101st/75th/82nd???

Ground Week, Tower Week, Jump Week.
mmwmia

101st/75th/82nd???

Post by mmwmia »

what's the main differences between the 101st Airborne Division, 82nd Airborne Division and the 75th Ranger Regiment? I thought they were all comprised of Rangers. Is being Airborne and being a Ranger two different things? This is probably a dumbass question, but sitting behind a fucking desk and watching my life slowly swirl down the drain is not my idea of fun. I'm from south Mississippi and have been playing in the woods with guns since I was in diapers. I'm seriously looking into the military, specifically Rangers, nothing less. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
mmwmia

Post by mmwmia »

"Think before I speak?" Like you did with Ranger_dc? You know, a reply like that coming from a Ranger would hold merit, but coming from a DEP like you, and after reading some of your other assinine and idiotic posts throughout this forum, it makes me giggle. Balls up to someone else, my friend. I HAVE searched and the results didn't answer my question.
Does the 101st and 82nd consist of Rangers, or only Airborne, if there even IS a difference. If I've missed the answer on this site I apologize in advance. I just haven't gotten a straight answer yet.
RafterMan
Tadpole

Post by RafterMan »

I beleive that the 101st and 82nd airborne are just that; airborne infantry. Rangers are the 75th. I could be wrong.. but i don't think I am. :?
kduhg

Post by kduhg »

what's the main differences between the 101st Airborne Division, 82nd Airborne Division and the 75th Ranger Regiment? I thought they were all comprised of Rangers.
heh, mmwmia, i think you already kinda answered the question already:

101st Airborne, 82nd Airborne, 75th RANGER.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

This is a funny thread. If you guys had not interceded it would have continued endlessly down the drain into a giant swirling mass of twisted facts taken from books, purchased but not read to the end, along with stuff that 'my uncle told me' that fit into the picture somehow.
64 PaPa
Ranger

Thanks

Post by 64 PaPa »

Jody, Pete and S. Plavney, Thanks I was about to get into this just to edge it on a little more. Sometimes I wonder how these folks ever come up with this shit.
64 P
Aco 1st Bn(Ranger)75th Inf 79-81
2nd RGR Co Camp Merrill 86-88
5th RTB 88-91
nmuts02
Embryo

Stationing

Post by nmuts02 »

Okay, I recognize my status as a newt with an Option 40 and a ship date in three weeks, but a question a put forth to those who have gone through hell and earned their coveted Ranger tab is this, my recruiter told me even though I might pass Ranger school, it does not guarantee me being stationed with the 75th, could a Ranger offer me insight into this?
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

numbnuts, you are AFU. Do you have an OPT 40? Then you will have the opportunity to go to RIP, if you don't fail out of Basic or Airborne. If you successfully pass RIP, then you will be assigned to a Ranger BN, within the 75th. Ranger School is a looooong way down the road; and has nothing to do with getting INTO BN. If you don't have an OPT 40, then chances are slim (but not impossible) that you might be able to attend RIP. The long and short of it is this: RIP gets you into Ranger BN. Ranger School keeps you there; unless you go to it from another unit. In this case, you simply return to your unit after graduating Ranger School.

This is as simple as I can make it. Do I need to get the monkey interpreters for you?
BTW, you posted this in the WRONG FORUM, attached at the end of a COMPLETELY unrelated thread. GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ASS.
nmuts02
Embryo

You got it

Post by nmuts02 »

Thanks Saltbitch, but I am not totally up to date on the acronyms, I DO have an option 40. I am not trying to sound like a smart ass, I did not mean that in no way whatsoever. Here is what I have== 14 weeks at Ft. Sill starting on Jan 23, I report to MEPS on the 14th of Jan. Then I report to Airborne school on May 5. Then for my first unit of assignment, it merely says Ranger training/school, one of the two, I can not remember off hand. It has been a hectic week due to finals. I know I have to pass one to go on to the other, and I am going to take one at a time. All I can say is I hope and devote all of my prayer to passing each one. But for the sake of sheer unadultered devotion/luck/will that I DO pass each school, I will be assigned to the 75th? I am not familiar with the term BN, and I do apologize for this. I went to Barnes and Noble and purchased every book on Rangers so I can read them and not to pester you and waste your valuable time. I was hoping to be stationed at Ft. Bragg, or with any lucky at all - Italy. Hopefully this small bit of information could provide some insight and if possible, allow for you to use your valuable time time to help a mere DEP. Thank You
proud dad
Tadpole

Post by proud dad »

Mnuts, if your going to be stupid, you better be tough. Stop posting, draw a breath and read around the site awhile, everything you have asked can be found here by reading- If your not banned after that last comment.
Want Italy? Try for the 173 airborne brigade.
Want Bragg? Try for 82nd airborne or Special Forces.
Want airborne? Don't try for the 101st, its air- assault, not Airborne.
Want Ranger? Shut up and read.

