California High School Proficiency Exam

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Feuerfaust
Embryo

California High School Proficiency Exam

Post by Feuerfaust »

The CHSPE is an exam that under state (CA) law is the legal equivelant of a high school diploma. The earliest it can be taken is 10th grade. In California, at least, all institutions that require a HS diploma must by law accept the CHSPE's "certificate of proficiency", I believe it's called, in place of a HS diploma.

My question is, how does the CHSPE tie into enlisting? Is it accepted in leiu of a HS diploma? Are some MOSs or contracts exempt from accepting this?
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

CHSPE is mentioned in the recruiting regulation. i would have to read up on it before i can answer just yet. give me a little while and i'll get back to you.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

after checking the reg, CHSPE is considered an ALTERNATE high school credential.

Essentially a GED.

therefore, while you would be eligible to enlist, you would NOT be eligble for an OP40 CONTRACT.

do what Ranger Sobersides says, if possible, and get your diploma. or 15 college credits.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Feuerfaust
Embryo

Post by Feuerfaust »

Thank you SFC Hit_it, I did not know it was more a GED type deal than a diploma.

If I do go ahead with the CHSPE, I would be going to a community college in place of 11th and 12th grade, which would satisfy the 15 college credit requirement. I'll further consult my education councilor to learn more about my options.

Just for clarification, 15 college credits are a GO for an OPT40?

Anyway, thanks for the responses!
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

yes, there are other ways to be considered a HS grad for enlistment purposes.

a GED with 15 credits is most common.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Feuerfaust
Embryo

Post by Feuerfaust »

Roger, thanks again SFC Hit_it.

Return to “Recruitment Process”