Re-enlisting to go Ranger

Eight weeks of smoke, training & evaluation.
240gunner
US Army

Re-enlisting to go Ranger

Post by 240gunner »

I went to my re-enlistment guy today and he told me if I re-enlist he'll give me airborne and rip. I was wondering, how many people at RIP arent straight out of basic? Also, wearing a 3ID combat patch would be like wearing a big bullseye wouldnt it? Ive been in the army (infantry) for 2 years and I want to do more high speed shit than Ive been doing. All I ever do now is patrols and hardly ever do raids. I know a former Ranger in my company and he told me what he used to do in Ranger bat.

ADMIN EDIT: I capitalized every instance of the title Ranger
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Post an Intro and clean up your typing!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

If you're half-assed squared away, you won't get any more smoking than you've earned.
As an experienced combat soldier, much more will be expected of you than the PV1s, obviously.
RIP is a lot shorter than your time in Iraq, should be 'no big thing' if you're in shape.
Whatever shape you're in, it's not enough.
Make sure you check any attitude at the door. They don't necessarily care how good a soldier you are, they care if you're the right kind of soldier for our Regiment.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
greensoldier87
Embryo

Post by greensoldier87 »

I'm in the same boat. One of my SL's told me to get my Tab first though. I don't know what to do.
B co, 1-2 SCR (formerly Bco 1-5 INF reflagged)
dec 05- present
SDM, AG, 240 gunner and TL
SupplyRanger
Ranger

Post by SupplyRanger »

Ok here's what I suggest for the both of you (and this is my opinion). Reenlist to come to the Regiment. Go to RIP. If you pass (hopefully you do), then go to Ranger school from Bn. Don't worry about coming from another unit outside of Regiment. Who cares if you have a different combat patch; if you don’t feel comfortable wearing it, don't wear it. I think you should be proud of who you are and where you come from and not care what others think. You coming to Regiment and passing will show your peers that you saw the light and went toward it. As time passes you will learn what it really means to be an Airborne Ranger. The guys around you will become your brother. You'll do everything together. If you can think of it, you'll most likely do it or have done it together. It's an awesome place to be and a lot of guys dreams. When the time comes for you go to Ranger school, you will go with confidence (or it will be beaten into you). You will go and pass and earn your Ranger tab. Then you will be marked for life by anyone who comes in contact with you and even on your military record. People will see that you have a tab and will expect so much from you. You cannot let them down. Are you really ready to except that challenge? Privates will look to you for guidance when times get hard. You leaders will expect you to perform with minimum support and planning. Civilians will expect you to eat bug sammiches. So much comes with wearing such a small piece of cloth. If you decide to leave the Regiment at some point in your life, you will become a Ranger that so much is expected. You can leave the Regiment without a tab and leaders that see you will still expect more from you than that of the SOLDIER next to you. Why, because you are a marked man. You were a part of a brotherhood. A brotherhood that has proven itself over time that it only allows the best to serve within its ranks. It only wants those few select men that are willing to go further, faster and fight harder than any other SOLDIER. Men who have the intestinal fortitude required to fight on to the Ranger objective and complete the mission. Men who will never leave a fallen comrade to fall into the hands of the enemy.
It's a big responsibility, are you really up for the challenge or do you just want a pretty little badge and a mark on your ERB?
RLTW!
Last edited by SupplyRanger on February 18th, 2008, 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ranger School CL# 04-05
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

SupplyRanger wrote:Ok here's what I suggest for the both of you (and this is my opinion). Reenlist to come to the Regiment. Go to RIP. If you pass (hopefully you do), then go to Ranger school from Bn. Don't worry about coming from another unit outside of Regiment. Who cares if you have a different combat patch; if you don’t feel comfortable wearing it, don't wear it. I think you should be proud of who you are and where you come from and not care what others think. You coming to Regiment and passing will show your peers that you saw the light and went toward it. As time passes you will learn what it really means to be an Airborne Ranger. The guys around you will become your brother. You'll do everything together. If you can think of it, you'll most likely do it or have done it together. It's an awesome place to be and a lot of guys dreams. When the time comes for you go to Ranger school, you will go with confidence (or it will be beaten into you). You will go and pass and earn your Ranger tab. Then you will be marked for life by anyone who comes in contact with you and even on your military record. People will see that you have a tab and will expect so much from you. You cannot let them down. Are you really ready to except that challenge? Privates will look to you for guidance when times get hard. You leaders will expect you to perform with minimum support and planning. Civilians will expect you to eat bug sammiches. So much comes with wearing such a small piece of cloth. If you decide to leave the Regiment at some point in your life, you will become a Ranger that so much is expected. You can leave the Regiment without a tab and leaders that see you will still expect more from you than that of the SOLDIER next to you. Why, because you are a marked man. You were a part of a brotherhood. A brotherhood that has proven itself over time that it only allows the best to serve within its ranks. It only wants those few select men that are willing to go further, faster and fight harder than any other SOLDIER. Men who have the intestinal fortitude required to fight on to the Ranger objective and complete the mission. Men who are will never leave a fallen comrade to fall into the hands of the enemy.
It's a big responsibility, are you really up for the challenge or do you just want a pretty little badge and a mark on your ERB?
RLTW!
X2! Great advice, Jason!!!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

