Shopping for an M4 (PIX Added)

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
CWeber
Ranger

Shopping for an M4 (PIX Added)

Post by CWeber »

I am trying to figure out which .223 M4 style rifle to buy. I really don't have a budget, but I'm kinda cheap. Any suggestions?
Last edited by CWeber on January 29th, 2008, 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B. Co. 3/75 92-94
Wpns Plt.
RS 10/93

-Only dead fish follow the stream-
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

Are you looking to buy one already built? Or build it yourself?

I have two. One is a DPMS varmit, the other is a Smith / Wesson M&P-15T.

There are so many options out there... from mild to wild. It is almost cheaper to buy a lower through an FFL, do your own trigger assembly, and then get an upper that suits your fancy.

For a tactical gun, I like the Smith / Wesson... but, asside from the free floated, semi-mono rails it has, it's just another mil-spec M4.

I am sure there are others on here that can guide you better than me.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

I have a Rock River Arms entry tactical. In my opinion the trigger is the best factory trigger I've ever fired. I actually prefer it to my Chip McCormick drop in. The only downside is that the gun is very barrel heavy. Everything forward of the front sight post looks normal, but the barrel underneath the handguards is THICK. They normally go for around a grand.

Hope that helps.
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
RGR_Dan
Ranger

Post by RGR_Dan »

GoldCoast wrote:I have a Rock River Arms entry tactical. In my opinion the trigger is the best factory trigger I've ever fired. I actually prefer it to my Chip McCormick drop in. The only downside is that the gun is very barrel heavy. Everything forward of the front sight post looks normal, but the barrel underneath the handguards is THICK. They normally go for around a grand.

Hope that helps.
X2 have the same one
95-98 Aco. 3/75 2nd plt Weapons Sqd
98-01Hco 121st LRS
Former LEO
Former Contractor
LEO (round 2)
Grifter
Ranger

Post by Grifter »

handled one of the RR Ar's a couple weeks back. i cant say i noticed the extra weight. next time i am over that way i will see if i can get a box weight between the RR and the S & W...if i recall the S&W was a couple hundred bucks cheaper when they first released it..not sure how prices have balanced out now..

good hunting. i have wanted one of these for a while was well just havent had the time or the extra cash to go out and pick it up.

that time is right around the corner now.
Jan 00-Dec 03
1/75th C-2 / HHC SNOT.
OEF/OIF
RS Class 06-01
Black to Tan Change-over Ranger
MI Glenn English Base of USARA
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

DEA chooses Rock River

Click on the 'Guns Magazine, October 2004' link. That will open the article I referring to.

This is what made me interested in the company. Fooling around with a Rock River that someone else owned while stationed in Iraq finalized the decision for me.
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
CWeber
Ranger

Post by CWeber »

The RRA gun is definately one of the the ones I've considered. I'm really not sure about buying a lower seperate from an upper. I'm sure its not a big deal, however I would rather just get a complete rifle with some sort of warranty. So if there was any sort of problem I could'nt figure out I would'nt be responsible for figuring out what it was. I do like the "Entry Tactical" and appreciate the advice
B. Co. 3/75 92-94
Wpns Plt.
RS 10/93

-Only dead fish follow the stream-
VengefulIcebox
Tadpole

Post by VengefulIcebox »

Ranger CWeber, here are some links from one website that is dedicated to the M4 weapon. Among the site are many current forum posts of end users describing their experience, both good and bad, with their purchases. I don't think registering is required to read the forums, but appears needed to search the site.
Good luck, and enjoy your purchase whatever it may be.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642
Comparison chart of manufacturers options/attributes.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7355
Knowledge base thread compilation.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7009
Technical information compilation.
War is cruelty. There's no use trying to reform it, the crueler it is the sooner it will be over.
-William Tecumseh Sherman
another damn texan
Ranger

Post by another damn texan »

I've got a S&W AR and it has yet to give me problems and I've put alot of ammo through it. I think that they are made by Stag Arms and everything is mil-spec. Stag makes very good rifles for a good price. Definitley look into them.
Bco 3/75 1993-1996
RS 1-95
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Build your own. Even building in the cost of new tools, you'll get a kick-ass gun at a reasonable price, built to your specs, and you'll know it inside and out.

AR15.com has complete guides.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
gunsmittys
Paratrooper

Post by gunsmittys »

I have a DPMS M4 it is scarey accurate. The beast in incredibly reliable. I ran the beast nearly 5K rounds without cleaning until I started having feeding and extraction issues.

One of my buds has the S&W MP15T..it is a great gun too. He has over 4K through it without any issues.

Most of the firearms on the market are pretty damn good. I would steer clear of Olympic Arms. I ahve heard too many stories of less than stellar performance. I am going off second hand info from trusted sources.
I am getting older, but refuse to grow up

911th SPS 01/81-10/83
1/94 FA 01/84-05/84--dad died
USMEPCOM 05/84-09/85
18th Abn Cps 10/85-9/87
Still serving today working for the VA
Tupac

Post by Tupac »

Spend more money now and get a POF 415 gas piston upper, and put it on a DPMS or RR lower reciever. You won't have to clean that thing and it runs like steve prefontaine. I did this and I am very happy with the performance.

http://www.pof-usa.com

The POF is in the foreground.
Tupac

Post by Tupac »

POF upper reciever

Return to “Weapons of War”