Newest Member of the family

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
McD
Ranger

Newest Member of the family

Post by McD »

I've been looking at 1911's for some time now and thought I had it narrowed down to a Spingfield, S&W or a Kimber. Well, I went to a shop last weekend and ended up buying an STI Spartan. I know it would not be everybodies first choice but I was really impressed with how tight and well built it is. I've read many a good review on this weapon and for the price... well once I handled it it was sold. $595 + Tax. Of course I'm having him do a little work before I pick it up. New front sight and an extended Mag release. I'll post a pic when I have it in hand and give a range report.

Now I need some magazines. Leaning towards Tripp or Wilsons. It comes with an 8rd Novak (which are good so I hear) Anyone have any opinions?

And I need a good holster. I'm thinking I will go with leather. Maybe a Galco or Milt Sparks. What are you guys using?

The best news is that the price difference between the Spartan and the other 1911's leaves me enough to consider another toy. Maybe a 9mm this time. Here we go again!
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
The Surgeon
Ranger

Re: Newest Member of the family

Post by The Surgeon »

:|
Last edited by The Surgeon on August 5th, 2011, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bco 3/75
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

I always thought those things were twice the price you paid for it. Great deal. Post pictures!

As for the mags, get the Wilson ones. I've yet to have a problem with mine, which I use with my Kimber.
abn-rgr
Ranger

Post by abn-rgr »

Wilsons have worked well in my Kimbers, but I would recommend Tripps. A lot of the guys that shoot single stack in USPSA use Tripps.
RS 04-94
"Hard and Cold for the Black and Gold"
Ne Desit Virtus

Return to “Weapons of War”