraqi Translator in the Crosshairs

Post by Jim »

JLTW!!! wrote:The old "help them while it benefits us, and then shit on them" routine? Unfortunately, (at least according to BTDTs I've talked to and books I've read) it's happened quite a bit when dealing with us.
Based on my experiences, I'm not sure I'd trust us.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “The News Dump”