I need some advice...

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
289sotherhalf
Supreme Goddess of Drive On/Moderator

I need some advice...

Post by 289sotherhalf »

I know there are plenty of you who have experience with joint issues and NSAIDS like Motrin and if you are willing to help, I'd appreciate it.

I need something to help with my joint pain, and I'm not sure what to look at next. Problem is, my stomach is trashed from taking NSAIDS. It doesn't want to tolerate my regular meds anymore. It kinda limits what I can take for pain, and pushes more towards Narcotic meds, which I have a prescription for, but try to take as little as possible. I actually had a nurse tell me that with the injuries I've had, just take the Narcotics if I need them, and if I get addicted to them, I can deal with that after I'm healed. That's unacceptable, as far as I'm concerned.

Are there any NSAIDs that don't screw your stomach up? Anything topical that works well? Any advice I can get is appreciated.

Thanks!
~Ranger Wife~

"Love your enemies...it pisses them off!"

"Be careful whose toes you step on today because they might be connected to the foot that kicks your ass tomorrow."

"Behind every damsel is a fire breathing dragon."
DixieRat
Ranger

Post by DixieRat »

Topicals never worked for me. I used Naproxen after Ibuprofen casued problems.

Hope you have a speedy recovery.
B/1/319th PFA, 82nd Abn Div 6/72-2/75
C/2/75 3/75-4/76
1/84th FA, 9th ID 5/76-8/77
TUSLOG Det 67 9/77-10/78

Tabless Bitch
Jenny Lynn
Tadpole

Post by Jenny Lynn »

I stopped taking NASIDS since I was getting pains in my liver area so I've turned to homopatheic means.

rubs, creams with Arnica Montana and Arnica tablets help with inflammation and swelling, should be able to get from health food markets

sea salt bath with epsom salt, baking soda help pull toxins out of the body and help with lympathic system, also some essential oils help to if add to mositurizer, bath etc

I'm at work but will look in my essential oil book when I get home for more info.
Last edited by Jenny Lynn on February 7th, 2008, 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jenny
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.” Galileo Galilei

"If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right” Marcus Tullius Cicero

"By special Pastoral appointment."
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

I know that you have heard of DMSO, it's used on horses, and it works extreamly well on people too if you can put up with the garlic taste in your mouth. If you can get a hold of some, it might be worth trying.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

glucosamine and chondroitin...

Don't get the drugstore shit at 14.95...
Go to a good healthfood store (not GNC), or vitamin shop...and get the extract versions....About $45.00...and takes a couple weeks to get into your system...but it works pretty well....

(For other pain, I still take 800mg Rufin....but I can't take 3 at a time any more like I did at Batt. :wink: )
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Oto-Man wrote:glucosamine and chondroitin...

Don't get the drugstore shit at 14.95...
Go to a good healthfood store (not GNC), or vitamin shop...and get the extract versions....About $45.00...and takes a couple weeks to get into your system...but it works pretty well....

(For other pain, I still take 800mg Rufin....but I can't take 3 at a time any more like I did at Batt. :wink: )
I just heard the other day that they are now making that in a patch, like a smoker's patch. It supposedly works quite well for arthritis.....don't know if it would work for her smashed bones or not.

Keep getting well, L.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
KeyserS175

Post by KeyserS175 »

I was taking Ultracet and it worked great for me. It is a combo of acetaminophen and t r a m a d o l. While it does contain acetaminophen, I never had a problem with any other meds or any side effects. It is a very weak Narcotic but it worked great for pretty much any pain I had. I was on Ultracet for over a year and just got bumped to Vicodin.
Last edited by KeyserS175 on February 12th, 2008, 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
289sotherhalf

Post by 289sotherhalf »

Thank you for all the advice so far, Rangers and JL, I appreciate it. I have some research to do. I've heard from a few others about the glucosamine/chondroitin, and I'll definitely be looking into that. I didn't know there was that big of a difference in quality, so thanks for that info, Ranger Oto-Man. If they made a patch like that, it'd be pretty nice. As many as I'd need though, I'd probably be wrapped up like a mummy, :lol: :lol: :lol: j/k.......humor, it does the body good. :wink: Seriously, I'll be looking into them.

Ranger KeyserS175, I've tried the t r a m a d o l before, not with the acetaminophen combo, that's worth another look. I don't know why it's reading as acetaminophen and Ranger Cock, but hey, I've tried that combo, too. Pretty effective, :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: . I'm taking Percoset now, and what can I say, it works, but trying to take as little as possible.
~Ranger Wife~

"Be careful whose toes you step on today because they might be connected to the foot that kicks your ass tomorrow."

RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

KeyserS175 wrote:I was taking Ultracet and it worked great for me. It is a combo of acetaminophen and Ranger Cock.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
289sotherhalf

Post by 289sotherhalf »

EarthPig wrote:I just heard the other day that they are now making that in a patch, like a smoker's patch. It supposedly works quite well for arthritis.....don't know if it would work for her smashed bones or not.

Keep getting well, L.

RLTW
EP
Thank you, Ranger EP. I surely am. :D

Thank you as well, Ranger DixieRat.
~Ranger Wife~

KeyserS175

Post by KeyserS175 »

289sotherhalf wrote:Thank you for all the advice so far, Rangers and JL, I appreciate it. I have some research to do. I've heard from a few others about the glucosamine/chondroitin, and I'll definitely be looking into that. I didn't know there was that big of a difference in quality, so thanks for that info, Ranger Oto-Man. If they made a patch like that, it'd be pretty nice. As many as I'd need though, I'd probably be wrapped up like a mummy, :lol: :lol: :lol: j/k.......humor, it does the body good. :wink: Seriously, I'll be looking into them.

Ranger KeyserS175, I've tried the t r a m a d o l before, not with the acetaminophen combo, that's worth another look. I don't know why it's reading as acetaminophen and Ranger Cock, but hey, I've tried that combo, too. Pretty effective, :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: . I'm taking Percoset now, and what can I say, it works, but trying to take as little as possible.
I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE THAT CAME FROM!!!!! :x
Jenny Lynn
Tadpole

Post by Jenny Lynn »

Hello,

I'm not here to promote this product but I thought it was coincidential that I kept flipping today's local newspaper open to the full size ad that talks about this pain relieveing cream with glucosamine & chondrotin sulfate in it called Jointflex.

www.jointflex.com

I cut and pasted some of the information from the website link above

JointFlex® is the only pain reliever that utilizes the exclusive FUSOME® skin delivery technology and contains camphor plus Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate for skin conditioning. This technology enables the beneficial ingredients to be delivered quickly and safely to your skin. Plus, you can use JointFlex® daily with confidence since, unlike other pain relief creams, there is no burning sensation, no lingering medicine smell and no greasy residue.

JointFlex® is so effective, its pain relief performance is guaranteed. Simply purchase JointFlex® at your favorite retailer and apply to your painful areas. Your pain is guaranteed to reduce or disappear within minutes of your first application. To experience the long-term benefits of JointFlex®, continue to apply JointFlex daily, preferably twice a day and watch your chronic osteoarthritis pain gradually and continually reduce or disappear altogether. If you’re not completely amazed with the results, just send the empty tube and cash register receipt to SmartScience Laboratories and we will mail you a full product refund.

Which Symptoms Do You Want to Relieve? Arthritis Pain, Backache, Knee Pain, Should Pain, Hip Pain, Neck Pain, Muscle Sprains and Strains, Tendonitis, Bruises and Cramps. JointFlex® relieves them all.

I'm going to be picking a tube of this up for myself, if it helps my joints without the stomach discomfort I usually get from taking Glucosamine and Chondroitin in pills this will be a blessing for me :lol:
Jenny
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.” Galileo Galilei

"If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right” Marcus Tullius Cicero

"By special Pastoral appointment."
Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

Jenny Lynn wrote:Hello,

I'm not here to promote this product but I thought it was coincidential that I kept flipping today's local newspaper open to the full size ad that talks about this pain relieveing cream with glucosamine & chondrotin sulfate in it called Jointflex.
....bla bla bla......

I'm going to be picking a tube of this up for myself, if it helps my joints without the stomach discomfort I usually get from taking Glucosamine and Chondroitin in pills this will be a blessing for me :lol:
Hey JL......It's Monday:
cams wrote:
Oto-Man wrote:no...it ain't going away!!!(yet!!!)

Bump...

(cams...she did say CLAM, right?)
I believe the exact words were "happy clam". 8) :lol:
viewtopic.php?p=493645&highlight=#493645[/b]
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

I'm still fucking laughing at the "Ranger Cock"... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Gordo173
Ranger

Post by Gordo173 »

Try booze and Vicodin!

Works like a charm! :twisted:
Wpns/C/2-75(INF)(RGR)(ABN)
1/1/C/2-75(INF)(RGR)(ABN)
C,HHC,D/3-6(INF)(Mech)
HHC/2-504 PIR
A/1-504 PIR