31S in the 75th?

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Roasting
Soldier

31S in the 75th?

Post by Roasting »

At MEPS last week I was determined to get Airborne in my contract before signing. That went through OK but the $3k bonus that goes along with that option did not show up in the computer. The Career Counselor said it would only be if I had a guaranteed first duty in a Ranger BN. Besides the fact I had no idea non-11x could be in the 75th, he had already made 3 different phone calls to get me a 31S (with $5k bonus), 30+ college credits ($3k bonus), and Airborne, so I decided not to push it.

Before all of this I had really wanted to get Ft. Bragg as my first station, so before I even start thinking about having the scroll on my sleeve I gotta know - are there 31S SatComm guys in the Regiment? How would I go about getting that in my contract? Is the Opt 40 just for combat guys? Once I made it through RIP then would I be at the HQ or actually deployed?

SFC hit_it, in this MILPER: http://perscomnd04.army.mil/MILPERmsgs. ... enDocument it says nothing about Ranger option for non-11x MOS. Was the Counselor BS'ing me? Should I get my recruiter to push for the $3k? Thanks!
penetra le tenebre
Bell

Post by Bell »

You fucking DEPers! You really think you got all the answers then ya come on here asking all these stupid questions that have already been answered.

You wanna go to a Ranger Battalion or not? If yes, then don't sign anything until the Recruiter delivers an Option 40 contract.

The rest of your questions have been answered except for the money issues. SFC hit_it will answer your questions.

You're talking all this shit and you aren't even on the right road. Get an Option 40 if ya wanna be a Ranger. Period.

RLTW
Bell
hit_it
Paratrooper

Re: 31S in the 75th?

Post by hit_it »

rossi46 wrote:At MEPS last week I was determined to get Airborne in my contract before signing. That went through OK but the $3k bonus that goes along with that option did not show up in the computer. The Career Counselor said it would only be if I had a guaranteed first duty in a Ranger BN. Besides the fact I had no idea non-11x could be in the 75th, he had already made 3 different phone calls to get me a 31S (with $5k bonus), 30+ college credits ($3k bonus), and Airborne, so I decided not to push it.

Before all of this I had really wanted to get Ft. Bragg as my first station, so before I even start thinking about having the scroll on my sleeve I gotta know - are there 31S SatComm guys in the Regiment? How would I go about getting that in my contract? Is the Opt 40 just for combat guys? Once I made it through RIP then would I be at the HQ or actually deployed?

SFC hit_it, in this MILPER: http://perscomnd04.army.mil/MILPERmsgs. ... enDocument it says nothing about Ranger option for non-11x MOS. Was the Counselor BS'ing me? Should I get my recruiter to push for the $3k? Thanks!
the 3K bonus will be granted upon completion of the course, even if you did not sign for it is what my email says. if i were you i wouldn't too much worry about it.

there are not any 31S guys in the Regiment. there are other SOCOM (USASOC) assignments that you could be in. and also in signal battalions across the Army. there's a whole brigade at Bragg you could most likely be in as well.

you will deploy.

there are non combat arms MOS's that recieve OP40. I have seen NBC, and admin as well as infantry. the Regt needs support guys too.

NICE MOS YOU GOT THERE, BTW. welcome aboard.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Roasting
Soldier

Post by Roasting »

sobersides wrote: You will deploy a lot for both training and real world ops, but you will not be a 'combat soldier'.
Ranger sobersides - thank you for the info. I hope nobody took it as I didn't want to deploy. Any opportunity for extra training or working with tactical units definitely interests me! I'm not joining the Army to sit behind a desk.

SFC hit_it - no 31S guys in the Regiment? Hopefully I can get Bragg then. How are the MEPS people with guaranteeing a first duty station? Do ASVAB scores, and the fact I volunteered for Aiborne give me any leverage? I realize this is no longer Ranger-related, so if its best to continue this through PMs let me know.

Ranger Bell - with all due respect, I didn't go to MEPS with the intention of getting a Ranger slot. Thus, no need to request Opt 40. It was only when the Counselor brought up the bonus situation did I start to consider that (obviously he was lying to me). Only after reading tons of threads on this board did I ask as to whether there were any SatComm Ranger guys. Turns out there aren't, so I want the next "highest-speed" assignment, which most people seem to say is Bragg and the 82nd.
penetra le tenebre
Bell

Post by Bell »

Roger that. You got a good job going there. Be the best you can be at it.

RLTW
Bell
Roasting
Soldier

Post by Roasting »

Will do, Ranger Bell.

I'm going to be using the Ft. Benning Ranger PT Prep found at this website: http://www.benning.army.mil/rtb/RANGER/ ... aining.htm Maybe I won't be a Ranger but sure as hell will try to train, and have a similar work ethic, as one.
penetra le tenebre
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

SFC hit_it - no 31S guys in the Regiment? Hopefully I can get Bragg then. How are the MEPS people with guaranteeing a first duty station? Do ASVAB scores, and the fact I volunteered for Aiborne give me any leverage? I realize this is no longer Ranger-related, so if its best to continue this through PMs let me know.
Support guys will more than likely go to their airborne assignments. however, since you didn't get station of choice in your contract, things may still change.

I answered the other question in a PM.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg

Return to “Recruitment Process”