B/1/319th PFA, 82nd Abn Div 6/72-2/75
C/2/75 3/75-4/76
1/84th FA, 9th ID 5/76-8/77
TUSLOG Det 67 9/77-10/78

Tabless Bitch
SAVAGE^
Infantryman

Post by SAVAGE^ »

I personally would also go with a remington700. I have a 700VS and love it. 308 is the way to go. There’s so much info and it's a consistent round. Look for something with a nice stock(you‘ll appreciate it later). Try other rifle and hunting forums and look at used rifles too. Half the "used" rifles have only had a handful of shots through them and the owner doesn’t like recoil so sells it.

Nik
RRDTm3's bitch
In Airborne hold

"It Only Sucks While Your Doing It"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ChipOnShoulder

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

Nah....Nah...Nahyeeahnah.

I've got me a Remington 700 5R---- 8)
brittus
Embryo

Savage 10FCM .308 Scout Rifle

Post by brittus »

I had been waiting for Savage to reintroduce their scout rifle with their Accutrigger system and a few updates and when I got it 4 months ago I wasn't disapointed.

The .308 v. (fill in your fave cartridge size) debate will go on ad nauseum, but when it come right down to it this round in the shorter scout rifle configuration (19" brl) gets pretty much all its gas expanded & utilized using modern powders. For what most of us will ever hunt, shoot and kill this gun suits most anything in North American. Longer barrels can increase cant and recoil-based lift error, as the round's trajectory is already being affected before it leaves the barrel, and their harder to move around in the brush.

For this gun, after a check-out and mag-rentention clip tweaking, it was off to the range using the supplied Williams-style ghost ring peep sight. This gun comes with a factory-installed B-Square machined scope rail mounted with multiple drillings into the barrel, whish itself is free-floating. It looks like it could take a bit of travel and woods abuse and still keep your scope where it's suposed to be.

I've always thought it best to go for consistency rather than a particular bulls-eye, and at 25yds indoors I had bullet holes touching holes- straight out of the box- just need to adjust the windage. At 100 yds outdoors, I was getting 5 1/2" groups all day with the iron sights, both at shoulder and from the bench- that's what impressed me. A good, manageable tool.

I live in mid-South Carolina and the hunting is typically close (<200yds) unless you are a feed-and-ambush hunter, then you can shoot across fields when you know your backdrop for great lengths. The scout rifle works well here for carry and deployment, and I'm really amazed at how free of precussive recoil this gun is- I own a Savage syntho .300 WinMag and I dread practicing with it, though it shoots straight and hard a long way. With the 10FCM I feel like this is the size any 6' 175lb human needs.

I bought mine for $475 new from my dealer, who had to call around to find it. It retails for $675 I think (May 2007). It comes with 2 QD sling mounts and an interesting nylon-web "scout" sling, and the bottom-drop bos mag holds 4 rounds in .308 which is all it is offered in right now. According the Joe DeGrande of Savage Arms, they think enough of the .308 round to limit production to that size only for now.

After 200 rounds it's broken in and I love the trigger, which I ended up adjusting to the more taut-end of pull. One thing about these Accutriggers some might not like at first- they are built to pulll and break at the same place everytime, regardless of the inner spring's adjustment. No real "ramp" to squeeze to and then fall off, just a <snap>. My USMC rifle marksman buddy hemmed and hawed, but when it comes to the amount of time most people really spend considering exactly when to squeeze the trigger, the Accutrigger rewards with a Now! release you can count on.

Now to invest in the Leoupold 2.5 power scout scope- I'll be good to go!

I hope more people check out scout-concept guns, they are pretty good all-rounders and fun to shoot.

No flaming or rock-throwing here, but if you go to most reputable gun stores you'll find dealers telling you about horrible quality control issues with the new Rem & Win syntho guns, esp. those sold with the "scope" packages at MalWarts. Seems some companies don;t make 'em like they used to.

Brittus
brittus
Embryo

Accuracy Mistake in Posting!

Post by brittus »

:oops: I neglected to fully proofread my post and it looks like this gun will do 5 1/2" groups from a bench rest- WRONG! :oops:

Without a scope I am getting sub-3" groups with iron sights at the bench, with no vises or support other than arms and elbows! Considering I've had no formal training (yeah, I'm a civilian...) I think that's pretty good.

The rifle continues to impress shooters at my club and I love to have other people try it out- I only wish it were in a more resistant (read: easy to store) finish like stainless, though the blueing on this gun is flawless.

Return to “Weapons of War”