Upper body routine

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
PocketKings
Ranger

Upper body routine

Post by PocketKings »

Looking for a routine, so input is most welcome. I do a bunch of cardio for triathlons and such, but little upper body. I'm looking to incorporate light upper body into my routine 2-3x per week, with 45-60 minutes to dedicate for each session. Ultimate goal is to help my running/biking/swimming, not looking to get jacked. I would like some power help for sprint scenarios.

At my disposability;

A full set of dumbells from 20 up to 45lbs.
Pull up/dip bars
Exercise ball
those 'perfect push-up' things

What's the smartest way to break the groups down, and what are some good high intensity things I can do with what I have at hand? Is the old 'back and bi's/chest and tri's thing dead, or what?

Also, any good workouts would be great so I can build some variance into my plan.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Re: Upper body routine

Post by Ranger Bill »

[All the various exercise protocols work and there are as many expert opinions on this subject as there are on politics. But the truth is they all work. The trick is to find one that works for you and that you enjoy doing and stick with.

For beginning, and for just upper body, my suggestion is to peform 10 to 12 different exercises, a single set of each in the 10 to 13 rep range. Start with a weight you can perform 10 reps with almost perfect form. In the begnning you shuold be able to do at least one more rep of each exercise every time you work out or at least every week, most of the time. So when you can get 13 good reps, up the weight, and again when you cn can 13 reps, up the weight. In this regimen, you would do the same exerses every work out. This type of work out should be good for about three months of steady progress.

For the upper body, and with the equipment you have, you should concentrate on compound movements like pull-ups, chin-ups, dips, dumb bell bench press, bent over rows, overhead dumbell press. For isolation exercises you need some type of dumb bell curl, tricep extensions, side lateral raises, chest flys, bent over shoulder raises, and some wrist curls.

You should be able to complete this in less than 45 minutes. Anyway, that's my free advice for a begnning upper body program with the stuff you have. There are pretty good instructions on how to perform all thsese exercises on exerx.net.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

Single sets, high reps, many different exercises? Sort of a round robin type thing?

Is 3 sets of 7-8 reps outdated, or more for the big dudes?

Thanks for the link and advice. I never would have considered that type of routine.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
RangerJurena
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Upper body routine

Post by RangerJurena »

PocketKings wrote:Looking for a routine, so input is most welcome. I do a bunch of cardio for triathlons and such, but little upper body. I'm looking to incorporate light upper body into my routine 2-3x per week, with 45-60 minutes to dedicate for each session. Ultimate goal is to help my running/biking/swimming, not looking to get jacked. I would like some power help for sprint scenarios.

At my disposability;

A full set of dumbells from 20 up to 45lbs.
Pull up/dip bars
Exercise ball
those 'perfect push-up' things

What's the smartest way to break the groups down, and what are some good high intensity things I can do with what I have at hand? Is the old 'back and bi's/chest and tri's thing dead, or what?

Also, any good workouts would be great so I can build some variance into my plan.
As the proud owner of the infomercial routine P90x. I will figure out a way to get the disc's burned and send them to you. www.p90x.com you can click on some of the routines and hear the cat talk about them.

The upper body stuff only requires those items you've listed. The only other low cost items I would recommend are some exercise bands in various weights. Cheap at any exercise store.

This routine worked great for me..sadly, after 90 days, I went back to beer and TV
C.Co 1/75 '87-'93
6-89
http://www.75thrra.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - are you a member?

Return to “About Army Physical Training”