Movie Reviews

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Re: Movie Reviews

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Punisher: War Zone

If you want to see bad-guys getting brutally and savagely killed, this is your flick. I thought it was going to be dumb, but it was decent; with nothing way-too-fake, and I use the term loosely. As with all these comic movies of late, I can't compare their accuracy with the comics.

Last note, I detected an ever so slight undertone of anti-fire arm propaganda; but, I could be wrong. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else thinks the same. It's almost as if you cannot watch a movie without catching a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of your eye of some sneaky propaganda weaseled in.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
abn-rgr
Ranger

Post by abn-rgr »

ANGRYCivilian wrote:Punisher: War Zone

If you want to see bad-guys getting brutally and savagely killed, this is your flick. I thought it was going to be dumb, but it was decent; with nothing way-too-fake, and I use the term loosely. As with all these comic movies of late, I can't compare their accuracy with the comics.

Last note, I detected an ever so slight undertone of anti-fire arm propaganda; but, I could be wrong. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else thinks the same. It's almost as if you cannot watch a movie without catching a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of your eye of some sneaky propaganda weaseled in.
Same thing with the movie "shooter". They took a great Stephen Hunter book and jacked it all up. Several anti-gun themes going on in this movie.
RS 04-94
"Hard and Cold for the Black and Gold"
Ne Desit Virtus
Jenny Lynn
Tadpole

Post by Jenny Lynn »

Ranger Andy wrote:After learning about Mumbai (FOGs knew the city as Bomb Bay), I watched Charlie Wilson's War; Congress could fuck-up a wet dream...
Ranger Andy, Thanks I kept wondering why I had not heard of the City of Mumbai before now, then it hit me when I saw your reference in this post, I didn't know the City of Bombay's name was change to Mumbai. Dang I'm getting old or maybe it's because I don't watch TV anymore. Jenny
Jenny
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.” Galileo Galilei

"If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right” Marcus Tullius Cicero

"By special Pastoral appointment."
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

JLTW!!! wrote:B57, you didn't think those penguins were funny!? Sonofabitches had me laughing from the opening credits.

Bolt was pretty good also....the hamster alone is reason enough to see the movie!

"Let it beginnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Yes, Yes I did think the Penguins were funny as hell!!

BOLT was AWESOME!!!! There was some dust flying around at the end of the movie, and some of it got into my eye, but other than that, it was a great movie.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

JLTW!!! wrote:Bolt was pretty good also....the hamster alone is reason enough to see the movie!
"Let it beginnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
I've been thinking about going to see this simply for the hamster; he looks pretty funny.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
Ranger Andy
Ranger

Movie Reviews

Post by Ranger Andy »

Because it snowed here in Houston (first good snow since 1989), we watched the Day After Tomorrow...
Ranger Class 6-73 & 7-73
C Company, 75th Infantry (Ranger)
The Ranger Department (City Team)

I Hope They Serve Cold Beer in Hell...
CatFish Driver
Ranger

Post by CatFish Driver »

I know it was referenced earlier in the thread, but Tropic Thunder was hilarious. I watched it the other night and was howling.

"Were you dreamin' of danglin' your dice on Lance's forehead?"
Ranger School Class 08-02

"Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice, moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
--Senator Barry Goldwater
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

I rented and watched WANTED the other day. I might have liked it when I was 14 or 15 years old, but not now. They showed a close up of Angelina Jolie in one scene and I had to pause it to make sure of what I was seeing. They must have forgot to "enhance" the image, because she was looking kind of old and haggish. Another one of those photogenic celebrities whom if you saw in the grocery store you probably wouldn't give more than a second glance.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Flesh Thorn wrote:I rented and watched WANTED the other day. I might have liked it when I was 14 or 15 years old, but not now. They showed a close up of Angelina Jolie in one scene and I had to pause it to make sure of what I was seeing. They must have forgot to "enhance" the image, because she was looking kind of old and haggish. Another one of those photogenic celebrities whom if you saw in the grocery store you probably wouldn't give more than a second screw.
There, I fixed it for you. She is old and haggish, but her ass looks pretty damn good in the movie. She's no Sally Fields, though. :D
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

I watched three pirated movies last night, so here are the reviews in order that I saw them.

The Day the Earth Stood Still

I had just started drinking at the party and only had about three beers in me, but it still sucked ass. Though it follows the original pretty good, it is pretty much lackluster in the acting category. I will say this, Keanu Reeves has his best role ever. It is similiar to Schwarzenegger in The Terminator. All Reeves had to do was look deadpan at the camera and mouth the words, since he is an alien and all. Since that is the extent of his acting, it worked great for him.

In the original movie (a classic, that shouldn't have been remade), the whole story line dealt with mankind about to obliterate each other in a nuclear holocaust. Klatu was there to make them save each other from total destruction, by use of force (which is ironic, since the only thing that saved us from total nuclear annihliation was the threat of using that force).

In the new movie the evil humans are killing the planet, so they much go.

They also left out one of the most famous science fiction movie lines:

Gort Klatu barada nikto

http://www.zazzle.com/gort_klaatu_barad ... 1103785396

So, it sucked. Wait for it to come on Netflix if you really, really want to see it.

Next...
Last edited by rgrokelley on December 14th, 2008, 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

Quantum of Solace

OK, now I'm crusing on my 7th or 8th beer, but who knows.
This movie, though there is a lot of car chases and shoot 'em ups, was confusing. Yeah, yeah, there is beer involved, but the folks around me who weren't drinking were having a hard time trying to follow it all. Too much shit going on. I don't think it was good as the first one, but it was OK. Maybe if I sober up and watch it again I might be able to figure it out.

and finally...
RS - DHG 5-85
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

Gran Torino

OK, end of the night, and its past midnight. I slowed on the beers, and just kept up a maintenance buzz.

For a good portion of the movie we were all laughing our ass off. Clint's character could be one of us in the Mojo. He is a Korean War vet having to deal with the recent death of his wife, his own greedy children waiting for him to die so they can get his stuff, foreign neighbors (Chinese Hmong), gangbangers who think they are the baddest thing on the block, and a priest who looks to be barely out of puberty.

I'm not going to say anything about what happens, but the end is not what you think, and there were some women in our crowd who had tears.

I personally think Clint is doing what John Wayne did in The Shooter. I think he is wrapping up all his characters before he dies. The Unforgiven was what happened to Josey Wales (and the man with no name) at the end of his life. Gran Torino is pretty much what happened to Gunny Sergeant Highway (Heartbreak Ridge) at the end of his life. I am willing to predict he will do one final one on his other famous character, Dirty Harry.

Excellent movie, definately made for us.
RS - DHG 5-85
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Post by SkyShark »

I saw two movies yesterday.

Four Christmases. Vince Vaughn, Reese Witherspoon, Tim McGraw, Dwight Yokum. The movie was pretty funny overall.

Step Brothers. Christ I have not laughed that hard in a long time. I could have done with out seeing Will Ferrell's testicles though. :lol:
Not a movie for kids. Christ they cussed in that movie more than me. :shock:
It's all good.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”