Process for a Chaplain

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
hodge
Embryo

Process for a Chaplain

Post by hodge »

Rangers,
I am currently in the process of re-enlistment with the Army as a Chaplain. My desire is to serve as Ranger Chaplain. I have read through the threads and did some searches for articles concerning Chaplains. The information that I have gathered thus far, is that I should submit a DA 4187 request and contact the 4th RTB Chaplain for career counseling. I was wondering if there was any other information that you may have to help in the process. I would like to go to CH-BOLC, then Airborne and then RIP. If anyone knows the route I need to take or can direct me in that direction it would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Hodge
alpha24
Ranger

Re: Process for a Chaplain

Post by alpha24 »

I'm cannot give you a great answer. I did ask our chaplain once about how one gets into the Regiment and he said it is a little political. My recommendation would be to contact the Regimental chaplain (75th Ranger Regiment) or the 4th RTB chaplain (Ranger School) and speak with them directly.

Good Luck
Aco 2/75 96-99
RIP Instructor, HHC 75th 99-01
Aco 2/75 01-03
Class 7-97

One for the airborne Ranger in the sky!
hodge
Embryo

Post by hodge »

Ranger,
Thank you for your advice. I was able to get in contact with the Chaplain at the 75th Ranger Regiment. I actually know this Chaplain, as we are in the same denomination. He gave me some great information and encouragement, as I seek to become a Chaplain and eventually a Ranger Chaplain. Thanks again.

Hodge
Last edited by hodge on March 20th, 2009, 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

hodge wrote:Ranger,
Thank you for your advice. I was able to get in contact with the Chaplain at the 75th Ranger Regiment. I actually know this Chaplain, as we are in the same denomination. He gave me some get information and encouragement, as I seek to become a Chaplain and eventually a Ranger Chaplain. Thanks again.

Hodge
Sounds like you are all set. Now go for it and NEVER QUIT!
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
alpha24
Ranger

Post by alpha24 »

Good luck and Godspeed. You are appreciated for all you do.
Aco 2/75 96-99
RIP Instructor, HHC 75th 99-01
Aco 2/75 01-03
Class 7-97

One for the airborne Ranger in the sky!
hodge
Embryo

Post by hodge »

Roger that Ranger Ron and thank you Ranger Alpha24
Capellanus
Ranger

Post by Capellanus »

Hey brother welcome to our neighborhood and welcome to the journey of becoming an Army Chaplain.

A few thoughts as you proceed.

Becoming a Ranger and becoming a chaplain are two different things and two different set of challenges.

To become a chaplain you will have to be ordained by a recognized Religious body of faith, graduate from seminary with a M-DIV or equivalent, get practical pastoral experience post seminary (unless it is wavered by your Endorsing agent), and graduate CHBLOC.

Becoming a Ranger requires you to go to Ranger School and get your tab. The implied task is to get there. If you complete these two task then you become a Chaplain with a Ranger tab but not a Ranger Chaplain. That title is only reserved for those who get assigned to the Ranger Regt.

In order to get that privileged you must be allowed to attend ROP (not RIP) and graduate.

Not to discourage you, but you will not be asked to attend ROP or be assigned to the Ranger Regiment coming right out of CHBLOC. There has only been a small few who have been offered a Ranger slot as a first assignment. Most have either served in the Ranger Regiment as an enlisted Soldier or have received a high ranking endorsement from someone in the community. Another thing that is needed to become a Ranger Chaplain these days is a combat tour. No combat patch/scroll no entry.

You can make you wish known but the Chaplain Corps will first assigned you to the needs of the Army and then after serving as a BN chaplain somewhere you can again request to be assigned to the Regiment but again, needs of the Army will trump it.

