My option 40 story...

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
daveoskie
Tadpole

My option 40 story...

Post by daveoskie »

I found it actually easy to get my option 40, and I am not sure if it was pure luck, or several aspects led to it being easy. I have over 40 college credits, and scored high on the asvab (87). When I went to MEPs, I simply worked with them. They asked what I wanted, and I did not spout RANGER! at the top of my lungs. I told them I wanted infantry..then I said airborne, after that the counselor asked me if I wanted a Ranger contract. I did not even have to ask for it (although I wasn't leaving till I got it :P ) I also had a letter from my college stating my enrollment was until October of 2004, so that I wouldn't be able to leave until then. This however isn't true, I jus have prior commitments until that time, so my recruiter requested the form from the school. I think that several of these things helped me get my Ranger contract. 1. The letter from the school making my date in the next fiscal year, meaning my recruiter won't get credit for me till the next year. Although this is slightly bad for him, it is good for me because most guys going through will make their dates in this fiscal year, leaving open a lot of option 40 contracts. 2. High savable score. Having a high score doesn't really mean much, other than it is high enough to get the option 40 contract. Take the pre-test and see where you are at, and make sure you get well above that 50. 3. I wasn't rude and demanding (yet). The guys down there deal with a lot of whining post BHD kids who tell them what they think they want. If you are polite to them they will more then likely oblige you. Like I said before I am not sure if this is true or not, but it did work for me.
EarthPig is my God! All Hail EP!
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

The letter from the school making my date in the next fiscal year, meaning my recruiter won't get credit for me till the next year.
your recruiter got contract credit for you when you signed, he gets ship credit when you ship next fiscal year, and basic training credit when you graduate.

trust me, he got his. i'm glad you got yours too.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Blacksrt4
Tadpole

Post by Blacksrt4 »

I think I got mine because it was so far away from the ship date (december 05-septmeber14) and I hear its best to go to MEPS in the early parts of the month because thats when most of the jobs open up again? any truth to that SFC hit_it?
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

blacksrt4 wrote:I think I got mine because it was so far away from the ship date (december 05-septmeber14) and I hear its best to go to MEPS in the early parts of the month because thats when most of the jobs open up again? any truth to that SFC hit_it?
i posted that same bit of info here before. it's pretty accurate if i do say so myself. :wink:
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg

Return to “Recruitment Process”