greensoldier87 wrote:I'm in the same boat. One of my SL's told me to get my Tab first though. I don't know what to do.
I agree with Supply Ranger.
If I were in your shoes, I would want to make the most expedient move possible, which means going to RIP first. No idea how hard school slots are where you're at now, but I think you'd be better prepared to complete Ranger School with time in the ranks at Battalion.
greensoldier87
Embryo

Post by greensoldier87 »

This is a relief to me, im currently in a Stryker unit so my training for the past 2.5 years has been nothing but raids because thats what we do. I was having a tough time wrapping my head around what sort of prep i would be able to pull off for woodsy recon patrols and what not while deployed. Thank you for your replies and sound advice. One more question tho, if i get to regiment you guys have a housewarming party for me with cookies and stuff right?
dec 05- present
SupplyRanger
Ranger

Post by SupplyRanger »

Tenn-RGR wrote:
greensoldier87 wrote:One more question tho, if i get to regiment you guys have a housewarming party for me with cookies and stuff right?
Yeah, bring your 2-quart and we'll hook you right up.
We can play volleyball righ :lol:
Ranger School CL# 04-05
Charlie 51
Ranger

Post by Charlie 51 »

Tenn-RGR wrote:
greensoldier87 wrote:One more question tho, if i get to regiment you guys have a housewarming party for me with cookies and stuff right?
Yeah, bring your 2-quart and we'll hook you right up.
I was thinking the exact same thing, nothing like 2 quart drills on noble hill!! :shock:
C Co 2/75 Weapons
Classes 4-5/93

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there" - Will Rogers
greensoldier87
Embryo

Post by greensoldier87 »

ahaha i used to live in Bco, right next to 2/75 and noble hill. i know all about them drills im so not coming to that party!
dec 05- present
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

K.Ingraham wrote: Whatever shape you're in, it's not enough...
This should be posted on a sign in front of the RIP barracks
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Charlie 51
Ranger

Post by Charlie 51 »

The Sleepy Doc wrote:
K.Ingraham wrote: Whatever shape you're in, it's not enough...
This should be posted on a sign in front of the RIP barracks
Or maybe this...

Not for the feint of heart or weak of mind, side effects may include nasuea, vomiting, halucinations, watery eyes, muscle soreness, trouble sleeping, oily discharge and panic attacks. Enter at your own risk. 8)
C Co 2/75 Weapons
Classes 4-5/93

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there" - Will Rogers
CWeber
Ranger

Post by CWeber »

greensoldier87 wrote:ahaha i used to live in Bco, right next to 2/75 and noble hill. i know all about them drills im so not coming to that party!
:roll: :roll: Like you have a choice. You might as well re-enlist for a school you think you might like, or one that will benefit your world wide assignment because from reading your posts thats where your headed. You've got almost 20 posts here in what 3 days. STFU the search button is your only friend.
B. Co. 3/75 92-94
Wpns Plt.
RS 10/93

-Only dead fish follow the stream-
archangel
Tadpole

Post by archangel »

K.Ingraham wrote:Make sure you check any attitude at the door. They don't necessarily care how good a soldier you are, they care if you're the right kind of soldier for our Regiment.
X1000000000000

Miss that step and you will spend a lot of sleepless nights regreting it.
4/1 ID Enbrace the suck.

"When in doubt ATTACK! Cause chaos, panic and confusion. Above all else SHOOT SOMETHING!"

Return to “About RASP”