Land Nav problems, Yankee North

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
m-14.762
US Army Veteran

Land Nav problems, Yankee North

Post by m-14.762 »

Rangers,

I had trouble on Yankee North during the combined day/night course basically the first time around I ran out of time. We weren't suppose to use white light and I could not find any points until day break. I found 5 but one point was off by about 100 meters according to one of the NCO's.

The second time around I got a go but I only found 5 points and I came in with 10 minutes to spare.

I also didn't find any points until day break, I ran to my farthest point which I thought would be easy but even with it 100 meters off the road I couldn't find it in the dark. When I returned after daybreak i found it within a couple minutes I was literally on top of the fucker I just couldn't see it.

I think my plotting is good, I think my dead reckoning is good, its just those night points that are kicking my ass any help?
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

when all the trails converge, look really hard with a red lens right around there.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

Use an offset method on something for a point not that prominent or with a lack of distinct features around the point.

Keep in mind if you know yourself and how well you navigate, take into account whether you have a tendency to drift left or right along with how much it's multiplied with distance involved and adjust for it.

We all do it: i.e. move left around a bush or right around an obstacle etc. Some have a tendency not to vary sides when enroute from point A to B.

Example: Travel a 1000 meters at night across some thick shit and come out 200 meters to the right.

The problem is unless you are God like and know your pace EXACTLY and are dead on while navigating, areas with a lack of features (such as Yankee Road) and you won't know how short, far, left or right you are to compensate and find it.

Another technique is if there is a linear feature combined with a prominent terrain feature close to your point, go for that, find it and replot a shorter azimuth/distance to find it and go from there.

Common excerpt from later on:

"Hey PL, show me where you're at on the map."

"Well Sarn't, we started here, walked to here, stopped here. We then went here............." :roll:

"I said show me where you're at fuzznuts, not the entire hollywood script of no shit, there I thought I was......"

Don't be one of those.

If you constantly carry your map in your cargo pocket and leave it there, you'll get checked that much more.

If you look in all directions and have low ground in all directions, you're on high ground, hill, knob etc.

If you look in all directions and have high ground in all directions, you're in deep shit.

Hope this helps.

:lol: :lol:
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

go short always on land nav, if you try and go long and miss you are fucked, use jamestown, lightning, old cusseta and furhman as hand rails.

what do i know i have only done that course 100 times and graded it 5 zillion
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”