Personal preference on Concealed Weapon

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Personal preference on Concealed Weapon

Post by BruteForce »

Now before I get responses to this message, know that my daily carry is a full sized 10mm, with my backup being an S&W .32cal (tomcat).

I now have a requirement to use a slightly smaller framed CCW weapon (tucked under the shirt, etc.) that my daily carry simply won't work for.

Thus far, I'm intrigued by the Springfield XD Compact 45.

Mind you, I'm 6'0 and 215 pounds, with large baseball mitt sized hands.

Any suggestions on a replacement appreciated.
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

I did a post showing my carry rig. I don't remember where it is... possibly WOW.

I carry a Glock 36, in a Crossbreed Super Tuck Delux holster. Best carry combo I have ever used. Very comfortable, easy to conceal and very easy to present. Whatever handgun you decide to go with, take a look at the Crossbreed holster. It's worth every penny.

I like the G36 because its a slim frame (single stack) .45 ACP. It holds 7+1 with the Pearce Grip extension, and I always carry a spare magazine. I have the XS Express Tritium Big Dot sights on it... and IMHO, it's one of the best carry guns I have ever owned.

I posted some pictures of me carrying and drawing the gun from the holster, from under my Magnum PI shirt... if you can't find it, I will link it when I get home.

Seriously though... take a look at the Crossbreed holster. Very comfy.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

GSXRanger wrote:Whatever handgun you decide to go with, take a look at the Crossbreed holster. It's worth every penny.
Based on your previous comment, I already purchased the Crossbreed, but it was for my larger framed 10mm. I either need to purchase larger pants or get a smaller CCW, and larger pants aren't an option! :)

Incidentally, is this the thread you're referencing: viewtopic.php?t=34667&highlight=glock

Oh, and fix your Photobucket shit, slacker! :D
US Army 1986 - 1994
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

Oh for fucks sake... gimme a break. Don't ya know I am down here in lovely Puerto Rico hanging with the hotties? I don't have time to fix my photobucket stuff... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, I renamed all of my folders... so I will have to repost the pictures. But, yep, that is the thread.

How do you like the Crossbreed? I can imagine that a full framed gun would be a bit... well, FULL framed.

I have one for my 1911 Govt. model, and it rides fine... just a bit heavy. I prefer my G36. If you happen to like Glocks, give it a look. It fits very comfy. Some argue the "low round count"... but, a full sized Govt model carries only 1 more round unless you have a 10 round mag. I have yet to get into a gunfight on the mean streets of the US where I needed more than 8 rounds. :wink:
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

GSX, it sounds like you really have it tough.

Hanging out in Tampa, down to Puerto Rico, tons-of-cash for buying new firearms/gear.

Sheesh.. Any job openings! :D
US Army 1986 - 1994
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

TC204 wrote:It all depends what time of the year it is with me. With bulky winter clothes I can carry just about anything, in the summer I use a belly band with a small revolver or a PPK/S. Loose fitting large T-shirts help too. I use regular belly bands and another type in white that has shoulder straps with velcro fasteners. This allows for a medium sized handgun.

I also occasionally use Bianchi, Fobus or Uncle Mike's small of the back or canted hip holsters in the summer if I want to carry my 1911.
I have one of these as well. A company called ActionDirect.com I believe, it's been a few years. The holster is the 'deep concealment' model, like a bellyband, but with straps to hold it up, the roscoe sits very comfortably under your armpit (vertically) and has stretch pockets for 2 mags around the band.

Not good for duty, but on a scoot with a t-shirt on that flys up in the wind, this holster is great. Rides high and if used with a thin single stack, stays very well hidden under the arm with just a t-shirt on.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

Went "window" shopping today and although nobody had stock in the G36 or SA XD Compact, I did see Taurus's offering in the .45ACP Compact line, but it just didn't sit well in the hand.

The Glock 30 wasn't too bad, but the grip was too short to feel comfortable in my mitts.
US Army 1986 - 1994
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

BruteForce wrote:Went "window" shopping today and although nobody had stock in the G36 or SA XD Compact, I did see Taurus's offering in the .45ACP Compact line, but it just didn't sit well in the hand.

The Glock 30 wasn't too bad, but the grip was too short to feel comfortable in my mitts.
I hear ya on the G30. It is exactly the same size as the G36, only it's wider, to handle the double stack magazine. The G36 is slimmer, since it's a single stack. with the stock magazine baseplate on it, I don't like it either. But, with a Pearce Grip finger groove on the magazine, it fits fine.

I have Pearce Grip +1 extensions on all of my G36 mags. No issues with them at all. With the extension on the magazine, it makes the G36 almost exactly the same size as the G19/23.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

TC204 wrote:
cams wrote:
TC204 wrote:It all depends what time of the year it is with me. With bulky winter clothes I can carry just about anything, in the summer I use a belly band with a small revolver or a PPK/S. Loose fitting large T-shirts help too. I use regular belly bands and another type in white that has shoulder straps with velcro fasteners. This allows for a medium sized handgun.

I also occasionally use Bianchi, Fobus or Uncle Mike's small of the back or canted hip holsters in the summer if I want to carry my 1911.
I have one of these as well. A company called ActionDirect.com I believe, it's been a few years. The holster is the 'deep concealment' model, like a bellyband, but with straps to hold it up, the roscoe sits very comfortably under your armpit (vertically) and has stretch pockets for 2 mags around the band.

Not good for duty, but on a scoot with a t-shirt on that flys up in the wind, this holster is great. Rides high and if used with a thin single stack, stays very well hidden under the arm with just a t-shirt on.
That's it, I couldn't think of the company that I got it from. I got the black band without straps from there as well. We know too well what happens in Massachusetts when the wind blows open your coat when you're carrying, you lose your Class A. It's happened...
Unfortunatly you are right. Only in MA. :roll:

Hope it wasn't you. :lol:
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

Decided against the Glock and went with a Springfield Arms XD 40cal Sub-Compact. Nice fit, came with a whole kit of extras, including a larger cap. magazine.

I was surprised that the SA XD was made in Croatia, not the US. :roll:

Paid $460 new..
US Army 1986 - 1994
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

I have several to include a Kimber Custom II and a Titan .25 ACP, but my Hungarian FEG PA-63 is very concealable. It is a copy of a PPK chambered in 9mm Makarov. I have killed a couple of ground hogs with it and at ranges under six paces accuracy is not an issue. The 9mm M ammo is getting easier to find. If the effectiveness of the round bothers you keep in mind that the 9mm M was the police/military pistol round in the USSR and Eastern Block for over 50 years. Not a round that you would want to get in a gun fight with, but it is still packs more power than a .380.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:

Return to “Personal Gear”