M4 advice (for a noob)

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

Build it, Buy it whatever. Just make sure you don't buy some DPMS/Panther Arms crap. If you go cheap you will have a cheap gun. If you want to have a 14.5" like the one you use to have, you will have to register it as a Short Barreled Rifle. It will cost you $200 extra bucks and is pretty easy to do. If your going with an ACOG make sure that you get a Docter Site to go with it (you can buy them as a set). For your back up Iron sites you can't go wrong with ARMS or Troy Industries. As far as a stock the best one out there is the LMT SOCOM stock.

PM me if you got any questions. 8)
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
NupeRanger
Ranger

Post by NupeRanger »

Thanks again for all of the support. DIY does look a lot easier than I first thought. However, for my first AR, DIY is probably not the best option for me. It's a long story, but I am living out of a suitcase for the next four months (for work), and the only tools that I have . . . the trusty old leatherman.

Additionally, I am looking for something that is "sandbox" worthy. I want something that I can trust my life too. Not that I am a retard, but I don't know enough about rifles to be 100% sure on a DIY. That is why right now, I am looking more so for advice around quality brands and the best accessories. I am sure that once I start, I will eventually want to build my own as a hobby, but for right now, I just want to get some trigger time to knock the dust off.

Thanks again for all the helpful advice though. I spent like three hours last night researching DIY kits and how-to's. I am sure that it will cost a little more (i.e. getting raped without even a reach around), but I am looking for a tough, durable, quality M4 that can stand up to possible future deployments to either desert.

Thanks Ranger,

RLTW!
C Co 2/75 3-4 (2001-2003)
Tabless B!tc#
OEF 2x
RLTW!
NupeRanger
Ranger

Post by NupeRanger »

Parabellum wrote:Build it, Buy it whatever. . .

PM me if you got any questions. 8)
PM on its way :arrow:
Tabless B!tc#
OEF 2x
RLTW!
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

NupeRanger wrote:.....Not that I am a retard, but I don't know enough about rifles to be 100% sure on a DIY.....
I recently did some contract work at the FN facility in Columbia, SC.

If you can read, you can build a weapon that you can trust your life with.

Parabellum said it best in regards to buying though, you get what you pay for. I like the Bushy & RRA stuff, & I personally think that the "mainstream" manufacturers aren't worth the extra coin you pay for the label. A key thing to consider is the milling configuration of the lower receiver. Google Lightning Link and do a little reading.

you know, "just in case". :twisted:
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
NupeRanger
Ranger

Post by NupeRanger »

RangerX wrote:
NupeRanger wrote:.....Not that I am a retard, but I don't know enough about rifles to be 100% sure on a DIY.....
"just in case". :twisted:
Roger that, thanks for the extra info. That will definitely be on my DIY rifle down the road . . . :wink:

By the way, reading is for doctors and lawyers, I was a strong Ranger (a Maggot at that) :lol:
Last edited by NupeRanger on June 12th, 2008, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tabless B!tc#
OEF 2x
RLTW!
Black 6
Ranger

Post by Black 6 »

NupeRanger wrote:
RangerX wrote:
"just in case". :twisted:
Roger that, thanks for the extra info. That will definitely be on my DIY rifle down the road . . . :wink:

By the way, reading is for doctos and lawyers, I was a strong Ranger (a Maggot at that) :lol:

Maggot to Maggot, you don't need many tools and there are lots of pictures on the assyembly. I resisted building my own for a long time becasue I doubted my skills. Those reservations were blown away in the first 5 minutes of putting it together. I will never purchase a pre-built one again. It leterally was like a light went on in my head when I started putting it together, it was so simple that I honestly was ashamed that I was so afraid to attempt it. When you decide to build it, there are lots of people that are able to help here. And after you do build it, you will understand that it is just a man behind the curtain.

