Prior BUD's student with question on branch switch.

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
onebadshot556
US Navy

Prior BUD's student with question on branch switch.

Post by onebadshot556 »

Been a while since I have been on this site, but always pulled lots of info from the wealth of knowledge on PT and other info.
So as the title reads I'v been in the Navy for about 7 months now and had the luck to be in BUD's for 3 months of it. I was medically dropped from training from doctors saying I might have a brain tumor, ends up it was an inner ear infection from the richly clean bay they love to make us play in. I was medically cleared by doctors higher up and not the BUD's docs, tried to get re instated with even some instructors help and the doc still refused it. He was a little pissed off that I brought instructors into it and had enlisted guys telling an O he's a jackass. So basically screwed right now and burnt some bridges at BUD's medical. Navy is trying to force some paint chipping job in the fleet down my throat. Decent jobs like EOD, or other high speed shit is all closed at the moment. As it is I might have to go rock out a shit job for a while, but not up for doing 4 years of this crap.
So the question is, what are the chances of getting into the Army and getting the chance at Ranger school, SF selection? Would I be able to put in for it during the branch change? I would rather be an infantryman with a regular Army division then a button pusher on a ship.
Thanks for any info you guys might have. Gonna go hit up the Army recruiter here in San Diego this weekend hopefully.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

You could not request that training in the branch change. You will be able to sign for a MOS (which the Army will provide a list of) and go from there.

The process is long and must be initiated from the Navy side.

Infantry will be on that list of MOS's. You can pretty much count on it.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Damn your luck, what a kick in the balls.
There is a formal program for this type of transfer & it can be done.
Meanwhile, do the best you can at whatever job they hang you with until you can get into green.
Making 3 months of BUDS is a pretty good indicator that you'll make it through the RIP pipeline OK.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

K.Ingraham wrote:Damn your luck, what a kick in the balls.
There is a formal program for this type of transfer & it can be done.
Meanwhile, do the best you can at whatever job they hang you with until you can get into green.
Making 3 months of BUDS is a pretty good indicator that you'll make it through the RIP pipeline OK.
Yup. You just won't have to bring any sunglasses or hair gel, that's all... :lol:
onebadshot556
US Navy

Post by onebadshot556 »

Oh never mind then no gel....no sunglass's what about my tan? I only do well if I can shoot in style. If I choose infantry what is the process of getting a package in to go to Ranger school? SF selection? I have also thought about going Riverine, but like you said there is a lot of BUD's dropouts and most of them have pretty bad attitudes after they ring out. Thank you for info.
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

I admire your drive, and it goes to show you how "Political" the SOF arena can be. Piss off the wrong person, and down the tube you go. Now, what would you do in the East Bay Swamp with no hair dryer?

Oh the HORROR!!! 8) :wink:
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

onebadshot556 wrote:Oh never mind then no gel....no sunglass's what about my tan? I only do well if I can shoot in style. If I choose infantry what is the process of getting a package in to go to Ranger school? SF selection? I have also thought about going Riverine, but like you said there is a lot of BUD's dropouts and most of them have pretty bad attitudes after they ring out. Thank you for info.
You would have to get to a rifle company a prove yourself, but you will be able to get a shot at Ranger school. SFAS would have to be worked through their recruiters.

Work on getting over on this side first, then focus on the 300 meter target.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

It would be good for you to try and go to the boat teams, regardless of what you think the attitude is like there. I know and have worked with quite a few boat guys and most of them were excellent guys.

Plus it will keep you out of the fleet bullshit and you won't be a shoe.
onebadshot556
US Navy

Post by onebadshot556 »

Thank you Ranger Nomad, and to all other Ranger's that replied. I will look into the boat teams and continue to search my options. Another question though, what is it like to be a Ranger medic, coremen opened up the other day and Im considering it, even if I do have to deal with a bunch of Marines.

Return to “Recruitment Process”