CWST

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Morgan

CWST

Post by Morgan »

Combat Water Survival Test

Ok, so what really is the CWST. All I know is that the hand you your rifle and gear and push you in a pool to see if you sink or swim. Now I know you guys cant tell me everything but at least give me a preview here. How can I get ready for the test?
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Morgan:

Best thing you can do is just practice swimming in the pool. If you can swim 200-300 yards without stopping, with swim trunks then you should have no problem with swiming 50 meters with uniform and boots on. The main thing is that you get to choose the stroke and I don't think there is a super short time limit or anything.

Next, if memory serves well, there is a treading water component to the test. Personally, I think this is the most difficult part as you have to tread in uniform and boots for something like 5 minutes.

Also, the go off the highdive blindfolded part is pretty cool. And the 'ditch and don' part where you abandon your gear, then go down and get it, in the deep end of the pool. I didn't think this was too hard, but there is wide variety to swimming skills and how comfortable people are in the water.

When I was a kid growing up, I got to spend a majority of time in the water. It seemed like a majority of activity revolved around swimming in the river (strong current), jumping from cliffs, bridges, etc... Largest jump I ever made was the cliffs in La Jolla where you have to time the incoming surf and just go for it, I think it was like 90 feet or something. Pretty insane, but I lived and it was fun.

But the main point is that there is wide variety in swimming ability and swimming is often overlooked as people get consumed with PT, PT, PT and there is quite a bit more to being a Ranger than just PT.
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Thanks for your time pneves, I plan on getting some time in the water this summer and get a good start. I'm not much of a swimmer myself but I am used to swimming in strong currents and freezing waters having lived in Washington (cold fast moving water) and northern California (cold fast moving ocean.) I defiantly know how to swim in just about any conditions and have a slight fright when out in the middle of a lake (which is overcome-able.) I think all I really need to do is work on endurance.

Is the whole CWST in a pool?

-Luttman
Spartan

CWST

Post by Spartan »

Yep, should be in a pool so they can see you better when you drown.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Morgan,

if you can swim, don't worry about the cwst.....what you have to prepare for is fighting through the shock of jumping in the pool.....you go "uuuuuuuu" as the cold water saps all the air from your system. Fight through that and you'll be fine. Sure was fun to watch all the wusses freeze up at that point and not even move!

I know I'm new here, but I had to chime in about the pool.....I still remember how warm it was in dec. 91...
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

There I was ..... no shit.

The ditch and donne (spelling?) save both my life and my Tm Ldrs life one day on a river crossing. He was the rope man, and I was the scout swimmer. Those damn intercoastal rivers can be tricky, man.

Pay attention to the training. Most times it is the little things you think you will never use that come up and test you. I owe my life to those lovely mornings swims in December.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

I already stated this as a comment in another thread, but I think it might be beneficial in this catagory, also.

If you're not "up to par" on your swimming, or feel the need to supplement your PT during your time off in ABN school, you can jog on down, past Burger King, to the Briant Wells Field House(gym). They have an indoor pool you can utilize, all you need is your ID card to get in. They have Nautilus and free-weights, but I really wouldn't spend the time on them. Your RIP APFT consists of push-ups, sit-ups, a two-mile run(on a track that is actually slightly longer :twisted: ) and pull-ups(palms in). There is no is no power-lifting category, no "clean-jerk", and no bench press competitions. CONCENTRATE ON THE TEST/TASK AT HAND, gentlemen. All the BN's have their own private weight rooms(you 1st BN guys have the best one I've ever seen, lucky MF's :x ) and you can hone your MR. UNIVERSE bodies when/if you get there.....
Tankkiller275
Ranger

Post by Tankkiller275 »

Yeah,

I remember the outdoor pool. Had to break the ice off the top first. Even then the first few back in were breaking thin ice that had formed on top again. Nothing like Benning in Jan-Feb. As a kid growing up, I didnt' have alot of water time, as I grew up in the foothills and mountains of the Blues in the PNW. I did get to jump off a few cliffs on the Columbia, but not that often. I guess you could have said I was not a strong swimmer, but knew the basics. With that basic knowledge and a strong, stubborn mind I made it through. If you do the test in the winter, know that the cold, cold water will quickly sap the strength right out of ya, as previously mentioned. Don't panic, and breath easy.

RTLW
A Co. 2/75, WPN's Plt - Ratbastard, A-T 90-93, Class 8-91

"I will not disgrace the soldier's arms, nor abandon the comrade who stands by my side, but whether alone or with many, I will fight to defend things sacred and profane. I will hand down my country not lessened, but larger and better than I have received it."
Ancient Athenian Oath
Morris0352
Ranger

Post by Morris0352 »

uh oh...my RIP class is set for January I think somewhere in there.
Bell

Post by Bell »

No shit, there I was, back in 1980 and not looking forward to the swim test. Many stories and none of em good. RIP was held at HAAF back then and the swim test was done in the canal.

They marched us out there, about 8 miles, quickly of course, and made us hold up about 100 yards from the truck. Ya couldn't see a thing from where they parked us. They called us up one at a time and ya had to climb up on that one ton van. 3 sergeants up there waitin and grinnin at ya while another one was screaming in yer ear not to dent or scratch HIS truck. Well, when ya got to the top of the truck one of the sergeants would grab ya, drag ya to attention, check yer shit to make sure it was tied on, then told ya to recite some stanza of the Ranger Creed. About 2 words into the Creed he'd slam ya in the chest with both hands and blast ya off the top of that truck. DAMN! It not only hurt but ya were flying backwards about 20 feet off the water and ya didn't know there was water behind ya. Scared the shit out of ya. When ya hit the water it was a long way to shore. Swam my ass off and finally made it. Dropped the weapon and dog paddled like a pussy. Motorboating the water with my hands cause I was sinking like a rock. Fookin water was so cold I couldn't breathe at all. Pantin and paddlin till I could touch bottom.

Then we all stood there and watched the other poor victims go through the same procedure. Quite a few had to be drug out of the water and we never saw em again. Some of those poor guys did flips off the top of that truck and hit the water hard.

Learned a lesson that day. Be ready for anything, and never ever quit.

Then there was Ranger School where the water was colder, but that's another story.

RLTW
Bell
Morris0352
Ranger

Post by Morris0352 »

Pneves, you said you go off the highdive blindfolded. Now is this a platform high dive or a diving board?? and approx. how high is it??? I wouldn't really have a problem falling 30' but a lot of people have never cliff jumped or anything.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Wait and see. I was going to recommend you to train up for it, but you'd probably hurt yourself and then blame me for it. Soooo.... Just wait and see what they throw at you, err.. what they're going to throw you off. :shock:
Morris0352
Ranger

Post by Morris0352 »

Ohh HAHAHH No I wouldn't be training up for that one, I'm leaving in two weeks so I can't get hurt like that. My friend and I are debating. I think that they'll make me go off of a platform High dive at about 30'+ ft. He think that they can't do that because too many people will get hurt if you're blindfolded so he thinkins it's around 10-15' ft. no more than 20'. That's why I was wondering. i guess I'll wait a few months and see :D

Return to “About Army Physical Training”