General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

There are so many quotes in this movie... that are historically accurate. Read about Leonidas on Wikipedia. It's really cool...
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

GSXRanger wrote:There are so many quotes in this movie... that are historically accurate. Read about Leonidas on Wikipedia. It's really cool...
That's what made the movie! To see action behind all the quotes that have been told over and over to me since I can understand words is awesome.

I'm going again! This time I'm taking my father.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

300 Spartans sack movie theatres

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- The ancient battle of Thermopylae was the stuff of 2007's first certified blockbuster as the bloody action tale "300" debuted with $70 million over opening weekend, according to studio estimates Sunday.

That's about $233,000 for every one of the legendary 300 Spartan soldiers who fought off a much larger Persian force in the epic battle.

cnn
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

Thursday wrote:
Matador275 wrote:I am going to the IMAX tonight.
You will not be disappointed Ranger Matador. I saw it Friday afternoon at the Imax, and I must say, I would pay double to see it again.

I love that movie. I know it isn't historically accurate but GOD DAMN that was sweet.....

THIS IS SPARTA!

Oh yeah....made me wanna go break shit.
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

I'm taking my father 78 years old to this on Wednesday night. He really wants to see it and as he is an expert on this history it will be interesting to hear his comments.

One thing that I always remember and that is that there were three battles that ensured that Democracy would come to ancient Greece.

Marathon, Thermopylae and Salamis had any of the three not occurred Democracy may have been delayed hundreds of years or more.

The naval battle that occurred during Thermopylae was actually a minor but decisive battle. If I’m not mistake a small Greek fleet blockaded a further southern advance of Xerxis’s fleet and forced them to make the landing at Thermopylae. If they went further south towards Athens they would have had to land close to Thebes and there was an army there.

I’m actually looking forward in seeing this again on Wednesday night.

Oh and my guess on to why they made Xerxis a giant would be that he did consider himeself a demi God and he did control the worlds (at that time) largest army.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
---------
George S. Patton
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

To me it seemed that the characters who were animated / non-human simply represented a visual of their personalities.
FoxHound
Embryo

Post by FoxHound »

This is defintly my new favorite movie, the honor, dicipline, and way of life those Spartans had are very inspiring. I think if i had to choose a favorite part, it would be when the storm is crushing the persian ships and "only one of us maintained our Spartan reserve..." that guy is just way too bad ass for his own good.
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

One mistake that I forgot to tell you about.

When the Thespians left and left the Spartans to deal with the Persians they left out the fact that 700 Thespians returned fought and died along with the 300.

At the actual site of the monument there is another smaller one for the Thespian 700 just 50 meters away.

I suppose that Hollywood wanted to emphasize the Spartans and left out that detail.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
---------
George S. Patton
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: ,

Post by Steadfast »

Chiron wrote:One mistake that I forgot to tell you about.

When the Thespians left and left the Spartans to deal with the Persians they left out the fact that 700 Thespians returned fought and died along with the 300.

At the actual site of the monument there is another smaller one for the Thespian 700 just 50 meters away.

I suppose that Hollywood wanted to emphasize the Spartans and left out that detail.
Typical hollywood, leaving out pertinent information.

I was going to see the show this noon until I saw three school buses parked in the lot - fuck that, I'll go still another day.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

Good movie but I was dissapointed.

The book was better.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Parabellum wrote:Good movie but I was dissapointed.

The book was better.
I agree.

But then, books are almost ALWAYS better.
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Matador275 wrote:To me it seemed that the characters who were animated / non-human simply represented a visual of their personalities.
Some of the characters were a little strange, but still human(oid). I only saw one character that was in no way human, the goat-headed thing (Satyr?).

Now, what's this crap about it not coming to DVD?
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto

Return to “The Mosh Pit”