Land Nav in PRC and RS?

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
Eyez79
Embryo

Land Nav in PRC and RS?

Post by Eyez79 »

I havent done any Land Nav since AIT, only been 8mths but still just the same....What refreshers should I be concentrating on while I am still waiting to go to school?

I dont want to look like a complete jackass my first week of either school, PRC or RS, b/c of Land Nav...any help would be appreciated.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

It is a self correcting course. That being said the majority of the points are close to roads. I'm not really sure what you can do for practice besides getting out there and doing it though. If you go to a PRC I'm sure they will have practice Land Nav before they test you. If that isn't enough for you get with your CoC and see if you can get some time on a Land Nav course. If that doesn't work out for you and really want to do some land nav the class I have right now will doing some in about 3 to 4 weeks. I am assuming you are with 3/3 here on Benning. If not, I guess you are SOL.

Shoot me a PM if your CoC fails to support you.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Eyez79
Embryo

Post by Eyez79 »

That put my mind at ease....was told during AIT that once I got to my unit I would learn "high-speed" land nav, they just taught us the basics. Were I havent done ANY land nav since I was getting a bit worried. I am particpating in "Ranger PT" given by my CO and another 1LT who are tabbed, we have land nav on the schedule but was trying to get an idea of what PRC and RS was like. I greatly appreciate the info.

Oh, nope...I am down at Stewart with 3-69.
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

We run land nav 3 fucking times and idiots still go to Ranger School and fail that course which is self correcting.
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

I would say if you were to practice anything, make it terrain association. Benning is flat as a motherfucker. On second though, scratch that. If you want to get good at it, put boots on the ground and practice the whole thing. period. Land Nav is one of those things that you get better at the more you do. Even if you are a whiz at terrain association, it doesn't mean shit if you can't keep an accurate pace count or stay on an azimuth.

You have two things going for you right now;

First- The people that make land nav courses are just like everyone else, and that is being inherently lazy. They (generally) don't feel like busting a lot of brush when they are setting up a course. To that end, most points will be within short distance of a road or trail to make it easier for them to do course maintainance.

Second- The land nav courses at Benning get a lot of traffic, and I do mean a lot. Even when they try and switch up the points, most of them have well defined paths leading right to them the closer you get.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

MSG_T wrote:EZ...as far as Land Nav, Ft Stew has a good land Nav course. Get a compass and get off your can. Tell your NCO's to train your ass up. This falls under the basic soldier training of TTP's. Were so advanced now and with the BIG BFT, people forget the original device, BFF, Big Fat Finger, it never fails if you can follow the needle and track your pace count.
Im NO Ranger, but Geez Louise, Land Nav isnt rocket science!! Go to Panama and try and navigate over and under and thru triple canopies!! Even the best get fubar'd once and a blue moon. Just know if you hit a road.....hehehehe...you might want to stop and regroup.
Best of luck
This is going to bite you right in the ass. You really might want to slow down and read for a bit Master Sergeant.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

MSG_T wrote:Roger.. I know when to STFU
pm inbound
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”