Why does noone mention overtraining??

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
SgtSommer
Embryo

Post by SgtSommer »

That was not supposed to be an insult, it was supposed to show you what the required fitness levels are. I am a dual citizen living in Canada, but once my time is up I want to head down and pursue the Ranger program. I know that my fitness is a start but thats about it.

I personall do five sets of fifty push ups, 10 sets of sixty sit ups and I run 1.5 miles in just over nine minutes. This is decent, but I still have to build up. All I am trying to tell you is that it's not the muscles that you can see, its the muscles your body will use in a combat situation. You have full gear on for instance, hanging from your hands. The muscles you worked doing pullups are the same muscles being utilized. It's combat effective. The difference between slow twitch and fast twitch, so on, you should just do what thousands have down before you, and once your body has changed, then build it up.
Before you run, learn to walk.
freddytunafish

Post by freddytunafish »

I am not a ranger but I think the rule of thumb here is building up your "work capacity". The workouts that an elite athelete does every day would leave you sore for a long time or injure you. Start doing moderate exersise for 2 weeks then increse for 4 weeks then increase for 4 more weeks and so on. Why would you want to weight train if it is not something you will be doing in RIP? It is good for a change of pace but don't center your routine on it. I read in another post of yours where you said that you have 7 months and that is more than enough time to become fit. I think endurance can be built up alot faster than strength. Personally, I think that judging by your personality in other threads you are a sissy. I am still in high school and I know plenty of kids like you. Unmotivated. It doesn't matter if you dont play a sport because I also know alot of kids who dedicate their time after school to exersising. You are like the 9 out of 10 guys on the BUD/s shows on the discovery channel that spout off this "patriotism will get me through it" stuff. Sorry if I'm wrong but I dont think I am.
RangerDC

Advice...are you going to listen?

Post by RangerDC »

Deadmeat,

You already have a serious problem. Here you have asked a training question to the Ranger community and have gotten expert, been there, done that advice and you still are not listening. If you don't change your attitude, the one where you already know everything, you are never going to make it. It is people like you that I enjoyed smoking on a daily basis.

You should be doing the exercises you are going to be tested in. You are in trouble if you can only knock out 35 puch-ups. What you don't seem to understand is that pushing weight on a bench and pushing our body weight from a prone position are two totally different things. I'll try to explain but I doubt you'll get it. Doing pushups requires many body "stabilizers" to fire at the same time the primary movers are executing the exercise, which increases both the O2 and ATP consumption dramatically. In addition, when you are doing push-ups in the Ranger Regiment only the perfectly executed exercise is counted, which means your back and legs, from your neck to your feet must form a perfectly straight line and when you lower your body your arms must become completely parallel with the ground, which usually requires your chest to touch the clenched fist of the tester who puts his fist on the ground. If you push and it isn't right it doesnt count. If you get tired and your technique sucks you could push all day and only get 20 pushups. You can take a break, but your hands and feet cannot leave the ground, your knees may not touch the ground and you may not rest with your body on the ground, when you resume the exercise your body must be in the correct starting position or none of the exercises count from that point on.
So do push-ups! In fact get used to hearing" GET DOWN! and stop being so hard headed.

Ranger_DC
Rgr_MindRiot

Post by Rgr_MindRiot »

If you quaf at least three pints of Guiness prior to exercising then you will have plenty of carbohydrates to provide strength and stamina. If you are not old enough to drink yet, then go to the library and check out a book on...specops conditioning exercises. Also, remember if you are not in shape now, it will take time for your body to adjust. Don't expect to be able to shave two minutes off your mile run time in just four or five months, it will take time and a plan. So, while there is some good advice provided by people in this forum, go get the info you need from an official source, decide what your goals are, formulate a plan, and stick to it. Don't sit there and say yea, yea, yea. Take charge of your own destiny, don't wait for someone to come along and get in your face and make you do it.

Satis Verborum !
Trung N
Embryo

Post by Trung N »

hey guys to give some input to this i do circuit training it way better then just working 3 parts a day, my day of work is work every part of my body 2 sets and 12 reps each moderate weights, then i do pull ups, situps, and pushups about 2 set of pull ups 15 reps each, 3 set of pushups 40 each and 100 reps of situp. then the next day i run for 2 miles my time so far is 11min and 12 seconds, i can do 80 push ups in 1mins and 10 sec and 100 situp in 2 mins which is ok im shipping out on aug 18th so i feel that im really ready. My endurance is really good so is my speed and strength u so try out my work out tell me what u think...
Morris0352
Ranger

Post by Morris0352 »

aaa
Last edited by Morris0352 on February 18th, 2009, 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

First of all there morris0000, don't ever let me catch you quoting and subsequently questioning another Ranger's advice. In Mindriot's TIB, he's probably run thousands of miles, improved his own run time, and ultimately trained dozens of shitbirds like you how to run to BN STANDARDS. Second of all, so you shaved 2 min off your time...big fuckin' deal. You can probably ONLY get better running your 15 min mile.
You turds always think you know everything...

"A wise man is silent, and people wonder if he is a fool. A fool opens his mouth, and leaves no doubt..."
Morris0352
Ranger

Post by Morris0352 »

a
Last edited by Morris0352 on May 13th, 2010, 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

Roger that, Morris0352. Drive on....

Return to “About Army Physical Training”