Infection prevention

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Honestly???? Don't you have larger concerns to worry about?
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Re: Infection prevention

Post by rgrokelley »

poopscoop wrote:It's quite clear these days that MRSA is a sonofabitch, and I've seen far too many healthy people getting abcesses cleaned out in the ER to think even for a minute that I'm above infection. As such, I've taken to cleaning every scrape or cut I find with iodine if I have it near, or good ole hand sanitizer if that's all I have.

I imagine that in the confines of a barracks, infection is only going to become a larger threat. Beyond regular hand washing, what are some good methods for preventing a potentially debilitating and highly preventable infection? Are antiseptic and antibiotic creams available and expedient?
From your tag line, I see you wish to be a Ranger. If you are worrying that much about an infection, you are going into the wrong line of business. If you do it correctly you will end up crawling in other people's excretions, you will be covered in mud, dirt, and maybe even blood (hopefully someone else's, but shit happens). You will wiggle down into the gutter so folks can't see you below the curb. You will have flies cover you, that have just been munching down on poop or dead bodies.

The longest I ever went without any type of washing up at all was in 3rd Batt. 15 days, in Honduras. HONDURAS!!! Imagine the smell.

Get over it. Don't worry about it. Especially in basic training, or where ever you are going next.

On a hijack, what is the nastiest place on Earth? We asked this question on our Team from time to time. The decision was Haiti. However I was never in Haiti. I chose Colon, Panama.

What say you?
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Use regular soap and water.

(and colon is a pretty nasty place, isn't it?..)
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

poopscoop wrote:So my understanding is to not really worry about it, but if a massive hole starts forming on my body, staph related or not, give somebody a holler?

Can do.
It all depends. If you get a hole in your ass, and shit starts falling out of it... it is perfectly normal.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
abnhawk
Ranger

Post by abnhawk »

rgrokelley wrote:
poopscoop wrote:So my understanding is to not really worry about it, but if a massive hole starts forming on my body, staph related or not, give somebody a holler?

Can do.
It all depends. If you get a hole in your ass, and shit starts falling out of it... it is perfectly normal.
And if you develop a hole in your face, just below your nose, and shit starts coming out of it....please close it.
C 3/75 89 -91
RLTW!

Return to “Medical Issues”