Input Request on new Auto

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
McD
Ranger

Input Request on new Auto

Post by McD »

I've been thinking about getting a .22LR auto for having some plinking fun with. I see that Sig Sauer makes one (the Mosquito) that is built so that it is 90% of the size of the P226, which I thought would be kind of nice (not that I have a P226). But you could do a lot of practice cheaply with the .22LR and have the weapon at least feel very similar to the larger caliber version.

Is any other manufaturer offering anything similar?
I have always been a 45 guy and I see the P226 is only offered in 9mm, .357 Sig, and .40 S&W. Any preference on these calibers?
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Input Request on new Auto

Post by cams »

McD wrote:I've been thinking about getting a .22LR auto for having some plinking fun with. I see that Sig Sauer makes one (the Mosquito) that is built so that it is 90% of the size of the P226, which I thought would be kind of nice (not that I have a P226). But you could do a lot of practice cheaply with the .22LR and have the weapon at least feel very similar to the larger caliber version.

I have always been a 45 guy and I see the P226 is only offered in 9mm, .357 Sig, and .40 S&W. Any preference on these calibers?
I carry a 226 in .40 daily. I'm not a competition shooter by any means but this is one beautiful weapon. Very accurate and have approx 3000 rounds through it with not one problem. Has integral rails for a light or laser/light combo and good night sights.

I have an M-3 Taclite on it now that fails every once in a while during low/no light shooting and will be putting a better light on it soon, $$.

A little heavy for concealed, but the 229 in .40 is smaller/lighter and just as accurate. Much better for concealed/everyday/plainclothes.

You can get the same size/weight pretty much in .40 as you would in 9mm, but a much better round with more punch for heavy clothing/car windows, etc.

I also have a KARH .40, perfect everyday carry gun, about the size of an open hand with a single stack mag (6+1), thin and very easily concealed under a t-shirt in hot weather. Also very accurate out of the box.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

I did some net searching last night and haven't seen to many good things said about the Mosquito. Seems to be very picky about the ammo. So other than the similar frame to the P226 not much else going for it.

I'll keep looking. I've heard good thing about the Browning .22 Auto's.
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
DixieRat
Ranger

Post by DixieRat »

McD wrote:I did some net searching last night and haven't seen to many good things said about the Mosquito. Seems to be very picky about the ammo. So other than the similar frame to the P226 not much else going for it.

I'll keep looking. I've heard good thing about the Browning .22 Auto's.
My brother has a Browning and I have a Ruger MK II. The Browning is a sweeet shooter and MUCH easier to clean than my Ruger.
B/1/319th PFA, 82nd Abn Div 6/72-2/75
C/2/75 3/75-4/76
1/84th FA, 9th ID 5/76-8/77
TUSLOG Det 67 9/77-10/78

Tabless Bitch
smokn38
Paratrooper

Post by smokn38 »

McD wrote:I've been thinking about getting a .22LR auto for having some plinking fun with. I see that Sig Sauer makes one (the Mosquito) that is built so that it is 90% of the size of the P226, which I thought would be kind of nice (not that I have a P226). But you could do a lot of practice cheaply with the .22LR and have the weapon at least feel very similar to the larger caliber version.

I carry a 226 .40 everyday as well. Nothing but good things to say about Sig and their equipment. A little heavy, but reliable.
HHC 1/508th Panama 1989-1990
HHC and A Co 1/505th 1990-1992
Glenn, MSG Ret.
US Army Veteran - Ranger Parent

Post by Glenn, MSG Ret. »

I carry a Glock 23, .40 cal., on the job. Shot good right out of the box. I only get to shoot it during qualifications with a little target practice in between. The Milwaukee PD uses the same weapon with little complaints.
Former 2nd squad 3rd platoon A Co. 3/75 Dad
USNavy 1960-1966
USArmy 1980-2001
Retired MSG
Glenn, MSG Ret.
US Army Veteran - Ranger Parent

Post by Glenn, MSG Ret. »

McD wrote: I used to carry the 226 (9mm) but prefer the larger round -vs- more smaller rounds.
It's always easy to change magazines when the 1st one runs dry.
I like .40 cal but I still think .45 is king. Nothing beats .22 for plinking & economy.
Former 2nd squad 3rd platoon A Co. 3/75 Dad
USNavy 1960-1966
USArmy 1980-2001
Retired MSG
Oilpatch
Tadpole

Post by Oilpatch »

Ranger McD, Walther makes a pair that let you do that.

The P22 in 22LR is nearly a clone of the P99, which is available in either 9mm or .40.

S&W has a near copy of the big bore version with their S&W99, but no .22 version.

You can see them here:

http://www.impactguns.com/store/waltherp99.html
http://www.impactguns.com/store/waltherp22.html
http://www.impactguns.com/store/swsemi.html

(Not a plug of any kind, they just happen to offer all three)

Oilpatch
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Oilpatch wrote:Ranger McD, Walther makes a pair that let you do that.

The P22 in 22LR is nearly a clone of the P99, which is available in either 9mm or .40.

S&W has a near copy of the big bore version with their S&W99, but no .22 version.

You can see them here:

http://www.impactguns.com/store/waltherp99.html
http://www.impactguns.com/store/waltherp22.html
http://www.impactguns.com/store/swsemi.html

(Not a plug of any kind, they just happen to offer all three)

Oilpatch
I've heard that anything Walther made in the US is junk, the only good ones are still made in GER and big money. Never owned one, just what I heard.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

I have fired the Walther .22 LR pistol.. P22 I think it's called. The trigger on it is CRAP. It's about the size of a Tazer as well. Not comfortable.

I have not fired the Sig .22, but I have handled it at the range. It's like a micro sized P226. It's about 90% of the size of the P226... seems well made, and very well balanced.

I have also heard mixed reviews about the Glock .22 conversions. Been thinking about ponying up and getting one, to try it out.

I have a Ruger MK3 22/45 that has the same grip angle as a 1911, and is a dream to shoot. It's a PITA to tear down, but once you get the hang of it, it's not all THAT bad.

I too, like the .45 ACP. If I had to have a SIG, I would LOVE to have the P220 SAO. The new single action only that just came out... PURE SEX!!!

Back when I was sworn, I carried a P220 as a duty weapon, and loved it.

Now, I am a Glock Whore, and am cutting my teeth in IDPA and USPSA... Ranger WannaRace is giving me pointers, and I have my first USPSA match on this Tuesday night coming up. Hopefully, I will be able to video some of my stages, and will post them for you guys to laugh at me.

I will be running a Glock 34 in Production.

As for the Walther PPK, my wife carries a PPK Stainless as her little carry gun. It eats 90 grain Hydra Shoks like candy!

Sweet shooting little gun, but the DA trigger pull is like, 8 gazillion pounds.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Return to “Weapons of War”