Shooting at NIU

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

smokn38 wrote:
Horned Toad wrote:
smokn38 wrote: Being an LEO, that works an area that encompasses a similar school, within the same geographical area, what does adequate security and protection look like. Everyday I come to work I am expected to do more with less. Fact of the matter is if someone wants to do this, in our free and open society it is rather easy to accomplish. I agree an armed society is a polite society, but what would you like LE's response to be to "prevent" such activities.
I don’t think he was saying that it was the local LEOs responsibility to prevent it. He is say that for what a college charges to attend their school that THEY could have better security
Right but Universities have PD's, and I was just curious how this could even be accomplished.
The universities around here have their own PD and with the exception of Yale they are a joke. The only reasons Yale has a decent one are that A: lots of hight profile students go there (Babs Bush, to name one former..) and B: they have more money than most small countries (and that is no exaggeration..) Billions, with a capital "B".

Unfortunately, I think that in most universities and colleges this kinda thing would be a piece of cake to pull off and impossible to prevent. By the time people are getting shot it's too late and the PD are just in a reactive mode.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

smokn38 wrote:
Horned Toad wrote:
smokn38 wrote: Being an LEO, that works an area that encompasses a similar school, within the same geographical area, what does adequate security and protection look like. Everyday I come to work I am expected to do more with less. Fact of the matter is if someone wants to do this, in our free and open society it is rather easy to accomplish. I agree an armed society is a polite society, but what would you like LE's response to be to "prevent" such activities.
I don’t think he was saying that it was the local LEOs responsibility to prevent it. He is say that for what a college charges to attend their school that THEY could have better security
Right but Universities have PD's, and I was just curious how this could even be accomplished.
If you dont bring your own gun they issue you one at the start of the semester :D
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
smokn38
Paratrooper

Post by smokn38 »

Horned Toad wrote:
smokn38 wrote:
Horned Toad wrote: I don’t think he was saying that it was the local LEOs responsibility to prevent it. He is say that for what a college charges to attend their school that THEY could have better security
If you dont bring your own gun they issue you one at the start of the semester :D
Forgo the laptop, and order up a heater. I am not opposed to it.
HHC 1/508th Panama 1989-1990
HHC and A Co 1/505th 1990-1992
Thursday
Tadpole

Post by Thursday »

Seeing as how I live very close to NIU, in the Chicagoland area, and was actually in a college class at my community college at the time of this shooting, it is hitting very close to home with people around here. A lot of people that I have talked to want to make gun laws extremely more restrictive.

Most people are bringing up the fact that he legally purchased the shotgun and a hand gun about 2 weeks ago. They think that if gun sales were banned and outlawed that violent crimes would suddenly stop and never happen again. It amazes me that people think that only legally purchased guns are used in crimes. They pay no attention to the fact that it is possible to get a gun in ways other than from a gun store.

Take the city of Chicago. It's been "gun free" since April 16th, 1982. It is illegal to be in possession of a hand gun within the city borders. But every year people are shot or killed with hand guns in the city. Clearly this ordinance has done very well at stopping crimes committed with hand guns.

A lot of people think that by making ownership of guns much more difficulty, these types of tragedies will come to an end. They don't think about the fact that if someone tries hard enough to get a gun, they will be successful.

As for the security of schools and other places, it is impossible for police to be everywhere at all times. Unless schools want to put an officer in every room during every class and more in common and pubic areas, there is no way to stop these types of events from happening, unless you arm the students.

Give all students the option of legally carrying a gun everywhere. Require them to register and pass a background test. Require them to register and complete a firearms safety class that involves threat identification and reaction. I'm not saying that doing this is going to stop these school shootings, but it sure as hell is going to cut down on the amount of wounded and dead on scene and may even prevent some from happening.
Joeboo
USAF Veteran

It's simple...and cliche'd..

Post by Joeboo »

If you outlaw guns, the only ones with guns will be the outlaws.

I've sat, probably like many of you (I'm 30) and wondered, why this seems to be getting more common...looking for common elements among the incidents...here's a few I've noticed anecdotally for what they are worth.

1. Shooter always chooses a populous location full of unarmed targets.

2. Shooter never confronts armed resistance. (e.g. suicide by cop, delusion of glory, etc.)

3. Shooter(s) typically demonstrate premeditation (planning, legal weapons purchase, etc. ), in preparation for their actions.

4. High incidence of prescription drug consumption be it, il/legitimate, excessive, or digressive.

5. Shooter rarely appears to have any desire to survive their rampage.

RE: number 5. I can remember a 7 year old kid in a Kansas school that cut loose on his classroom, and didn't take his own life, sometime around the early 90's....I think his name was luke something, and I recall seeing interviews with the kid where he spoke of the events as commonly as buying gum at the grocery store.

What can ya do?
Consensus is the absence of leadership - Margret Thatcher
Tirehouse
Ranger

Post by Tirehouse »

Tenn-RGR wrote:This sucks, but you gotta control the population somehow.
I highly doubt you would say that if it was your kid..........
TFR Somalia
Kosovo KFOR3A, Iraq 2003-4 OIF 1, 08-10

Return to “The News Dump”