SF in battle, story not told till now.

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
CatFish Driver
Ranger

SF in battle, story not told till now.

Post by CatFish Driver »

LINK

CPT Eric Jacobson is a friend of both PocketKings and I. He is a fucking stud and doesn't bullshit anything or anyone.

With all the embedded reporters, I can't believe that this didn't make it to print until now.

Fine job gents.
Ranger School Class 08-02

"Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice, moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
--Senator Barry Goldwater
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

The Shiite militiamen were going after Muqtada al Sadr... Maybe we could have just kept an eye on them for a while and THEN taken them out.
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

I tip my Beret to all who were involved and am raising a shot tonight to honor those who were lost.
Awesome story. Thanks for sharing.
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

As I have said before. How can there not be more MOH awards for actions during the GWOT?

Civil War 1,522
Indian Wars 426
Korean Expedition 15
Spanish-American War 110
Samoan Civil War 4
Philippine-American War 86
Boxer Rebellion 59
Mexican Expedition 56
Haiti (1915–1934) 8 Dominican Republic Occupation 3
World War I 124
Occupation of Nicaragua 2
World War II 464
Korean War 133
Vietnam War 246
Battle of Mogadishu 2
Operation Iraqi Freedom 4 Operation Enduring Freedom 1
Unknowns 9
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
IDon'tCare
Ranger

Post by IDon'tCare »

Great post CatFish Driver. Thanks.
A co 2/75 80-84
Ranger class 12-82
SERE Instructor class 1-83

Mentor to Prodigy922 / KW12 / whiskeytango
garyedolan
Ranger Hall of Fame

Post by garyedolan »

Fascinating read--amazing how the terrain, the weather and the technology might change, but the emotions & experiences are exactly always the same...
Gary "28"
Co C (RGR), 75 Inf (ABN) '70-'71
USMA 69; RGR 4-70; RHOF-2011
http://oftheirownaccord.com

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be." Douglas MacArthur
CatFish Driver
Ranger

Post by CatFish Driver »

RRDTm3 wrote:As I have said before. How can there not be more MOH awards for actions during the GWOT?

Civil War 1,522
Indian Wars 426
Korean Expedition 15
Spanish-American War 110
Samoan Civil War 4
Philippine-American War 86
Boxer Rebellion 59
Mexican Expedition 56
Haiti (1915–1934) 8 Dominican Republic Occupation 3
World War I 124
Occupation of Nicaragua 2
World War II 464
Korean War 133
Vietnam War 246
Battle of Mogadishu 2
Operation Iraqi Freedom 4 Operation Enduring Freedom 1
Unknowns 9
Good point.

"Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice, moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

That was amazing. The battle sounds like something out of a movie.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

Just a tidbit but in the Civil War days you could get a MOH just for grabbing the other guys flag.
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

Jake is a stud and a very smart dude. He came to 2-502 as a prior service 18 series, so naturally he jumped to the top of the heap.

I hadn't heard about this CatFish, thanks for posting.

Oh, and no baby yet. We are now 3 days past due date. I need to school my wife on proper time management.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

Horned Toad wrote:Just a tidbit but in the Civil War days you could get a MOH just for grabbing the other guys flag.

Good point Negative Nancy
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

RRDTm3 wrote:
Horned Toad wrote:Just a tidbit but in the Civil War days you could get a MOH just for grabbing the other guys flag.

Good point Negative Nancy
and just how easy was it to grab a battle standard?

I got assigned a paper in college english on the MOH. yes, during the Civil War, the MOH was the only valorous award. that and a letter (can't remember the term, but a Certificate of Valor essentially) to pick from.

During the Civil War, approx 40% were awarded posthumously. mostly for securing a battle standard. eight-ish double awards given. Col. Custer's younger brother got two.

in Vietnam, 80%.

since Vietnam, 100%.

and another piece of trivia, a female nurse was awarded one in the 1890s-1910 for actions during the Civil War.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
CatFish Driver
Ranger

Post by CatFish Driver »

PocketKings wrote:Jake is a stud and a very smart dude. He came to 2-502 as a prior service 18 series, so naturally he jumped to the top of the heap.

I hadn't heard about this CatFish, thanks for posting.

Oh, and no baby yet. We are now 3 days past due date. I need to school my wife on proper time management.
You ain't shittin bro. She realizes that every day the baby is in there it gets bigger and thus harder to pass the basketball thru the hole the size of a quarter. Oh, and you wouldn't have liked the Preds game much anyway, lots of rowdy behavior and beer drinking going on.

Return to “The News Dump”