I did not know they had OSUT at Sill.
nmuts02
Embryo

Postings in Quantity

Post by nmuts02 »

I have been trying to read everything I could, I appreciate your insight. Due to my schedule at the moment, I have a hard time checking up day to day. So If I have more than one question, I try to post them in the appropriate forums. I work full time and attend school full time. So time to check internet postings is few and far between. I did not mean to sound overeager, it is a time conflict. It is finals week and sleep is a thing of the past.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

First I will correct you. All Rangers on this site are appropriateley identified to where all individuals can easily reconize them. This being, there is no excuse for you not to have refered to Ranger Saltbitch as such. We don't want to earn your respect, we demand it and a sense of self reliance where you won't ignorantly splatter out every question that comes to mind on the forum. You need to take inititive and scan the countless billions of webpages out there that all contain an infinite fountain of knowlege that is only limited by time and your imagination. I'm not going to tell you not to ask questions, because that is one reason why I come here, to try and give input. But first you must show that you have put in some form of effort into answering your question because many have come before you, and many after. All of which have the same general retardation in regaurds to Rangers.

BN stands for Battalion.

Proud dad -- They do have OSUT at Ft. Sill for the 13 series.

Nmuts, if you have an opt40 and make it to RIP, pass that you will be assigned to one of the three Ranger Battalions. Your only problem now is that the MOS you have picked is full in all three battalions. And I'm sure by the time you get here the situation will not have improved. 13F is a great MOS, but you may be shit out of luck. This is what I suggest. Bust your ass off in Basic/AIT/RIP. Trust me, small things you do in basic will stick with you and stand out in RIP, whether you are reconized for them or not, they will know. Here is a list of some goals that are more than achievable at Ft. Sill through Basic and AIT. Some of these you can start today.

One of the biggest is PT. Put up a 300 on that PT test. Reason being, it takes little effort to do because of where you will be. That is one of the major goals of basic training is to get you in shape, so don't fight it.

Get all Go's damnit. You will know what I mean once you get there. The tests that they have are stupidly easy. This being, they don't take much to go all FUBAR on as well. Study the IET soldiers handbook. Read up on first-aid, map reading, the M-16, Rank structure, D&C, and the Army Values. If you listen to what is said and taught, basic is very valuable. Much can be learned and created there.

Work hard in AIT. 13F is a very shot course for probably one of the most complex combat positions in the Army. You need to pay attention, and you need to know how to Call for Fire. Inside of the CFF you must know the Six Elements of the Call for Fire, and the 15 subsequent corrections. That is just the bare bones of what you need. It's not a lot, but it will put you ahead of the game. I know it doesn't make sense to you, but keep a mental note of it so when it comes up you will know that they really are important. There is much to being a 13F. Very little of which is taught in AIT. So get what you can from it.

Learn the Ranger Creed. Even if you do not make it here, it is very worth living by. It will help you keep focus through Basic/AIT.

Do keep your focus. Remember why the fuck you are in basic/AIT/Airborne putting up with all the bullshit. You want to be part of the most elite infantry unit in the world. Don't forget it. If you lose your goals, you lose your motivation and inspiration. So if you think it sucks, or you miss home, suck it up and drive on because you have the bigger picture in sight.

I'm done... If you have questions about 13F you are welcome to message me. Do not post them here in this post, or on the forums. You know where the information on your job is now located, so if you want it come get it.

Also, drop and do fucking pushups. 25 and you better do one for the Airborne Ranger in the Sky. I expect a response letting me know this is done. Airborne school is small, and I have a good memory. May 5th eh?
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

OK, DEPers..start the feeding frenzy! The above post is filled with good, current information. Soak it up. With the river of knuckleheads that we've seen flood through the site lately, these types of posts don't pop up very frequently. Good post, Dis!
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.

Return to “About Airborne School”