my introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

LRSD Ranger
Ranger

Post by LRSD Ranger »

Ok, Zach, I have been told your GT score needs to be 110. Concentrate when you take it this time. You have roughly three weeks, go to a book store and buy an ASVAB study guide. Read it, study and practice the test questions. Much of test taking is nerves. I was horrible during my first shot at a 4-year university, but came back after the Army and graduated with honors. Go get the study guide as soon as you can and get back to me.
Active Duty 1993-1996
25th LRSD Dec 1993-March 1996
Ranger School Class 7-95
Team 4, 25th LRSD
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

LRSD Ranger wrote:Ok, Zach, I have been told your GT score needs to be 110. Concentrate when you take it this time. You have roughly three weeks, go to a book store and buy an ASVAB study guide. Read it, study and practice the test questions. Much of test taking is nerves. I was horrible during my first shot at a 4-year university, but came back after the Army and graduated with honors. Go get the study guide as soon as you can and get back to me.
Congratulations, LRSD Ranger, looks like you have your first mentee.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
IDon'tCare
Ranger

Post by IDon'tCare »

Zach, I'm pulling for you. Best of luck and keep us updated.
A co 2/75 80-84
Ranger class 12-82
SERE Instructor class 1-83

Mentor to Prodigy922 / KW12 / whiskeytango
PurduePara203
Ranger

Post by PurduePara203 »

Zach, I'm glad you decided to check the site out. It sounds like you're finding answers for all those questions you were asking me before. Keep reading, keep studying, keep doing PT and listen to the advice the Rangers here give you, especially LRSD-Ranger. He's doing his best to set you up for success and pretty soon it's going to be your turn to pay it back. Study hard, do well on your ASVAB and don't settle for anything less than your goal.
"In a world of compromise, some don't"

HHC 1-323rd 2001-2002 (USAR)
151st INF Det. (LRS) (ABN), 38th ID, IN National Guard 2003-present, currently Sniper section assistant team leader
Ranger Class 07-06
LRSD Ranger
Ranger

Post by LRSD Ranger »

Thanks Ranger Jim. I think Zach will be fine with some help from us and a lot of elbow grease on his part.

Zach-
Ok, you took the ASVAB not so long ago from what you mentioned before. Where did you struggle the most? Also, you knew your overall score, but can you find out what your previous GT score was (this is what will stop you from that OPT 40, so let's focus on that)?
Active Duty 1993-1996
Ranger School Class 7-95
Team 4, 25th LRSD
LRSD Ranger
Ranger

Post by LRSD Ranger »

Zach-

Also, don't feel pushed. If you need more time, reschedule the ASVAB for another day, they'll give it any time, they always need Rangers. Your score is what counts, not the date when you take it. You need that GT score to be right. Is there any personal reason that would stop you from doing that (life is life, you may be pushed for reasons I am not aware of, if so, tell me)?
Active Duty 1993-1996
Ranger School Class 7-95
Team 4, 25th LRSD
LRSD Ranger
Ranger

Post by LRSD Ranger »

Ok, I can understand that. That's a pretty wide berth of areas to work on, so let's narrow it to necessties. Here's a scale I found online that can help you see where to focus.

The ASVAB subtests for determining the composites are: General Science (GS), Arithmetic Reasoning (AR), Word Knowledge (WK), Paragraph Comprehension (PC), Numerical Operations (NO), Coding Speed (CS), Auto and Shop Information (AS), Mathematics Knowledge (MK), Mechanical Comprehension (MC), Electronics Information (EI), and Sum of Word Knowledge and Paragraph Comprehension, scaled (VE).

Current aptitude area composites used for MOS selection are as follows:

CL -Clerical-VE+AR+MK

CO -Combat-AR+CS+AS+MC

EL -Electronics-GS+AR+MK+EI

FA -Field Artillery-AR+CS+MK+MC

GM- General Maintenance-GS+AS+MK+EI

GT- General Technical-VE+AR

MM- Mechanical Maintenance-NO+AS+MC+EI

OF- Operators and Food-VE+NO+AS+MC

SC - Surveillance and Communications-VE+AR+AS+MC

ST- Skilled Technical-GS+VE+MK+MC

So, Reading comprehension and basic math reasoning/solving skills will be your two best sections to focus on. First, take a sample test on AR, PC and WK sections if that's possible and see where you are right now. Do you have one in that book? Do that and report back. Be truthful, you will only be hurting yourself. This not going to be fun, but it will pay off, trust me.
Active Duty 1993-1996
Ranger School Class 7-95
Team 4, 25th LRSD
LRSD Ranger
Ranger

Post by LRSD Ranger »

I think you are definitely smart to ask for a few more weeks. They got me my papers and out the door to basic in 30 or 40 days. I'm assuming that just so long as you can ship this summer is what matters. Is the school you are at run a regular High School type calendar?

That's really good for your first go round on 2 of the 3 categories Zach. That leaves us a little less to be worried about. We know you don't have to score 100% on each to get what you need, but shoot for it anyway. Act your life depends on it, since it really does (maybe not life and death, but your quality of life and the way you look yourself in the face in the mirror might as well be the same as that).

What type questions are the word knowlegde? Is it word association and such (reason I ask is I'm an english, art, history person, so I can help you with this)?
Active Duty 1993-1996
Ranger School Class 7-95
Team 4, 25th LRSD
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

4 page intro's are for potential hot chicks.......wtf. :?
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
LRSD Ranger
Ranger

Post by LRSD Ranger »

Ranger Luna-

I hadn't realized we had done that much until you said that. I'll move this to pm's.

Zach-

Check your private messages. We'll use that from here on out.
Active Duty 1993-1996
Ranger School Class 7-95
Team 4, 25th LRSD

Return to “Introduction Archive”