Critique Me

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Columbus
Tadpole

Critique Me

Post by Columbus »

Hello Rangers and others. I was just hoping you could give me some advice on my current P.T. program. This is what I'm doing right now:

- Running one mile 4x/week.

- Doing a 10-Minute Push-Up workout 5x/week. This consists of doing a set number of push-ups (currently 13) at the beginning of a minute, resting the remainder of the minute, and then going at it again every minute for ten minutes.

- 10-Mine Pull-Up workout identical to the push-up one except doing sets of five. This is done 4x/week.

- Abs 5x/week. 3 sets of 30 crunches and a set of oblique crunches on each side (30). I do this, rest around ten minutes and do it again.

I lift Monday-Thursday for around 1.5 hours and do some sort of ruck on Fridays. Currently I'm only doing 30 lbs. for 3-miles.

Question: For the APFT, is it absolutely necessary that I touch my chest to the ground? I've been going about an inch or so above it.

This is all going off of my current P.T. stats of about 50 push-ups in two minutes, 90 sit-ups, a dozen or so chin-ups and 18:30 mile. This is going off of the last time I tested.

Ok, there it is. What do you think? I don't want to waste my time on something if there is something a lot better.

Thanks Rangers.

-Columbus
DixieRat
Ranger

Post by DixieRat »

An 18:30 mile? I'm 55, my knees are fucked up, and I can do a lot better than that. You should be training at 2 miles minimum with a goal of probably aound 12 to 13 minutes.
B/1/319th PFA, 82nd Abn Div 6/72-2/75
C/2/75 3/75-4/76
1/84th FA, 9th ID 5/76-8/77
TUSLOG Det 67 9/77-10/78

Tabless Bitch
Columbus
Tadpole

Post by Columbus »

Whhops, that was a typo. I meant an 18:30 2-Mile. My 1-Mile is probably in the neighborhood of 8:45 or so.
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

18:30 two mile? It's a starting point, but that is well over 9 minutes per mile and still practically walking.

We've been telling kids for years to run till you puke to improve run speeds. Near as I can tell, noone has died yet from this advice.. :twisted: :lol: :lol:

I'm serious though. Run till you puke. And I don't mean after having a lunch of three double-cheesburgers, two xtra large fries and two milkshakes and then going out and run on a full stomach kind of puke.

I mean sprinting, for a maximum distance, with such intensity that your body involuntarily pukes. It's good for you, actually. Consider it the half way point of your run. Wipe it off your shoes and run, fast as you can, back to the starting point.

Repeat as necessary till your run time is down to 12 minutes or less for a two mile run.
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Columbus wrote:Whhops, Ranger DixieRat,
that was a typo. I meant an 18:30 2-Mile. My 1-Mile is probably in the neighborhood of 8:45 or so.

I fixed your typo.....
Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

Columbus wrote:Whhops, that was a typo. I meant an 18:30 2-Mile. My 1-Mile is probably in the neighborhood of 8:45 or so.
That is still a "Whhops" stud... Your 1 mile time should be near 5:00 and 2 miles should be sub 12:00----really sub 11:00, but sub 12:00 would be acceptable.

There are many threads on here with great workout routines. Write down your current routine you have outlined for us here. Wad it up. And then throw it away. It ain't working and it won't. "SEARCH" for the PT routines and schedules that have worked for people, and do that.

18:30 2-mile...I hope you were dragging an F-150 behind you with the E-Brake on... :roll:
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
Columbus
Tadpole

Post by Columbus »

Roger that Ranger RTO.

Understood Ranger Oto-Man. I also say my "whhops", damn there being no edit button...

I will search for some other run programs as well Ranger Oto-Man.
scubask
Tadpole

Re: Critique Me

Post by scubask »

Columbus wrote: - Running one mile 4x/week.
Running 4 miles a week, 1 mile at a time won't help you much. Sounds like you need to work on your endurance and speed. Up the miles per run. In the regular infantry units I've been in, we run no less than 3 miles at a time, and the 3-4 mile run is the short run workout twice a week, with a long run (5-7 miles) once a week, and either ruck or sprint/fartlek training once a week, depending on what our goals are.
Columbus wrote: I lift Monday-Thursday for around 1.5 hours and do some sort of ruck on Fridays. Currently I'm only doing 30 lbs. for 3-miles.
30 lb ruck is ok when you're getting started, but you need to put more weight and mileage on the ruck. 35 lb/3 mi was my first ruck when I was going through Basic.
Columbus wrote: Question: For the APFT, is it absolutely necessary that I touch my chest to the ground? I've been going about an inch or so above it.
No, for the APFT pushups, the standard in the down position: if you draw a line from your elbow across your shoulders to the other elbow, it should be parallel to the ground. Your body needs to be straight as well with only your hands and feet in constant contact with the ground.
USMA 1996-2000
3/2 ID 2001-2003, 2005
3/1 SFG(A) 2003-2004
OIF 2004
scar
Ranger

Re: Critique Me

Post by scar »

Columbus wrote: Question: For the APFT, is it absolutely necessary that I touch my chest to the ground? I've been going about an inch or so above it.
if you intend on making it through RIP then be used to breaking the plain, your run time doesnt meet the minimum criteria for any male in the military, run everyday, and push yourself, try running out for 2 miles and then coming back instead of just running for 2 miles, the only way to get better at something is to do more than what you need to do for the test
3/75 C 1-1

RS 01-10
JarHedSolja
Tadpole

Post by JarHedSolja »

Use Ranger Silverbacks sticky post called 'APFT Improvement.' That program worked very well for me. I went from around 50 pushups to 90, 50 situps to 75 and my 2 mile time was ~14:00. It can get tedious but it works.
1999-2001 USMC
2003-2006 1-148th INF (M)
2006-2009 585th MP Co

Return to “About Army Physical Training”