Which route should I take?

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
onorok
Embryo

Which route should I take?

Post by onorok »

I leave for Ft. Benning the 30th of June and I want to be a Ranger. I also would like to get many other qualifications but what order should I/could I do them in.
-Airborne(which I will definately do after infantry ait)
-Mountain warfare school
-air assault school
-survival school

I was thinking it would be good to serve in a specialized unit for a while before RIP, like 101st, 82nd, 10th mountain division. What do you guys think? Do alot of Rangers do this or just go straight to RIP after airborne? Would it be easier to go straight to RIP since its across the street basicaly?
deleon275
Ranger

Re: Which route should I take?

Post by deleon275 »

onorok wrote:I leave for Ft. Benning the 30th of June and I want to be a Ranger. I also would like to get many other qualifications but what order should I/could I do them in.
-Airborne(which I will definately do after infantry ait)
-Mountain warfare school
-air assault school
-survival school

I was thinking it would be good to serve in a specialized unit for a while before RIP, like 101st, 82nd, 10th mountain division. What do you guys think? Do alot of Rangers do this or just go straight to RIP after airborne? Would it be easier to go straight to RIP since its across the street basicaly?
To goto Mountain, air assault, or survival ( im assuming you mean SERE ), you need to prove your worth first and what better place to do it than Ranger Regiment. If you do goto Regiment dont expect to goto any of these schools until you get your Ranger Tab. Of those three schools I'd say SERE would be the most beneficial. I haven't heard much of air assault in terms of greatness from those who have gone to it.
"When you look at this final agreement that we came to with the White House, I got 98 percent of what I wanted. I’m pretty happy." John Boehner

''If we took away the minimum wage — if conceivably it was gone — we could potentially virtually wipe out unemployment completely because we would be able to offer jobs at whatever level.''
onorok
Embryo

Post by onorok »

So you guys don't think it would be beneficial to serve in an airborne unit first before going to RIP? Also I heard you spend almost a year in a unit before you make it to a Ranger Battalion after RIP, would they put me directly in like say 82nd Airborne?
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

onorok wrote:So you guys don't think it would be beneficial to serve in an airborne unit first before going to RIP? Also I heard you spend almost a year in a unit before you make it to a Ranger Battalion after RIP, would they put me directly in like say 82nd Airborne?
Passing RIP is what gets you into the Regt. As soon as a man passes RIP, he is sent to the Regt., one of the 3 batts or Regt. HQ.

Edited to include: Have you even talked to a recruiter. Someone has been giving you, or you have been taking info the wrong way.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
onorok
Embryo

Post by onorok »

I'm a DEP actualy, none of the recruiters in my area have ever been to Ranger school, and don't know much about it.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

Click search, and with a little initiative the Gods will send presents like rain on a training day.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Nathan
Tadpole

Post by Nathan »

onorok wrote:Also I heard you spend almost a year in a unit before you make it to a Ranger Battalion after RIP, would they put me directly in like say 82nd Airborne?
He more than likely heard this from his recruiter. Mine told me the same thing, and I mentioned that it wasn't the information I was hearing from some Rangers. And he changed it quite a bit. I dont get why he would lie like that?

Return to “Recruitment Process”