Carry options

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
swagger
Ranger

Carry options

Post by swagger »

Okay so come the time I hit the range in a month or so I'll need to choose a service weapon. I'll have a choice of Glock 19, Sig P226 and whatever the sassy smith auto 9mm is. Just looking for any substantiated opions/ experience. Leaning pretty heavy towards the Glock right now.
Thanks Gents.
1st BN: Bco 98-02, HHC 02-04
RS 5-99

If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it properly.
Ndog275
Ranger

Post by Ndog275 »

Go with the Glock. I haven't been able to make one not work.
A 1/75 93-97
B&HHC 2/75 97-99
RS 3,4&5-95

This mighty soldier on the eve of the war he waged
Told his troops of lessons learned from battles fought.
"May your heart grow bolder like an iron-clad brigade"
Said this leader to his outnumbered lot.

www.75thrra.com
www.tacticaltailor.com
another damn texan
Ranger

Post by another damn texan »

Glock, bro. I carry one every day and I can't find anything wrong with it other than it's ugly. Probably the most durable and dependable hand gun you can own.
Bco 3/75 1993-1996
RS 1-95
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Post by FireFinder »

I've been shooting Glocks for about 7 years, mostly competition with hot or low-powered handloads. They are very, very reliable. I've put about 10k rounds of 9mm through my model 34, and probably another 15k through my other Glocks.

I replace the mag springs every year, clean it once in a blue moon, and generally just shoot it, and throw it back in the safe.

You really can't go wrong with one.
13R2P B BTRY (TAB), 26th FA (ABN), 18th FA BDE (1984-1988)
11C (4.2" Mortar) CSC 2/124INF, FLARNG (1988-1989)
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

Ndog275 wrote:Go with the Glock. I haven't been able to make one not work.
It's true. Ndog's been pissing off King County tax payers like me by breaking pieces of his service pistol and he's still "bustin' caps" with it.

I like my Glock 21, but I haven't put nearly enough rounds through it to categorically say it's full of awesomeness.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

The Glock is the work horse of the pistol world. They ain't pretty... but, you can't kill em.

Sig is like a Swiss Watch. Very nice, Very reliable... but, you still have a DA/SA trigger and a pretty high bore center line to deal with.

I would go with the Glock as well. Practice dry firing it, and pointing it from the holster until it is second nature. The grip angle of the Glock is a bit different for shooters just getting started with them... but, once you get familiar with it, it points very naturally.

Just practice, practice, and practice some more. Get to know your duty gear, and holster, mag pouches, etc...

But, why are they giving you the G19? Are you gonna be in a plain clothes environment?
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
RGR_Dan
Ranger

Glock

Post by RGR_Dan »

Go with the Glock.

If you choose to carry a back up then you should get one of the baby glocks in 9mm also. They will take the G19 Mag. I used to carry a 22 and a 27. You will just have to figure out which small glock to get.

If your primary goes down, you still have access to all of your ammo.
95-98 Aco. 3/75 2nd plt Weapons Sqd
98-01Hco 121st LRS
Former LEO
Former Contractor
LEO (round 2)
swagger
Ranger

Post by swagger »

GSXRanger wrote:But, why are they giving you the G19? Are you gonna be in a plain clothes environment?
'Cause there sure are a lot of bitches in my academy class.........Can't wait to watch some of them at the range for the first time. :shock:
RGR_Dan wrote:"Go with the Glock.

If you choose to carry a back up then you should get one of the baby glocks in 9mm also. They will take the G19 Mag. I used to carry a 22 and a 27. You will just have to figure out which small glock to get.

If your primary goes down, you still have access to all of your ammo."
Thanks RGR_Dan

You guys always got some sage advise. Thanks Gents, sounds like Glock it is!

QRT was here
RS 5-99

cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

A lot of friends had bought the small glock, thinking the same thing. Now they are all trying to sell them. Too fat for concealed carry under a shirt due to the staggered mag, and the grip is so short their is practically no retention if someone grabs it and pulls it either down or away from you. Slides right out of the hand.

Don't worry about having mixed mags, or the same as your duty weapon, just carry one or two extra in a coat pocket. It ain't tv where you can fire 5-6 mags into a crowd before Jonny Law shows up to save the day anyway.

My .40 Karh to me is a great off duty piece. Single stack mag so it's nice and slim under a t-shirt, full size grips for comfort and retention, but a smaler frame for concealment. And it's a .40, don't fuck around with 9mm in the city, most likely if you use it it will be at a vehicle or thru the vehciles windows coming at you, or at some big fucker with 3 coats and a leather jacket on, you want to make sure they go thru all them layers they wear since you'll be an off duty fuzz. Check it out, they are accurate as fuck right out of the box.

Yankees suck.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

Glock is the gun in my book! Carry one every day on duty (22) and off duty (19). Sig's are great guns, can't kill'em but very few people ever master that DA/SA trigger to the point that when under stress (2 way shooting range) they don't flub that second follow up shot and yank out of oblivion. DA only guns are great for department knuckleheads (we all have a few of those now don't we?). Smooth is accurate, speed comes with accuracy. Glock's pointabilty and flawless performance make it great choice. My .02.
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
swagger
Ranger

Post by swagger »

Think I confused one or two of you (cams head is still swoonin from last years bullshit) with a misleading title. Weapons listed are for uniform carry. Off-duty I'm just as limited, to a glock 26, smith revolver, beretta 8000 mini d, and the kahr k-9. would love to carry a .40 in uniform and would love a kimber for off-dutybut, cue the violins whoa is me.
RS 5-99

colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

Why would you carry a 19 on duty in uniform. Shit easy choice here, Glock 17! Worlds coming to an end, I can only have one gun, it's Glock 17 everytime!
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

I would take the 34 over the 17 anyday for a full size gun... I own both, and I like the extra umph the longer barrel gives. Plus, it's just a hoot to shoot.

Still, in the end, I am a .45 fan. I have a G36 on my hip all the time, and a G21 for open carry type situations, or range time. My G34 is for one thing only. Production IPSC / USPSA (which I really suck at).

I have always had a thing for the Khar... but, every gun shop I have been in lately, under their breath, tells me to stay away from the Khar. I can not speak to this... that's just what they are telling me. On the other hand, I know a deputy that has a K40 that he has carried for years... no issues.

It's all good.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

Oh, and yes... Yankees suck. Go SOCKS!
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

GSXRanger wrote:Oh, and yes... Yankees suck. Go SOCKS!
Good grief.

It's SOX, not fucking socks. :roll:

Jesus help me and save me. 8) :wink:
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant

Return to “Weapons of War”