? on opportunity to become a Ranger

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
RTH
Embryo

? on opportunity to become a Ranger

Post by RTH »

I have few questions, and I would sincerely appreciate someone steering me in the right direction. I know there are several Rangers and a recruiter that frequents this site, so I believe this is the forum to ask.

Let me preface with the IS manager for our company is retired army and was a Ranger. I believe he started in 80 and left the military in 94 or 96. He states he spent time with 1st, 2nd, a 3rd battalion, and 7th special forces, he served in Grenada, Panama, Somalia, and Bosnia to name a few. Hence, I really enjoy talking with him about his experiences. He has given me a lot of information and I have spoken with different recruiters but the recruiters cannot seem to give me the same answer twice (no disrespect intended) but I am wary of them now. Additionally, I have searched prior threads, however, I am hoping to get a more definitive answer.

I am currently a CFO for a manufacturing company and am supposed to start back to graduate school in January 05. I have a great life, beautiful family and a great income; however, besides paying a lot of taxes I have done nothing to serve my country, so I have decided to join to the reserves for the duration of my graduate school (I believe reserves are at least 3 yrs). Grad school can be between one year and three depending on the answer to my next question.

With my degree I am told I would be commissioned in the reserves etc. But my real question is after I complete school could I then go active duty and get a shot at Ranger school? I have been told that if I accepted a commission there are only a few paths that could get me to Ranger school, but no one actually has told what the path is. The other issue is my age I am 34 (I would enlist prior to 35) but will be 35 when I get out of grad –school (if I take the one yr route). It would be an honor and I would relish the opportunity to attend RIP and then Ranger school. If given the opportunity I would never quit, to quit is not in my soul; I would either die or be forced to leave. Therefore if I do not perish or get tossed, would I be doing the Rangers any disservice, due to my age, assuming I only served a year or two with a battalion?

I am sorry this post was so long, and as I alluded to in my intro I have nothing but respect and admiration for the Rangers, you men are truly the best of the best. If I muddle up some how and get banished after just this one long post, I thank you for your service and sacrifices that you have made for our country.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

The other issue is my age I am 34 (I would enlist prior to 35) but will be 35 when I get out of grad –school
you wait and you be missing the fun. you have to ship before your 35th birthday. i know there's some erroneous shit out there, but trust me. you only got a few months.

as far as a commission in the reserves, don't see you getting Ranger ANYTHING that way.

better to enlist and have it garaunteed than go OCS(if accepted) and not even know if you'll be infantry. besides your age waiver taking more time to process (OCS is 29) AND THEY ONLY ACCEPT A FEW AGE WAIVERS FOR NON PRIOR SERVICE!

anyway, there's some things for you to consider before you pay for grad school.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Bell

Post by Bell »

You're talking about a lot in one space here. If you go as an officer you will probably get the chance to go to Ranger School if you go as infantry. However, you won't serve in a Ranger Battalion until you serve in another unit and become a Platoon Leader. Then, with a lot of luck, you might be able to get to a Battalion.

If you enlist you have several options as far as MOS. If you qualify you will be able to go through Basics/AIT, Airborne School, and then RIP. Upon completion of these three you will be assigned to a Ranger Battalion.

You must ask for and receive an Option 40 to go this route.

You got questions. We got answers. Ask away.

RLTW
Bell
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Hope things work out for you. Sounds like your manager has been there and done all that. Was he in all 3 Ranger Battalions or 1st,2nd, and 3rd Bat's of different units? Just curious.
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
RTH
Embryo

Post by RTH »

SFC Hit_It and Ranger Bell , thank you for the info. I am meeting with 2 recruiters next week, so hopefully I can get squared away.

Ranger McD, regarding your question, I am not sure. He isn’t around until wed so I will ask him.

One more question, one of the recruiters stated he “spent two years in the Rangersâ€
RTH
Embryo

Post by RTH »

Ranger Sobersides: regarding grad school – correct on the MBA, as for the rest, very insightful. This is a significant decision and I am considering all the options carefully, but unfortunately I am pressed for time.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

good luck to you RTH. KEEP US POSTED.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
RTH
Embryo

Post by RTH »

Ranger McD: I asked my co-worker today and he stated he was in different companies in different battalions at different times. I think I got that right.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you but he has not been around.
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

RTH wrote:Ranger McD: I asked my co-worker today and he stated he was in different companies in different battalions at different times. I think I got that right.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you but he has not been around.
Tell him about this site. After serving in all 3 BN's he probably knows somebody here.
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

Return to “Recruitment Process”