The Army needs qualified chaplains to serve in the Regiment and if you succeed with becoming a Army chaplain and graduating Ranger School, you can be competitive for a BN slot, however, timing becomes key because most chaplains who get a slot will stay in it until they either get promoted to MAJ or get ask to move on. Therefore, your second assignment request needs to be during a time when one of the Ranger BN chaplains is preparing to move on to his next assignment. So serving as a Ranger Chaplain becomes a "God" thing and a little luck and favor from some senior chaplains and/or former Ranger commanders/CSMs (Networking).

Hope this is helpful. I am interested in your motive for becoming a Ranger chaplain. Why? Are you seeking Hooah stuff or are you seeking to serve? Are you called into this ministry or looking for an alternative job other than pastor?

I am not asking these questions to sound condescending but it is important that you first seek God's will and search your true motives for becoming an Army Chaplain and if chosen a Ranger Chaplain.

Soldiers need chaplains who can connect and identify with them. Chaplains who are willing to go wherever they are. Chaplains who will care for their needs as well as their souls. Chaplains who will not judge them or look down to them despite their religious preference or none at all.

You motives and motivation is extremely important because if they are not right you will quit somewhere along the way.

I wish you the best as you pursuit the most challenging yet rewarding calling in the ministry.
RGR Capellanus
6th RTB (Jun 12-present)
2/75 Rgr. Bn. ( July 10-Jun 11)
1-32 IN, 3BCT, 10th MTN, DIV (07-10)
B Co. 1/75 Rgr. Bn. (92-97)
RGR Class 8-94
OEF (Aug 11-Dec 11)
OEF (Oct 10-Jan 11)
OEF IX/X (Jan 09-Jan 10)
"As Iron sharpens Iron, so one man sharpens another" (Proverbs 27:7)
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

There you go Hodge. I would say that Ranger Capellanus has given you the word. Seem like you are pretty fortunate to now know exactly what you are going to have to do. Now go make it happen if that is what you want and NEVER QUIT!
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
hodge
Embryo

Post by hodge »

Ranger Capellanus,
Thank you for your response and insight as I prepare to hopefully serve as an Army Chaplain. I also want to thank you for your advice and wisdom in knowing how to precede with becoming a Chaplain who will hopefully serve the Rangers.

You mentioned "To become a chaplain you will have to be ordained by a recognized Religious body of faith, graduate from seminary with a M-DIV or equivalent, get practical pastoral experience post seminary (unless it is wavered by your Endorsing agent), and graduate CHBLOC." I wanted to let you know of my status. I just finished my MDIV and will graduate in May. I am ordained and have been endorsed by my denomination. I have been serving for the last 5 yrs as an Assistant Pastor so the the two years of pastoral experience is being waived. I am waiting to go to MEPS and finish the process by the end of June and hopefully reporting to CHBLOC in September.

You also stated, "I am interested in your motive for becoming a Ranger chaplain. Why? Are you seeking Hooah stuff or are you seeking to serve? Are you called into this ministry or looking for an alternative job other than pastor?" These are all good questions and I am glad you asked. I felt called to be Chaplain when I was in high school after watching a video made by my denomination on the ministry of the Army Chaplains. I signed up in the Army to be a Chaplain Assistant but when I went to MEPS, they said they did not have a slot, so I opted for 11B. God reaffirmed this call in my life whilel serving as a Youth Pastor and I began the process of becoming a Chaplain. I definitely feel called to this ministry and this has been affirmed by my wife. The process as been long (will not get into that) but God has been faithful.
Why a Chaplain and why a Ranger Chaplain? Like I stated I feel called plus I have a passion and burden for our men and women of the Army. I want to serve them, lead and guide them through the struggles they face throughout their career in the Army. I understand I need to be ecumenical as I serve all members of the service not just those in my faith and I look forward to that. Why the Rangers? Not to many people do what they do, they are a close family and go through trials and tribulation like no other men do in the service. I want to be the guy you throws on a ruck and goes out on patrol with them, I want to be by their side when they jump out of that plane, and I want to be right their by their side when their in the suck. To let them know, to stay the course, to be strong and finish the task. I want to be the first one to welcome them back from a mission on a battle front. Through all of this maybe they will see Christ in and through me. They will know no matter what, I have their back, I am there for them, lifting them up and helping them to move forward. I just want to serve. I know the process and receiving the Tab will be difficult but I am willing to go through it. As you stated to actually serve will be a God thing, I understand this as well and wherever I am assigned will serve those men and women with the same passion I would the Rangers.

