Change of plans

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Ranger snaplink
Ranger

Post by Ranger snaplink »

Can you do the delayed entry program?
When they kick at your front door
How you gonna come?
With your hands on your head
Or on the trigger of your gun-The Clash

1/75 Aco 2-1 '00-'02
HHC '02-'03
OEF I
OIF I
5/19 SFG
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

Stay in school, the GED thing is definately not the way to go (I'm speaking from experience) if you have to, move in with a relative or something until you graduate. If you try to go in early with plans on becoming a Ranger later down the road, you are setting yourself up for failure before you get started.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

Rangerguru wrote:Stay in school, the GED thing is definately not the way to go (I'm speaking from experience) if you have to, move in with a relative or something until you graduate. If you try to go in early with plans on becoming a Ranger later down the road, you are setting yourself up for failure before you get started.
x2!

Having a GED will screw you out of a lot of money when it comes to signing bonus time. Having a GED instead of a real diploma cost me in the neighborhood of $12,000.

You sound like a smart fellow who is in a bad situation and looking for an exit strategy. I advise you to take your time and plan carefully. Don't just rush out the door. Finish school - work harder than ever to make sure you get good grades, PT the shit out of yourself in preparation for Basic, and the day you turn 18 enlist for the contract you really wanted all along. Everyone on this site knows what it feels like to be fed up. Just use your smarts and work this situation to your advantage.
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
Jason113
US Army Veteran

Post by Jason113 »

Prodigy922 wrote:Ranger Guru, and Ranger GoldCoast, thank you very much I understand now. I think I was just in a furious mood at the moment. I try to always keep myself happy regardless of the circumstances. I'll finish the year out and go opt. 40. Thanks Rangers.

Also, does anyone know anyone who became a smoke jumper after Rangers? That's what I'd want to do after Rangers, I have all my firefighting certifications. Can't wait for recruitment day.
Do some research on that, and if you can get some experience as a hotshot or helitack, it'd help as training slots for smokejumpers are competitive as all hell.
11-M,B co. 3/15 Inf.
24th I.D. 90-91
Formerly the_machine
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Your present circumstances remind me of myself long ago, except for the self pity. After the 11th grade, I left home and got a summer job, and shared a rented room in someone's basement with another kid in similar situation. During my senior year I sold magazine subscriptions after school.

Stop fretting about a few months... Do not let your present predicament dictate the rest of your life. Do not enlist as a means of running away from your problems. Stop being a victim. Take control. Find some work, get a roof over your head and food in your belly. Use the computer at your local library and stay in touch with this site for the help you need, and you will get it if you show the right attitude. Enlist in the DEP program and get your diploma.

You have a challenge and a great opportunity facing you. Rise to the occasion and take responsibility for yourself and getting your life in order. You can do it, or you can let whatever be done to you. It is your choice.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group

Return to “Recruitment Process”