Marines pass out Gospel verse to Iraqi Muslims

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
Silverback
Ranger

Marines pass out Gospel verse to Iraqi Muslims

Post by Silverback »

FALLUJAH, Iraq — At the western entrance to the Iraqi city of Fallujah Tuesday, Muamar Anad handed his residence badge to the U.S. Marines guarding the city. They checked to be sure that he was a city resident, and when they were done, Anad said, a Marine slipped a coin out of his pocket and put it in his hand.

Out of fear, he accepted it, Anad said. When he was inside the city, the college student said, he looked at one side of the coin. "Where will you spend eternity?" it asked.

He flipped it over, and on the other side it read, "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. John 3:16."

"They are trying to convert us to Christianity," said Anad, a Sunni Muslim like most residents of this city in Anbar province. At home, he told his story, and his relatives echoed their disapproval: They'd been given the coins, too, he said.

Full Story
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
archangel
Tadpole

Post by archangel »

Oh for fuck sake. Ill believe it when USMC confirms it.
4/1 ID Enbrace the suck.

"When in doubt ATTACK! Cause chaos, panic and confusion. Above all else SHOOT SOMETHING!"
Black 6
Ranger

Post by Black 6 »

While I do not agree that a soldier in uniform should be pushing (even passively) any religion, I find it funny that their religious foundations could be shaken so much by a simple coin with a scripture and a question on it. I get handed shit all the time, it does not change my beliefs. Only a weak insecure person that wants strife would say that it sows seeds of strife.

And question, if so many of these have been passed out, why did they not have a picture of even one as proof?
2/75 Blacksheep 92-93, 1/9 93-94
1759 society member

"You will know me by the scars I bear.
You will know me by the hate I swear."-OTEP

01010011 01110000 01100001 01110010 01110100 01100001 01101110 00101111 01001000 01100101 01110010 01101111 00101110
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

What a fuckin Dumb ass
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Black 6 wrote:While I do not agree that a soldier in uniform should be pushing (even passively) any religion, I find it funny that their religious foundations could be shaken so much by a simple coin with a scripture and a question on it. I get handed shit all the time, it does not change my beliefs. Only a weak insecure person that wants strife would say that it sows seeds of strife.
But there is one fundamental difference...you have lived in a country that was founded on religious freedom!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Seems reasonable if it happened. Only thing I would add to the coin is....
"Because the chances of your living another year SUCK".
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Silverback wrote:
Black 6 wrote:While I do not agree that a soldier in uniform should be pushing (even passively) any religion, I find it funny that their religious foundations could be shaken so much by a simple coin with a scripture and a question on it. I get handed shit all the time, it does not change my beliefs. Only a weak insecure person that wants strife would say that it sows seeds of strife.
But there is one fundamental difference...you have lived in a country that was founded on religious freedom!
Not a country where the conversion to Christianity can cause your DEATH.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Rock Island Ranger wrote:Seems reasonable if it happened. Only thing I would add to the coin is....
"Because the chances of your living another year SUCK".
"Yea, tho I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil.. because I'm the baddest motherfucker in the valley"

Or that, perhaps?
I'll believe it when USMC confirms it.
X2
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Black 6
Ranger

Post by Black 6 »

Trust me, I fully understand and appreciate the freedoms I enjoy as a citicen of the US, but if so many people can be shaken by just a coin........ Then the religon has no real hold on its people. If it has no hold, why are so many scared?

I equate this with the fat toothless cow on the nightly news talking about how the twister came through her trailer park and destroyed everything but the toilet in the front yard that is used as a flower pot...... They want the attention, and anything that they can do to get it they will, and if it hurts the "ocupiers" as well, that is just gravy.
2/75 Blacksheep 92-93, 1/9 93-94
1759 society member

"You will know me by the scars I bear.
You will know me by the hate I swear."-OTEP

01010011 01110000 01100001 01110010 01110100 01100001 01101110 00101111 01001000 01100101 01110010 01101111 00101110
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Black 6 wrote:Trust me, I fully understand and appreciate the freedoms I enjoy as a citicen of the US, but if so many people can be shaken by just a coin........ Then the religon has no real hold on its people. If it has no hold, why are so many scared?

I equate this with the fat toothless cow on the nightly news talking about how the twister came through her trailer park and destroyed everything but the toilet in the front yard that is used as a flower pot...... They want the attention, and anything that they can do to get it they will, and if it hurts the "ocupiers" as well, that is just gravy.
You are close but really far off the mark. They are collectivly dunb as a bag of hammers. They have known nothing BUT islam...thats it ....nothing else....if you espouse anyother belife then you are an infidel and marked for death. It is a government based on religion. The point is the religion IS the people. This ranks up there with shooting holes in the Koran.

When the Imams and the Mullahs control access to information due to the fact that most of the people are illterate then it isnt a matter of trying to get attention....
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

As a Christian, this young man has been given a directive to fufill 'The Great Commission' which is to 'Go unto all the world and preach the Gospel' (or good news) of Jesus Christ.

I say more power to him, and I think more Christians should get off their panzy asses and get out of their church pews and do the same.

I agree with the 'message' of John 3:16 but don't necessisarily agree with this young mans delivery method. I think under the circumstances there may be other more effective methods of delivering the message. But at least he did something , and I for one give him props for that.

The boy wants to do it in uniform?
Now that is a whole different ball park.
I think he deserves disipline and the punisment should be swift and severe if he has violated any part of the UCMJ by passing out the religious coins.

Likewise, I also hope his reward in Heaven is great.
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

RTO wrote:As a Christian, this young man has been given a directive to fufill 'The Great Commission' which is to 'Go unto all the world and preach the Gospel' (or good news) of Jesus Christ.

I say more power to him, and I think more Christians should get off their panzy asses and get out of their church pews and do the same.

I agree with the 'message' of John 3:16 but don't necessisarily agree with this young mans delivery method. I think under the circumstances there may be other more effective methods of delivering the message. But at least he did something , and I for one give him props for that.

I think he deserves disipline and the punisment should be swift and severe if he has violated any part of the UCMJ by passing out the religious coins.

The military Directive is no one is to try to convert the locals......

His job is too close with and distroy the enemy. Not issue religious medalions.......If he wants to do that then join a missionary group. He is wrong.....and he has placede his fellow Americans in more danger by being wrong....
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

RTO wrote:As a Christian, this young man has been given a directive to fufill 'The Great Commission' which is to 'Go unto all the world and preach the Gospel' (or good news) of Jesus Christ.

I'm with you Brother!

I'm all for carving Jesus Loves You on a cricket bat and bludgeoning the Almighty into them.

Fucking Hindus...
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

rgrpuck wrote:

The military Directive is no one is to try to convert the locals......

His job is too close with and distroy the enemy. Not issue religious medalions.......If he wants to do that then join a missionary group. He is wrong.....and he has placede his fellow Americans in more danger by being wrong....
I agree. There is also something in the bible about being under submission to your government and authorities, even if you don't agree with them. If indeed it was made clear to this young man not to convert the locals, he shouldn't have done it and needs to have the full weight of the UCMJ against him.

If he feels this strongly about his religion, the military is not the place for him, unless he wants to get out and go to religious school and come back in as a Military Chaplain.

Return to “The News Dump”