US defense secretary Gates slams NATO force in southern Afgh

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
Chiron
Ranger

US defense secretary Gates slams NATO force in southern Afgh

Post by Chiron »

WASHINGTON (AFP) — US Defense Secretary Robert Gates unleashed a storm on Wednesday by criticizing NATO forces in southern Afghanistan, saying they were ill-prepared to fight an insurgency.

"I'm worried we have some military forces that don't know how to do counter-insurgency operations," Gates told the Los Angeles Times. "Most of the European forces, NATO forces, are not trained in counter-insurgency."

Troops mainly from Britain, Canada and the Netherlands are deployed in southern Afghanistan bearing the brunt of a fierce resurgence by the Taliban Islamic militia, which left around 6,000 people dead, including some 220 international soldiers.

Full story
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Darksaga
Soldier

Post by Darksaga »

Pot calling the kettle black
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henery Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"I might not be Airborne however, it's whats on my right sleave!"
*1992-1996 USMC CPL
* 12/2005- present USAR Medic PL/ Human Terrain Teams
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

the BRITS 'don't know' COIN??
What a freaking idiot.
The Canadians finally get into the fight in a meaningful way & the first thing we do is crap on them. sheesh.

After all the opportunities his pedecesor blew, we don't have cause to talk squat.
Except to the froggies & jerries the others who'll send "soldiers" but won't allow them to man up to the fight.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

funny, but I happen to be reading a book called Learning to Eat Soup With a Knife, Counterinsurgency Lessons from Malaya and Vietnam

the Brits managed to win, and we left...

A-stan went pretty well under Spec-Ops, primarily SF. then the conventional Army got involved finally. heard some not so flatering things about my Div. CDR and how he planned/ran Annoconda.

reading the book, and compairing how things are going here, now; well, I'm taking notes as I read...
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long

Return to “The News Dump”