GLOCK 17 vs. Heckler and Koch USP

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
ChipOnShoulder

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

Buy either a Glock 19 or 23 - Why?

Glock 19's take both 19mags and 17 mags.
Glock 23's take both 23mags and 22 mags.

H&K's are great - I carried a USP full size in .45 with a Glock 36 as a back up while guarding the estate of a diplomat here in Northern Virginia. The only problems are concealment issues when it gets hot out! Both Glocks and H&K's are a bitch to conceal.

The ultimate weapon would be a single stack "Chopped" Sig220 if something like this existed for summer concealment. Right now, my normal carry weapons are a Glock 23 with a Kahr MP40 as a back up. If I am just tootin'around town in my truck, I have a Smith and Wesson 686+ in the console loaded with a combination of .357/.38's in the cylinder.

In the dead nuts summer I have a H&K P7M8 in a "smart carry" rig.

Whatever you get, make sure that you get a holster that does not allow the weapon to skin your ass raw after hours of carry----

Other than that, have fun packin' the heat.......
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

I use a Glock 21 in .45 for the usual reasons.
I got it when I messengered for Brinks, years ago.
My selection was based on Glock's reliability & how it handled for me when I test shot them on the range, as suggested above.
The choice of .45 is based on the #1 rule of gunfights: Don't enter a gunfight with any calibre that starts with anything smaller than .4 :twisted:
Seriously, what's most important isn't calibre, it's that you have practiced, Practiced, & PRACTICED SOME MORE with whatever you have.
Select what fits your hand & skill level. I'd add also what you can afford to shoot, but if your purpose is defence, then cost is immaterial, buy the best that you can afford that is also practical for you to use.
I might also mention that you need to practice.
What works best for me overall is the Browning Hi-power, but I went with the .45 glock because in the Brinks circumstances, I'd probably never live long enough to know that I was being robbed, or at best, only get one shot off. If I missed, which is the probability under the circumstances, then the loud 'bang' and flash & blast would hopefully buy me the time to get the second round off.
As it happened, I never found out. Good!
You came to the right site to ask, aside from an unusually high percentage of gun owners & USERS, there's many here who as soldiers & police officers shot at shoot-back targets & can't afford to be swayed by popular fads & opinions, like all the loud mouths at the gun specific websites.
Good luck in your selection - and remember: Make your own luck: PRACTICE.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
another damn texan
Ranger

Post by another damn texan »

I own both a USP 9mm and Glock 17 and I like both of them. Alot of people bitch about the grip angle of Glocks but they probably can't shoot worth a shit anyway. I would say buy the Glock and save yourself a couple hundred dollars. With that extra dough maybe put some tritium sites on and an extra magazine or two.
Bco 3/75 1993-1996
RS 1-95
SAVAGE^
Infantryman

Post by SAVAGE^ »

I believe everyone should go to a range and fire a 1911 framed weapon and any other handgun that interests them. First off find the one that fits best in your hand. Then you have to look at what the purpose of this handgun will be used for. I couldn't honestly say not to buy a Glock or an H&K as I have not owned either or handled either enough to give a worthy report. I own the new Taurus PT1911 and I can say for $530 out-the-door its one hell of a gun. It comes fully loaded with all the bells and whistles and the HEINIE Straight 8 sights work wonderfully for follow up shots. Just shoot and buy what feels right.

Respectfully,
Nik
RRDTm3's bitch
In Airborne hold

"It Only Sucks While Your Doing It"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CloakAndDagger
US Army Veteran

Post by CloakAndDagger »

I know I don't like the H&K USP, it has a bad weight distribution for a .45. It bounces too far off target after you shoot (especially if firing one-handed), makes it hard to get two quick rounds off.

For composite frame .45's, I find that the Smith & Wessons (esp. the 99/99xx series) to be less expensive and better firing, but I suspect the cost savings wouldn't translate over to Austria.

I haven't fired the Glocks, so I can't really say anything about them.

All-in-all, find a range, find some friends, fire their pistols and see what you like and how much they paid.
ChipOnShoulder

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

K. Ingraham is right. You must practice, practice and more practice. As far as rounds are concerned, you better roll your own otherwise you are going into debt big time.

As far as practice is concerned, there is no sub for the real thing so just concentrate on the basics:

draw.
Sight picture.
trigger [b]squeeze[/b].

Work on it until you are on par with Wild Bill Hickock. But do it safely.
ChipOnShoulder

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

I used to think like that until I was issued a fucked up Saddam special in the form of a cookie cutter Browning High Power along with an equally fucked up MP5 clone. Those things were so fucked up and rusted, we had to half ass bend the sights, "restore" them and hope for the best. The mags would split up the back as well. Thats why I am a "gun nut" and strive/search/purchase the best I can find because at times I was literaly issued the worst in weapons.

Oh yeah, and I practice....
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

Parabellum wrote:
zingzong2005 wrote:THANKS a lot!

What about the Heckler and Koch USP ,9mm compared to the Glock 17???
Or are they totally differnet and you can´t compare them.

But I have heared that the USP is a big gun so probably .45 would be more accurate

THX
To be honest with you I hate HK pistols. So my opinion is bais.

Shoot both and see which one you like more.
Can you expand on this one? Curious because I'm looking at getting one. Currently just have a SIG 228, but I've been eyeballing the USP since they came out. Just a steep price tag. Have to admit, part of the appeal is the name. I'd be interested in your experience with the USP, good or bad.
ChipOnShoulder

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

I've owned a USP full size in .45 and it was a really smooth shooting weapon as well as acurate, but it was just too damn big to conceal. I own a 228 as well and the only flaw I can see are the magazines. When it gets right down to it, the Glock, H&K, and sigs are all fantastic pistols -- the only real improvement with them would be in the shooter.
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

Invictus wrote:
Parabellum wrote:
zingzong2005 wrote:THANKS a lot!

What about the Heckler and Koch USP ,9mm compared to the Glock 17???
Or are they totally differnet and you can´t compare them.

But I have heared that the USP is a big gun so probably .45 would be more accurate

THX
To be honest with you I hate HK pistols.
Can you expand on this one?

He got pistol whipped by one when he was in the Old Guard and never recovered! Go easy Leonard
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
Rabidus1
Embryo

Post by Rabidus1 »

I love my full size HK USP .45!! I put 150 rounds through it every Friday at the range, and have never had a jam, misfire, etc...
If anyone is lookin' into gettin a classic single action 1911, I say fuck Springfields and go with any Kimber if you got the $$...preferably the Kimber Desert Warrior!!
The only thing I like about the Springfield XD's are the price, and the porting option.
Moving on to bigger and better things...
Goals in sight, ready to execute!...

Return to “Weapons of War”