Thank you again Ranger Capellanus.
RangerRon you are correct in saying that I am fortunate to have Ranger Capellanus to offer such great information. So as a thank you I am knocking off 50 push ups as a thank you.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Throughout the history of the US Army, religious leaders have helped lead the Army. My personal favorite is Peter Muhlenberg (contrary to what wikipedia says, he was Lutheran, not Anglican).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Muhlenberg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Capellanus
Ranger

Post by Capellanus »

Hodge, good answers.

You didn't mentioned if you received a Ranger School slot yet. How do you plan on getting to Ranger School? :roll:

Some advice. Don't wait till you graduate CHBLOC. The Chaplain Corps will be anxious to put you in a BN slot. One that may be getting ready to deploy or somewhere in the process. Most commanders will not send their chaplain to Ranger School because they can't spare them and have other warriors to send. So get the slot before you get your assignment. Tell branch you will not join the Army unless you get a Ranger slot en route to your assignment. It will be difficult but doable if you talk to the right players.

If not, you will have to wait until you begin serving a BN and get favor with the CSM and CDR. They will have to spend their money to send you and this will mean you taking a slot of a 11B. This is assuming you get assigned to an Infantry or CAV BN. Support BNs will probably not send you. But who knows.

Your best bet is to get to RS before you go to your first duty assignment. This may mean holding off on CHBLOC and getting there before you go to CHBLOC.

Being a Chaplain has some great rewards but many challenges. Stay the Course, and don't quit.
RGR Capellanus
6th RTB (Jun 12-present)
RGR Class 8-94
OEF (Aug 11-Dec 11)
OEF (Oct 10-Jan 11)
OEF IX/X (Jan 09-Jan 10)
hodge
Embryo

Post by hodge »

Ranger Capellanus,

I have not gotten a Ranger slot. I was not not sure on how to go about requesting one, and was hoping to find the answers on here. So, I appreciate your information and advice. From what you stated I should first request a Ranger slot before signing, and preferably try to get into Ranger School before even going to CHBOLC. I was not sure if you could do this, I should also request then going to Airborne and hopefully follow that with Ranger School and then CHBOLC. If this is correct please let me know or if you think there is a better route but I think this is what you were saying in your post. Thanks again for your help and advice.

Hodge
Capellanus
Ranger

Post by Capellanus »

Hodge,

Your task is difficult because Airborne School and Ranger School cost money and are usually reserved for incentives for recruitment or retention when not assigned to an Airborne unit. Someone will have to pay for it; Reserve, AD ect.
Getting an Airborne slot should not be that difficult. Your recruiter or accessioning officer should be able to swing it. Be persistent and don’t take NO for an answer.

Getting a Ranger School slot is more of a challenge. Most units require their potential students to go through a Pre-Ranger course prior to them sending Soldiers to the School. It is possible to go directly from Airborne School to Ranger School. Pray for God’s favor and ask the powers to be to make this happen. The Chaplain Corps can always use qualified (Ranger) chaplains within its ranks.

If you wash out of either of the schools then you will still be able to go to CHBLOC.

So, it is possible but you will need the favor of God and man to get the slots (Luke 2:52).
RGR Capellanus
6th RTB (Jun 12-present)
RGR Class 8-94
OEF (Aug 11-Dec 11)
OEF (Oct 10-Jan 11)
OEF IX/X (Jan 09-Jan 10)
hodge
Embryo

Post by hodge »

Ranger Capellanus,

Thank you for your response and words of advice. I appreciate you taking time to answer my questions and direct me as I follow this path. I will keep you updated on my progress. Thanks again

Hodge

Return to “Recruitment Process”