Myofascial Release

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Julieanne
US Army Veteran

Myofascial Release

Post by Julieanne »

Has anyone else had this done?

I have a neighbor who is a personal trainer, I gave her a call last week about the knee pain that I was having, and we decided that it would be good to have her "roll me out". She came over this morning and commenced to rolling out my calves and adductors; It hurt, but I think it is really going to be worth it. I have 2 more sessions to go, and I would just encourage EVERYONE to find somebody to do this for you! She works for Gold's Gym, and the fitness trainers there are supposed to be able to do this...

Anyhow, she started by having me raise my arms above my head and then do about 20 squats, while she watched each part of my body as it moved. I was humbled - apparently my "great form", is not so great, I have bits and pieces compensating for other bits and pieces! I have so many back issues that my body just does it's own thing, in the least painful way. Anyhow, since I am having pain in my knee, we decided to start from the bottom and work our way up. Needless to say, I am excited to add this bit of therapy to my routine.

Here's a link:

MFR

I'd like to hear if anyone else has done this, and what your results were!

Thanks
~Julie
XVIII ABN Corps, Desert Storm Jan '91-May'91
319th MI BN May '91-Sept '93

"With the power of conviction, there is no sacrifice."
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Is that like My Fecal Release? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

that's what I thought it said when I first looked at it. :shock:
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Julieanne
US Army Veteran

Post by Julieanne »

Ranger Luna wrote:Is that like My Fecal Release? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

that's what I thought it said when I first looked at it. :shock:
Too much coffee? :wink: :lol: :lol:

In all seriousness.. I cannot wait until she gets up to my back! My legs are feeling so good right now, I wouldn't know what to do without pain in my back... THAT would be amazing!
~Julie

Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Re: Myofascial Release

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Julieanne wrote:we decided that it would be good to have her "roll me out".

Anyhow, she started by having me raise my arms above my head and then do about 20 squats, while she watched each part of my body as it moved. I was humbled - apparently my "great form", is not so great, I have bits and pieces compensating for other bits and pieces!
Are your knee caps crooked ?
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
DixieRat
Ranger

Post by DixieRat »

Did the MFR treastments work? I have some pretty intense knee pain (among other things) and would like to find some kind of relief.
B/1/319th PFA, 82nd Abn Div 6/72-2/75
C/2/75 3/75-4/76
1/84th FA, 9th ID 5/76-8/77
TUSLOG Det 67 9/77-10/78

Tabless Bitch
Julieanne
US Army Veteran

Post by Julieanne »

Flesh Thorn wrote:

Anyhow, she started by having me raise my arms above my head and then do about 20 squats, while she watched each part of my body as it moved. I was humbled - apparently my "great form", is not so great, I have bits and pieces compensating for other bits and pieces!
Would that be noticeable? Because they look fine to me.

When Cheryl was evaluating my movements, she said my knees have a tendency to pull in, my toes go out, the insides of my feet lift up, and my lower back arches too much... how's that for a pretty picture? :? :lol: I have to ephasize, it is slight enough that most people would not notice this, but it's also significant enough to cause problems. I was seriously suprised, I thought I had great form (which is why I ask if it would be noticeable!). I am SO glad I had her come over!
~Julie

Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

Julieanne wrote:
Flesh Thorn wrote:

When Cheryl was evaluating my movements, she said my knees have a tendency to pull in, my toes go out, the insides of my feet lift up, and my lower back arches too much... how's that for a pretty picture? :? :lol: I have to ephasize, it is slight enough that most people would not notice this, but it's also significant enough to cause problems. I was seriously suprised, I thought I had great form (which is why I ask if it would be noticeable!). I am SO glad I had her come over!
When I saw myofaxcial release I read it as " My Old Facial Release" and was thinking something completely different " :oops: :oops:

You do realize you could sell DVD's of this "evaluation", right? :wink:

And as far as a problem goes, the knees pulling in sound like the only issue - toes out, feet up, and over arched back is one hell of a GOOD response in my experience.... :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
Julieanne
US Army Veteran

Post by Julieanne »

DixieRat wrote:Did the MFR treastments work? I have some pretty intense knee pain (among other things) and would like to find some kind of relief.

My knee hasn't been hurting as much as last week b/c I stopped doing all the things that were hurting it - I started taking glucosamine, I've been using the elliptical for cardio, and doing leg extensions for quads. Each day has been getting better. After my 1st MFR treatment this morning, my knee is seriously feeling fine. AND, today I haven't taken any motrin either... considering that last week I could hardly walk down the stairs, I am pretty pleased.
~Julie

Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

Am I the only person exited by this? :lol: :shock: :lol: :shock:

Actually I have heard great things about it. I have personally had it done though.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
Julieanne
US Army Veteran

Post by Julieanne »

Oto-Man wrote:
Julieanne wrote:
Flesh Thorn wrote: Are your knee caps crooked ?

When I saw myofaxcial release I read it as " My Old Facial Release" and was thinking something completely different " :oops: :oops:

You do realize you could sell DVD's of this "evaluation", right? :wink:

And as far as a problem goes, the knees pulling in sound like the only issue - toes out, feet up, and over arched back is one hell of a GOOD response in my experience.... :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good Lord.... :oops:
~Julie

Julieanne
US Army Veteran

Post by Julieanne »

BS502 wrote:Sorry Jules, I saw something about a facial in the title too. :oops: :lol: :wink:

In seriousness, I've never heard of this procedure, although I'd pay a high price to kick that pain in my lower back. Do you know what something like this might cost (on average)?
I think it ranges anywhere between $40-$120/ session.
~Julie

Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Julieanne wrote:
When Cheryl was evaluating my movements, she said my knees have a tendency to pull in, my toes go out, the insides of my feet lift up, and my lower back arches too much...
If your knee cap tracks crooked it will not glide in the groove correctly and that can cause the knee pain.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This thread didn 't turn out the way you expected, huh?
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando

Return to “Medical Issues”