This is the link to my first build, I took it camping and shot some rounds through it. worked like a champ.
viewtopic.php?t=40156
2/75 Blacksheep 92-93, 1/9 93-94
1759 society member

"You will know me by the scars I bear.
You will know me by the hate I swear."-OTEP

01010011 01110000 01100001 01110010 01110100 01100001 01101110 00101111 01001000 01100101 01110010 01101111 00101110
NupeRanger
Ranger

Post by NupeRanger »

A great big thanks (again) for all of the advice. Especially to RangerX for (not only his cool avatar) reminding me about AR15.com. I started browsing there for sale forum and found a dealer in Texas that had the Colt LE6920 in stock. I know that it is a bit overpriced, but I plan on keeping it until I die, so it will still be here long after I am gone.

Anyway, time to hi-jack my own post:

My rifle is getting shipped today, and should be here next week. Now I need to add the gear to it. The two must haves are an optic and rail system.

I want an ACOG. I need to be able to reach out and touch someone. Any opinions on the TA01NSN-DOC, TRD, or regular? I have found the DOC for around $1300, and the NSN for around $850

All I know about when it comes to rail systems is the Knights Armament RIS/RAS that we had in Batt. It was pretty good. I have found it online for $250ish. Someone also mentioned Daniels Defense, but they seem just as expensive. - Another question here: is it really worth the extra loot to go free float?

Finally, any other advice on kit would be greatly appreciated. I didn't know it, but apparently Batt is using a new buttstock by LMT. I found a similar model at the local gun shop for $100 by "vltor" (any good)? I have seen the LMT at like $200!

Anyway, looking for advice and places to buy online - CHEAP! I already blew my wad on the rifle, so don't want to overpay for the kit.

Oh yeah, I need ammo on the cheap too. Any do's or don'ts here. I have always shot for free, so don't know the best place to get cheap practice ammo.

Thanks in advance,

RLTW!
Tabless B!tc#
OEF 2x
RLTW!
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Post by FireFinder »

For that kind of money for a scope, you might consider a Nightforce Compact on a LaRue Tactical SPR mount.

GG&G is making a nice compact red dot for close in stuff you can mount a Docter, Jpoint, etc. on.
13R2P B BTRY (TAB), 26th FA (ABN), 18th FA BDE (1984-1988)
11C (4.2" Mortar) CSC 2/124INF, FLARNG (1988-1989)
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Check the ammo price forum on AR15.com. Don't forget about cheaperthandirt.com as well.

I like to shoot surplus because the brass tends to last well through several reload cycles for my tack driver. I am considering switching to Wolf for plinking, as I have not heard anything bad from some of the folks I shoot with at my range.

I do keep a "combat load" of 300 rounds of surplus around "just in case".

Remember to take your barrel in to consideration when choosing between 55 grain and 62 grain. Mine likes the 62.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
NupeRanger
Ranger

Post by NupeRanger »

RangerX wrote:Remember to take your barrel in to consideration when choosing between 55 grain and 62 grain. Mine likes the 62.
What does the standard Colt (6920) take? (I used to just shoot what was in the ammo crate, and never had to buy ammo, so am not sure what is what?)

Thanks,
Tabless B!tc#
OEF 2x
RLTW!
another damn texan
Ranger

Post by another damn texan »

NupeRanger wrote:
RangerX wrote:Remember to take your barrel in to consideration when choosing between 55 grain and 62 grain. Mine likes the 62.
What does the standard Colt (6920) take? (I used to just shoot what was in the ammo crate, and never had to buy ammo, so am not sure what is what?)

Thanks,
It will shoot whatever you put in it (.223 or 5.56) assuming it is chambered in 5.56. What grain bullet works best for your rifle depends on what the rifle twist is. This should be marked on your barrel.
Bco 3/75 1993-1996
RS 1-95
NupeRanger
Ranger

Post by NupeRanger »

http://www.colt.com/law/lecarbine.asp

It's got 1:7 twist, and the barrel is 16" long. So, I am guessing that means that I can shoot anything 5.56(or .223) by 45? With grain ranging from 55 to 77?

I didn't realize how spoined we were in Batt!

Thanks,
Tabless B!tc#
OEF 2x
RLTW!
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Next time bro, buy an assembled lower recvr and assembled upper if you don't want to tackle the diy. You will still save money.

As far as ACOGs, get a ta-31f model...way better then the ta01 nsn. The TRD looks like my j-point.....

Jpoint's and doctor's are both g2g.

Return to “Weapons of War”